The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
New Mini M ?

How come it says 70 on the zoom ring if it's supposed to be a 28-70mm equivalent ...

peterv

I've asked that question over at the German section of LUF and the answer seems to be that the ol' Digilux 2 also had 35 mm eq markings on the lens. Still, I find all this quite confusing.

jonoslack

Sure - this camera (if it exists) is not going to excite the denizens of internet fora and facebook groups - but then it clearly isn't supposed to.
On the other hand, it's a unique product (fixed lens APS-c Zoom). Leica don't need a mass market, the question is not whether we like it, but whether others will buy it?
As a sideline I showed the leaked document to my wife, who is a good photographer, but is about as likely to read an internet forum on photography as one on fly fishing. Her immediate response was that it looks really promising - she likes the X2, and she would like this more.

Tim

Thrice knows!! And judging by his answers in this thread we can deduce that it is not :
A digital CL
A micro 4/3 rds offering
A rangefinder M mount
An M mount period
Moving sensor
A fixed lens FF
APS interchangeable auto focus

A
So what's left that will fit between full frame rangefinder and fixed lens aps sensor ? ...If its not an M mount think it would be unlikely for Leica to bring out a whole new system , so I am going for ...
A fixed lens with a different sensor inside ( not FF , not APS )

:)
Looking through this list... well, I have nothing to lose. I'm not a Leica user anymore. Don't even have Leica glass now.

I'll go out on a limb and say a small APS-C sensor sized camera (similar in size to Panasonic GX1) with a NEW mount, NEW series of MANUAL focus lenses, more like the summarit designs. The existing M lenses which are already quite small have to cover 35mm full frame, imagine how much smaller they can be only covering APS-C sensors and if only MF. All they have to do is release three lenses like 28/45/90 (35 equivalents) aka the Contax G1/2 series or Konica Hexar RF and you have a system. Many people bought a three lens kit and it was only later that additional lenses were added by Contax. EVF is likely or it will poach sales from the M system.

If it sells well, offer more glass later. Manual focus lenses are what Leica know how to make, I am sure they can make them cheaper with lesser materials.

V

Vivek

Sure - this camera (if it exists) is not going to excite the denizens of internet fora and facebook groups - but then it clearly isn't supposed to.
On the other hand, it's a unique product (fixed lens APS-c Zoom). Leica don't need a mass market, the question is not whether we like it, but whether others will buy it?
This is exactly what thrice (Daniel) said earlier. Different words than the Lunar fellows used but with pretty much the same message.

Disappointing.

The only unique product that captured my attention and my money is the MM. I don't know if it is dumb desperation or sheer genius that drove Leica to bring it out in the mass market but they did hit the ball out the park with that. What makes the experience even sweeter for me is that I do not have to mount a single Leica made lens on it (or the $60 plastic flash shoe cover!)!

Can't say the same with the dumbed down XE-1, oops, I meant the "Mini M"

Having said that, I welcome anyone who would buy such stuff for full retail price. Perhaps in another 10 years time, Leica might bring out something unique and useful as well.

Long live Leica!

jubbaa

As a sideline I showed the leaked document to my wife, who is a good photographer, but is about as likely to read an internet forum on photography as one on fly fishing. Her immediate response was that it looks really promising - she likes the X2, and she would like this more.
I agree , if this is indeed the new leica it is unique in its offering . However just because its unique doesn't make it any good. The question is what is it offering that others aren't?

Camera's like the x2 or x100 were unique in offering APS sensors in small packages , or DSLR quality without the bulk if you like . So why would you, your wife or anyone buy this over the Fuji XE-1 with the Kit zoom when the Fuji offers the same , in the same size package ( by the looks of it ) , with the addition of a built in EVF ( I read somewhere that the leica won't have one ) , a faster zoom lens, and more crucially the option to change the lens...and all for $2000 less...

At the moment its all hear say , speculation and rumour and even if this picture is the real deal the proof will be in the pudding as they say . Only once its been used in the real world and we have had a chance to see real world examples of the image quality will we be able to judge if it is worth spending $3k on this despite its apparent shortcomings.

jonoslack

I agree , if this is indeed the new leica it is unique in its offering . However just because its unique doesn't make it any good. The question is what is it offering that others aren't?

Camera's like the x2 or x100 were unique in offering APS sensors in small packages , or DSLR quality without the bulk if you like . So why would you, your wife or anyone buy this over the Fuji XE-1 with the Kit zoom when the Fuji offers the same , in the same size package ( by the looks of it ) , with the addition of a built in EVF ( I read somewhere that the leica won't have one ) , a faster zoom lens, and more crucially the option to change the lens...and all for $2000 less...
Well. Me, I'd have an OMD with the penny 12-35 (already have one)

My wife however understands aperture and shutter speeds and focal length, she doesn't want interchangeable lenses or scene modes or programmable buttons or endless configuration menus. . . . What's more, she won't touch a camera which has these things. If she can't figure out a camera in ten minutes she won't use it (I know this to my cost).

