The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

chadlanc

Will the Leica R APO 2x extender work on the Leica R 70-180? How many stops does it slow it down?

Thanks
Chad

SKueh

so im guessing the dash means the 1.4 extender won't work?
That is correct. The front element of the 1.4 APO extender protrudes too far out that it will interfer with the rear element of the noted lenses.
Caution on the 180/2.8 APO. The 1.4 APO extender only works with the version 2 of that lens only.

Last edited:

algrove

That is correct. The front element of the 1.4 APO extender protrudes too far out that it will interfer with the rear element of the noted lenses.
Caution on the 180/2.8 APO. The 1.4 APO extender only works with the version 2 of that lens only.
What part # is Version 2 please.

SKueh

180/2.8 APO version 2 Cat # is 11923.
Lou,
I think I made a mistake. From what I can find, looks like Leica modified the lens to fit the 1.4X APO extender. Here is a post by Pham Minh Son on FM forum: "These lens do not accept the Leica 1.4 extender but will accept the 2X extender. Leica can modify this lens to accept it. However, I do not recommend since Leica has modified the new lens to make work with the 1.4 but they also compromised the formula of the lens." Following is the link: FS: Leica Apo-Elmarit-R 180mm F2.8 - FM Forums

Hope that helps.

doug

Lou,
I think I made a mistake. From what I can find, looks like Leica modified the lens to fit the 1.4X APO extender. Here is a post by Pham Minh Son on FM forum: "These lens do not accept the Leica 1.4 extender but will accept the 2X extender. Leica can modify this lens to accept it. However, I do not recommend since Leica has modified the new lens to make work with the 1.4 but they also compromised the formula of the lens." Following is the link: FS: Leica Apo-Elmarit-R 180mm F2.8 - FM Forums

Hope that helps.
My 180mm APO-Elmarit-R is an older model modified to accept the 1.4x extender. If there's any optical compromise it's a pretty good one.