The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M lenses black paint prices

gooomz

how much more do black paint m lenses go for?

ex. i have a mint 90mm summicron apo in black paint.

how much more is it worth over a regular black 90 crom apo?

thanks for the help.

V

Vivek

Depends on the condition. Has it ever been taken out of the box? Has a filter ever been mounted? Has it ever been mounted on a camera? Is it truly unused?

Keep it safe in a humidor and in 2 years, it will be at least $500 more than the new unpainted one. :)

250swb

I would have thought a lot more than $500 difference, but 'mint' has to really mean mint, never used at all. Any slight mark and it isn't mint.

Steve

gooomz

i have used it so its not new and I dont have the box or anything.

is the black paint any better then regular black or is it just that bp is rare?

V

Vivek

With no box/documentation and having been used and all, hmmmm..:loco:

There is one sure way to find out. Put it on ebay with a starting price of $1. By the end of the auction you will know. :)

250swb

True, Ebay will find the right price, and it will sell for a good price due to its rarity, but its not something a collector would pay a massive premium for without the box. Do be careful about calling something 'mint', buyers can rightly be disappointed if it has marks. You do get a lot of Ebayers describing something as 'mint' and it is a relative term with a subtext, like 'near mint-considering it has been rolling about in a camera bag for forty years'.

Search Ebay completed auctions and see if there is anything comparable.

Steve

V

Vivek

There is one lens on eBay right now (unless it is yours). Watch that.