Both my wife and my oldest sons partner use and like Leica X cameras (having been irritated by a stream of other cameras including a Fuji x100). Both are scarily intelligent, and I think I can honestly say that neither has ever read a camera review.

I
At the moment its all hear say , speculation and rumour and even if this picture is the real deal the proof will be in the pudding as they say . Only once its been used in the real world and we have had a chance to see real world examples of the image quality will we be able to judge if it is worth spending $3k on this despite its apparent shortcomings.
I think that my point was that this camera (if, indeed it exists) isn't going to sell to people who read camera reviews or Internet forums, and there are quite enough of those people to make it a success.

All the best

jonoslack

This is exactly what thrice (Daniel) said earlier. Different words than the Lunar fellows used but with pretty much the same message.

Disappointing.!
Only disappointing for we camera geeks who were hoping for something different

The only unique product that captured my attention and my money is the MM. I don't know if it is dumb desperation or sheer genius that drove Leica to bring it out in the mass market but they did hit the ball out the park with that. What makes the experience even sweeter for me is that I do not have to mount a single Leica made lens on it (or the $60 plastic flash shoe
I think you have to give them the benefit of doubt over the MM. There's always an element of luck in sheer genius anyway, but it certainly wasn't desperation!

V

Vivek

I think you have to give them the benefit of doubt over the MM.
I do and I did. :)

BTW, Despite having several unanswered questions about the technicalities of the MM ( I am sure no answer will be forthcoming so no point in saying anything about them), the doubt of dumb desperation about Leica going ahead with a brilliant idea and actually bringing out the product is still there. I am sure there are many brilliant people employed at Leica, being a very technically oriented business and all.

Amin

It's pretty much a modern day Digilux 2 minus the integrated EVF and aperture control on the lens.

In terms of angle of view and DOF, the D2 was equivalent to 27-88mm f/7.8-9.4, whereas the Mini M (if leaked specs are real) is equivalent to 28-70mm f/5.2-9.6

If it gets all the other stuff right (lens not extending with zoom, great lens performance, great sensor, great controls), it could be a very useful and enjoyable camera for people who meet the following criteria:

- Like dials for exposure compensation and shutter speed
- Like great build quality
- Like straightforward controls and menus
- Don't care much about shallow DOF or great handheld lowlight image quality
- Want a camera that is smaller than Fuji X-E1 and 18-55 zoom with a lens that doesn't extend while zooming
- Have "extra" money to spend

I only meet 4 of those criteria, so it's definitely not a camera for me (if leaked specs are real)

monza

It's pretty much a modern day Digilux 2 minus the integrated EVF and aperture control on the lens.

In terms of angle of view and DOF, the D2 was equivalent to 27-88mm f/7.8-9.4, whereas the Mini M (if leaked specs are real) is equivalent to 28-70mm f/5.2-9.6

If it gets all the other stuff right (lens not extending with zoom, great lens performance, great sensor, great controls), it could be a very useful and enjoyable camera for people who meet the following criteria:

- Like dials for exposure compensation and shutter speed
- Like great build quality
- Like straightforward controls and menus
- Don't care much about shallow DOF or great handheld lowlight image quality
- Want a camera that is smaller than Fuji X-E1 and 18-55 zoom with a lens that doesn't extend while zooming
- Have "extra" money to spend

I only meet 4 of those criteria, so it's definitely not a camera for me (if leaked specs are real)
Unfortunately, the way I see it, people that want dials and straightforward controls probably are the same people that want shallow DOF. But the kicker is the 'extra money.'

So, who is this for? If indeed, CSI: Mini M has leaked the real thing...

jonoslack

Unfortunately, the way I see it, people that want dials and straightforward controls probably are the same people that want shallow DOF. But the kicker is the 'extra money.'

Well, supposing its real; how about someone who used to do some photography, but let it slide when digital came along. Can't be bothered with interchangeable lenses, but would like a quality all in one camera, and for whom that sort of money isn't too much of an object? There aren't going to be millions of people like that, on the other hand there isn't that much competition.
How about a new grandparent who fancied their photographs when their kids were young?

One thing you can be sure of is that they won't be reading this forum!

I like Amin's appraisal.

V

Vivek

This getting to be totally unbelievable! No matter how much money Leica may pay me, I would never get myself to defend such crap ( Not that I am suggesting that you are on Leica's payroll, Jono.).

Such film folks have moved onto better things. Photography, film/digital, whatever, existed/exists besides Luxury goods with limited use. :)

Similar impossible aruguments, with different scenario were put forth for the Lunar!

V

Vivek

Make belief granparents, of course! :ROTFL: