The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

lens testing info?

S

Steve

Hi guys, I posted this in the canon forum but thought I would post it here also seems like a little more traffic here. What is the proper method for checking accuracy of lenses. I've heard to use a ruler at an angle. What distance is appropriate? Any info would be helpful. I am checking for front or back focus issues. Thanks Steve

S

Steve

I should probably posted this in only one forum. Thanks for the help I will check it out. Steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Steve:

I use to use fancy targets and rulers with tape on them, but now I simply shoot at lines in the sidewalk, focusing where two intersect at the distance I normally use the lens at, usually around 40x the lens focal length. With this method, it's really easy to see where your exact focus point was relative to where it should be... The 40x focal thing moves that point toward the usually more critical closer focusing distances where DoF will not always rescue slight mis-focuses.

Cheers,

S

Steve

thanks Jack, I was wondering shooting some of the ruler tests at such a close distance how you could measure how far out you are at say 10 feet or so.
40x sounds like good advice. I'll give it a go.