The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica or Linhof shutter cable release

gooomz

looking for a high quality shutter cable release to last a lifetime.

just go with the Leica shutter release cable or is the Linhof a better build?

thanks.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you don't need the lock then I'd recommend the Ebony cable release. Much better than either Leica or Linhof IMHO. I use this exclusively.

V

Vivek

looking for a high quality shutter cable release to last a lifetime.
If that is the plan, buy the cheapest that you can find. I see cable releases from PRC (a country and not a company!) listed on eBay for <$3/shipped.

Leica have screwed up the cable release threads in their newer cams (the "new M" and the MM)apparently for secret reasons that even they do not even know about. :D There is no guarantee that they will not do that again.

Tom M

"Leica have screwed up the cable release threads in their newer cams"

what do you mean?

thanks
The pitch of the threads is non-standard on the Monochrom and I understand the M. As a result none of my cable releases fit. Still waiting to hear from Leica about a cable release that fits.

250swb

Cable releases are things that work with one camera, but then not with another, and they are things that get lost. So the best bet is to go for a generic release that is hopefully cheap and replaceable, not one 'for life'.

Steve