The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

V

Vivek

"Undulating emotional outcry" :ROTFL:

A pity that it relates to photography where all that gets tied up.

V

Vivek

BTW. who cares if Leica makes limited edition cameras? Opps, I guess you are. What if they bring out a (while) white MM? Will you sell your MM because of it? :ROTFL:
No. But I will not try to paint it white either. ;)

As I have mentioned several times, I still can not understand what drove Leica to bring out the MM in the first place.

Somethings in life will remain mystery forever. Not going to split my hairs over it. :angel:

Paratom

I serious doubt it'll hurt the M flagship any more than a $35,000 C Class Mercedes hurts a $150,000 MB, or a $600 Nikon 1 J3 has any effect on a $6,000 D4, ect.

Consumers are well aware that a Brand's equity may be used to promote lesser versions of the product line ... and it hasn't stopped anyone yet.

... But don't let history and logic get in the way of the undulating emotional outcries that seem to accompany anything Leica does. :rolleyes:

- Marc
At least Mercedes doesn't call the A-class "micro-S-class".

But anyway, I like some Leica products a lot and I am kind of glad that Leica are so successful.
12 years ago my dream was a digital Leica M. In this time you could buy a Noctilux in very good condition for 1000 Euro and the future for the M-line looked worse (no futre in digital world) than that for the R-line.
Today we already have the third generation digital M.
Also I think nobody expected the S-line to be that successful, but it seems to be successful.

iiiNelson

I don't understand why people are getting bent out of shape for the micro, nano, mini, whatever "M" references. They has always used the M to market the other brands. A few years back the D-Lux 4 was referred to as "the of the M8..." on the Leica website. Whether or not the marketing works I can't say for certain but I did buy a D-Lux 4 (mainly because it came with better photo software and warranty than the Panasonic version.) I've also bought two M9's (regular and -P.) Again I wouldn't mind the concept of having a "Mini-M" but that leaked camera (if it's the real thing) doesn't interest me at all.

D&A

Using the "M" brand might help to sell such cameras, but in a long term it also could hurt the "M" brand.
I think they should have just continued using "M" just for their rangefinder line and also I believe they should have continued their numbering system for the M.
I have the feeling to many marketing people in the game now at Leica (but not enough production people).
+1!

I think the use of "M" should be for those cameras that are part of the interchageable M lens system, not different than "X" cameras are part of the X, X2 system etc. They have the Leica red ot to tie them all together no different than Mercedes uses different letters to designate their different classes of cars They have their tri-star emblem to tie all their cars together.

These other leica cameras have no more in common with the traditional Leica M mount line that say the current Leica S bodies and lenses.

I may be mistaken, but I also can't believe that attaching the letter "M" to the name of these other cameras will help additional sales above and beyond what they might otherwise get. The branding of Leica and the red dot does that. Just my thoughts.

Dave (D&A)

edwardkaraa

I really can't understand this fixation with the Mini-M name. There is no such a thing. The camera is called X-Vario and is a member of the X series.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Could it be there are two announcements on the way ?

And the so-called 'leak' doesn't mention the Mini designation with one word.

Are we jumping into conclusions about what we see in that illustration ?

Shashin

The M tags are just for the advertising. They are not official model designations. They won't appear on a single product advertisement.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Re: New Mini M ?

Most don't need the illustration to jump to conclusions.:sleep006:

V

Vivek

Re: New Mini M ?

Actually, no.

It is the "Nano M" and the "Micro M" which are displayed proudly at the official Leica site which scream SM (use your imagination here). ;)

AnthonyFlores

Hmm. So on one hand you have this ridiculous "leaked" camera few people want... and surely even Leica would not be crazy enough to hype.

And other the other hand, I've paid attention on this forum and others as those who seem closer to Leica have hinted that there is something else and truly "M" related...

Then, even Leica says "come see the truth" on their FB page, implying that what's been leaked is not everything, or not what's really being released.

At the very least, I'm reserving my anger and disappointment for the 11th, and not sooner!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hmm. So on one hand you have this ridiculous "leaked" camera few people want...
I think that should read "Hmm. So on one hand you have this ridiculous "leaked" camera few people on this forum want...".

Most potential customers for this camera don't know the difference between an f-stop and a brake pad anyway. It's a nice looking camera, probably handles nicely as well, there will be photos coming out at the other end and the brand is well known for... something, with a certain flair of bygone times. They should of course make a "Great Gatsby" edition for twice the price also. That one could be white or pink or whatever :)

Do I see Leonardo DiCaprio carrying one? Absolutely!

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Hmm. So on one hand you have this ridiculous "leaked" camera few people want... and surely even Leica would not be crazy enough to hype.

And other the other hand, I've paid attention on this forum and others as those who seem closer to Leica have hinted that there is something else and truly "M" related...

Then, even Leica says "come see the truth" on their FB page, implying that what's been leaked is not everything, or not what's really being released.

At the very least, I'm reserving my anger and disappointment for the 11th, and not sooner!
Anger?
:confused:
Has Dr. Schopf bopped you one on the nose?:shocked: It is just a new camera.. If you don't like it don't buy it. I don't buy 99.99% of the new cameras coming to the market.:rolleyes:

250swb

An X2 clone with a slow zoom lens,...... a 'parts bin special'?

C'mon guys, look on the bright side, the Olympus E-P5 will be in the shops soon and that won't need hype to sell it.

Steve

V

Vivek

Do I see Leonardo DiCaprio carrying one? Absolutely!
In that case I also see that he would get paid for doing so. :p

If few or no one in this forum would want this camera then those defending it by tooth and nail should calm down a bit (or get DiCaprio shooting his grand children posting here. :) )

Mini Mum. :D

edwardkaraa

In that case I also see that he would get paid for doing so. :p

If few or no one in this forum would want this camera then those defending it by tooth and nail should calm down a bit (or get DiCaprio shooting his grand children posting here. :) )

Mini Mum. :D
Sorry but since the first page of this thread, I have yet to read one meaningful post from you. All what I read is sarcasm and taking jabs at other members. Sorry again for being blunt but I think you should calm down a bit.