The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Steve Huff sells his M after severe color problems, commits to MM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am actually very grateful that a form like GetDPI exists, where different topics can be discussed still in a very open minded way.

All discussions and opinions in this forum by experienced photographers as well as a number of reports WRT to the M made me finally cancel my order. And I was really looking for the M!

But color issues might be fixable in FW, while there are a number of VERY basic issues WRT LV, operability of video and EVF etc, which will be only fixed by the next release of the M - if at all. And for all of that the typical (and constantly increased) Leica pice is at least not something I am going to accept. Especially WRT the delivered quality and in times where you can get much better RF feeling and also results from different brands already for 1/5 of the money ;)

Paratom

The trouble with the digital Ms is that they do often seem to require some remedial work on the part of the user (IR filters anyone? Cornerfix for wides on M9? Colour on M240?) and that this will be seen as part of the character of the brand by some and as a royal and unwarranted PITA by others.
I have used Leica M beside Nikon for many years now (besides some other cams).
The M8...some call it flawed - others put an IR-filter on each lens and were all set.
I allways felt that M8 and M9 (and also S2/S) files look to my taste without much post processing. I have struggled much more with Nikon color over the years.
I will wait with getting a new M until I feel sure that it delivers files which do not need more PP than what I am used from the M9 and S.

alajuela

For some reason, I read this as "Have a good Stanley Cup" which should say exactly what's on my mind...even though my team got eliminated from the post season. Go Stars...:(
Hi Here is some thing more relevant that what Steve Huff had for breakfest;)

GO WINGS!!!!!!!

I remember the M8 when it came out and the M9 when it came out. Of the digital M releases, the new M ,in spite of the few UI nits that irritate me is is probably the most problem free in the digital era.

rayyan

Am I glad I did not buy into the hype?...Do you remember the frenzy? The Photokina..prior to Photokina. The build-up. The anticipation.

Am I glad I did not pre-order or buy the new M? I don't know. Honestly, I could not afford it at launch and I cannot afford it now.

The problems that are being discussed..well I cannot but quote a moderator on LUF, who said it much better than I ever could...

"The precedent of the M8 and M9 clearly demonstrate that Leica send out a new camera a bit like the penguins that push the first one off the iceberg to test if there are any Leopard seals around. Almost invariably that penguin gets taken and the rest wait until the leopard seal is satisfied and then they brave the waters, hoping all will be well. Eventually it is.

So, the first penguins have their new M's and are testing the colours and who knows what else. The beta testers have gone and the first wave of protagonists are swimming bravely. Eventually it will all come together and we will be happy little campers after a few firmware upgrades, probably based on complaints and observations made on the forum, and elsewhere.

Anyone surprised by all this? I'm not. Very predictable.
Hold your breath, the good stuff is coming. "

I, though, am not holding my breadth...I am moving on with the other things in life. Am I glad I was not in the water with the leopard seals? You bet.

thrice

We had a customer in Aus cancel his M order in favour of the MM because of this Steve Huff article.

Please, everyone, heed Steve's words and switch your orders to the Monochrom. We make more money off them and have almost 200 backorders for the M to fill :p
I too have not had any problems with colour and have shot the M in very tricky lighting.
There is a serious new firmware for the M slated for May/June. It might interest some others here (kind of off topic) but there is a killer new firmware coming for the S in June, I had a play with it last week - offers at least one never-before-seen feature that would be very useful for landscape shooters.

zombii

I'd like to add that if you have an M240 and you're unhappy with the color, please PM me and I'll take it off your hands. :D

lambert

The impression Steve Huff left me with when I read is article was that for financial reasons he couldn't justify owning both, no other reason. He opted for the MM because he loves its simplicity,he loves shooting it and it suits his style more at the moment.
The fact the he also owns an RX1 played a part in his decision to part with M. Later in the comments section he points out that "the RX1 could meet or exceed the M with a 35 cron".

D&A

Hi Here is some thing more relevant that what Steve Huff had for breakfest;)

GO WINGS!!!!!!!
I'm amazed how many Getdpi forum members get it worng. I can only chalk it up to inexperience or possibly a typo. We know all to well those previous Stanley Cup posts should have said "Go Caps!" :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

rayyan

Whether someone else sells/buys/breaks/donates/exchanges his/her camera/s
is really of no concern to me in the least.That person's issue, problem, hangup
or misery.

For me, it is always, if my cam is good enough for me..for the job I purchased
it in the first instance.

I wanted to take the ME to Laos..

It served me well there and when I am feeling a bit zestful.the camera and me shall be off again to places unseen.

I wonder why so much time and effort is expended by some on the buy/sell decisions of others. Insecurity? Seeking confirmation of a good purchase or the avoidance of one?

Make pictures that resonate with yourself..maybe they shall resonate with others too..even if it be with a non-descript box.

Status
Not open for further replies.