The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How many of the M9 shooters are skipping M240

wolverine

Not skipping. Just waiting. The M9P works wonders for me. Its only weakness from my perspective is macro. The M240 with an R 100 APO has me thinking that it may be better than that 3 letter word. Not really! :bugeyes: I just do not adopt the untested technology. I really appreciate early adopters because they provide such a great service that I am just not willing to slug through. In about a year when you can find one in stock I will upgrade. An OMD-5 is working for macro right now. Thank you to those who test and provide feedback to leica. Great work on behalf of us all. :salute: :clap: Frank

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I am not skipping, just waiting. In the digital world, patience is a virtue. I never buy a camera that is on waiting list. I will buy the M when there will be at least 2-3 copies at the local dealer. In case one body is faulty I can exchange it immediately not send it back to Leica. When I bought the M9 it developed a fault with the shutter display in the VF overnight, but I exchanged it the next day with a new body. I expect the M to become available in stock by end of 2014. In the meanwhile I will enjoy the M9.
Ditto. Been there, done that.

I miss my M9 and I fully intend getting back in to the Leica system as I really really enjoyed using both film (M6/M7/MP) and digital (all the M8's, M9) but dropped out to pay for the money pit that is medium format digital. However, what I've learned over a long time and lot's of cameras is that it pays to let someone else do all of the beta and post beta (better known as the first 1000+ production cameras) testing.

Does anyone seriously doubt that Leica will not address any issues with the new M? You KNOW that it'll live up to the promises but it might take 6-12 months to finally get it dialed in. Of course by that time everyone will be bitching and moaning about all the things they want in the next M ...

Keep testing guys. We'll jump back in when the water's ready. :thumbs:

In the meantime, I'm STILL panting after an MM. I hate that financially I had to let mine go :cry:

Godfrey

In the meantime, I'm STILL panting after an MM. I hate that financially I had to let mine go.
I'd like one too as I so often prefer B&W that there are many many photos in my catalog that I've never looked at the color capture.

Maybe some day.

G

wuffstuff

Sold M9. Tested the demo M. No enthusiasm for it at all. Seems like a weedy half-assed Nikon/Canon/Leica attempt at a camera (my opinion, that's all - worthless to anyone except me).

I purchased a Monochrom at the same outlet as I tested the M demo. Pure and sweet.

jaree

Pre-ordered it as soon as it was available. Cancelled the pre-order two weeks back as I checked my M9 and did not find any issues with it. I will buy a used M240 in 2015 or a new M350 in 2016. My M9 was also bought used more than 2 years after release, at a good discount.

Stuart Richardson

The M9 is too good for me to consider selling at the moment. I can get a beautiful print up to about 100x75cm, and I have the S2 for higher resolution and SLR work. They are both so good, and so similar in their file characteristics that separating them does not seem worth it to me. There is a harmony between the two systems that I enjoy -- a consistent look and feel that makes it easier for my own work to be more internally consistent. So the idea of selling the M9, which I know well and works extremely well, did not seem to make much sense for me. The other issue I find is that Leica equipment tends to be rather fussy (many would surely know what I am talking about!). In the beginning they are often hard to get working consistently or require trips back to Solms to mate well with your existing gear. But once they settle in, I have found they keep working very well and consistently for as long as I have owned them. So for me, changing out a camera or lens is a big deal, not just for the cost, but for the time and effort in getting everything in my system working perfectly and reliably again.
At the moment, I have had two years where my M9 and S2 and their lenses are all working brilliantly together, and the idea of disrupting that performance just to get a bit more resolution or higher ISO do not make sense for me. Perhaps that will change at the next generation....

Jeff S

In the beginning they are often hard to get working consistently or require trips back to Solms to mate well with your existing gear.
Your overall post is wise and pragmatic IMO. Just one small clarification, that you may already intend, and that is that Leica Service doesn't calibrate lenses or cameras to mate with each other as their standard practice. Rather, each is calibrated to an independent standard. Some have a misconception about this because Leica often requests that all the gear be sent in, but that's because the user may not know the exact issue, and adjusting everything is easier and safer. [Of course, one may also request special adjustments, but that's not the norm.] Digital tolerances are much tighter than film and things get out of whack, sometimes even after adjustment.

