The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

edwardkaraa

If it's an non-RF mirrorless with the M 240 sensor , I will get one without hesitation. It has no interest to me with a crop sensor.

arild

If it´s EVF, I´m not interested at all. As a window finder (be it AF or RF), like an X100, then pretty please. An APS-H/M8 crop is fine by me, 35mm equivalent FOV lens.

Shashin

Well, if they are after the competition, perhaps it is a rebadged Hasselblad Lunar re-rebadge of the Nex 7...

V

Vivek

No, they don't do that. They issue Paul Smith editions and Herpes editions.

Sharokin

Either a FF camera with a fixed 35mm Summicron, a la Sony RX-1, or most likely a cropped (1.3X) M mount, non-rangefinder camera with liveview and EVF. Price probably in the $3500-$4000 price range.

thrice

:facesmack: This campaign.

Obviously the X2 and D-lux6 aren't M at all...

No one has guessed right so far :p

Photojazz

it will plug directly into your Ipad Mini. For a Maxi experience. ;) I'm kidding. Maybe it will be made to plug directly into your Mini Cooper. I dunno...

I think it has to hit the 3K price point or less, 2500 really, or it's dead to us. Why? Because why not just use your M, if it's 4K, that buys a new piece of glass.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Folks I'm not betting on full frame at all. One they are calling it a Mini anything smaller than a M it has to be a smaller sensor. The other is Leica is not going to step on there own toes competing directly with there own product. Frankly Leica dont like any competition at all. They like there products unique. Lets not forget they dumped the R line as it was directly going up against the heavy hitters. Also they already had success with a crop sensor in the M8 so they have some history. They are certainly going to take that 240 sensor and get mileage off there technology and volume buying just cut it down. They are also going to take whatever tech they put into the 240 to a certain degree to make use of there R&D.

I'm certainly betting on a EVF and I'm really thinking a step above over the Fuji but same size.

Lenses are going to be the wild card. They have the M which is already very established and don't have to do really anything to go to market. But if they go AF than they need to design and build it which takes resources and money obviously. This last part is really my question mark. The rest seems obvious to me. This is my guess at least.

jubbaa

I don't think it will be a RX1 competitor.

Working under the assumption that a fair amount of Leica M shooters shoot with only a couple of lenses, the two most popular focal lengths 35mm and 50mm . If they produced a FF fixed lens camera like the RX 1 it would canabalise its M240 ME , and 35mm and 50mm market ( 50mm as the RX1 has a 'crop' option to shoot at 50mm ) . Especially if they paired it with a f2 or f1.4 lens .

If they are working on a FF RX1 / X100s competitor then I think they would fit a summarit or slower lens so they can continue to sell ME M240 and Summicrons and Luxes for those that only shoot 35mm and want speed.

More likely is an APS size sensor with an M mount ...they want to keep selling their lenses remember.

James

emaxxx

:facesmack: This campaign.

Obviously the X2 and D-lux6 aren't M at all...

No one has guessed right so far :p
Yeah it seems like a joke to me
They should stop this Apple copy thing...before it was apple stores-leica stores next was leaving the number ipad3-m9 to new ipad-new M, now it's ipod nano mini-nano M mini M
Probably they will make a keynote to announce this new product.

fotografz

Hmm, this possibility couldn't have come at a better time for me.

I just denied my M240 that came in, partially because I didn't think it was quite ready for prime time, but more so because the MM has dominated most of my rangefinder work. Best M I ever had.

However, I still wouldn't mind a small color sensor M that takes my M lenses for typical vacation/family stuff and even some less demanding paid work on occasion. Was giving thought to a NEX-7 as a stop gap, but now may wait to see how this shakes out.

Hard to tell if the M names are referring to camera size or sensor size:

If the Nano M is a 1/1.7" CMOS, the Micro M is a APS-C CMOS, and M240 is a FF CMOS ... what fits in between APS-C and FF? I guess a APS-H 1/3X crop sensor?

If it takes M lenses, even a crop frame would work for my needs.

- Marc