Apologies if you already understand this to be the case. In any event, it doesn't change your underlying premise that it's a royal PITA, and takes up a lot of time and effort to get things sorted out.

Jeff

Stuart Richardson

Yes Jeff, you are probably right! I am on their professional service, so I get the option to send whatever I like back in twice a year. If you buy a new lens or camera, they will adjust your equipment so that it works well together. But it is never really practical to send everything in, so I generally have just sent in the cameras and lenses that work well together, and the (usually new) one that does not. Having done that I have gotten back equipment that works brilliantly. They have never charged me for this (don't know if it is standard practice with the new gear, or if it is a courtesy for their professional service), but it has taken a few weeks at least round trip. The gear itself has seldom been longer than a week or 10 days at the factory, but the shipping to and fro takes time for Iceland...even when express carriers are used, they usually take at least 4-5 days with customs and all, as the shipping is never direct...it always has to go to London or Copenhagen first, and then on to Frankfurt and then Solms.
Edit: I should also note that their customer service and behavior about this sort of thing has been absolutely fantastic, and they have earned me as a lifetime customer because of it. I have had great difficulties getting some other camera companies to deal with issues, but with Leica there has never been a question. If something is not working for me, they have taken it in, and either repaired or replaced it, with no denials or difficulties. They have often gone beyond the norm as well, such as doing a full CLA as a courtesy and not charging for it, or repairing issues that I have not even noticed.
For example, I once sent in my M9 which developed a senor line after a few months of ownership. They replaced the CCD entirely, rather than subtracting the line in firmware. They also readjusted the rangefinder. But what truly impressed me was that the "I" in Leica on the back of the camera had been worn away. It was the only letter that was missing any paint, as was very subtle...only a millimeter wide. I did not mention anything about it, but when I got the camera back, the camera had had the missing letter filled in. To me, this is a sign that they really care. They went over that camera with a fine-toothed comb, not just to address the issue I had with it, but to really determine if it was perfect. I have not experienced that level of service before, and it was one of the things that made me confident to spend the money on the S2 -- I felt like they had the service level to care for something that expensive.

iiiNelson

If I had to make a final decision today I'd skip the M240. My next M will be an MM plain and simple. The jury is still out on the M240 and while I've seen some promise in some pictures the percentage of images that just "grab you" doesn't match the M9 at the same stage. That being said the MM went through a similar process and people needed time to "learn it" so this is not an utter indictment on the M240. It's just #3 on the list of Leica camera's I want behind the MM (which I can afford) and the S system (which I'd be able to afford if I played the lottery and got lucky... or sold all of my camera equipment for.)

baudolino

I am skipping, in fact bought a new M9P (one of the last made) earlier this year and very happy about it. But I also have an S2 that satisfies my lust for more resolution and ultimate quality, when I don't mind the size and weight. Having said that, I still haven't seen any really impressive photos anywhere, taken with the M240 (maybe I am not looking well enough but I remember a lot of memorable photos taken with the M9 since its launch, including on LFI, this forum, books, magazines).

seakayaker

I will be skipping, if the M9 is good for a 150,000 acquisitions then I will be keeping it around for awhile longer, most likely much longer.

I am happy with the camera and the output.

If I was going to spend the money it would be for the Monochrome, and I have not completely got my head wrapped around spending 8K for another camera.

Time and patience, ya that's it, time and patience.

anGy

Just buy an M and use it as an MM until color issues are not fixed ;-)
Had the chance to make a few pictures with both and to print them, the MM performs better even upscaled 150% and the greys transitions are very sweet but at very, very close inspection only. Checked with 2 other photographers that came to the same conclusion: M is cheaper, has way better specs and is almost as good for B&W, color in option, so forget about the MM.
I'm trying, don't know if I'll succeed..

fotografz

Just buy an M and use it as an MM until color issues are not fixed ;-)
Had the chance to make a few pictures with both and to print them, the MM performs better even upscaled 150% and the greys transitions are very sweet but at very, very close inspection only. Checked with 2 other photographers that came to the same conclusion: M is cheaper, has way better specs and is almost as good for B&W, color in option, so forget about the MM.
I'm trying, don't know if I'll succeed..
How's that M240 at ISO 5,000 or 6,400? Oh, wait ... sorry.