The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

Shashin

Every sensor smaller than mine is significantly worse. Every sensor bigger than mine is marginally better--I just was not so foolish to shell out for such a "small" improvement.

DaveS

Yikes, given this is the camera -then the Lens F3.5 to F6.4 really irks. Why not 3.5 to 4.5 or even 5.6 (I know size matters here) but lots of other companies seem to be able to make small zooms a bit faster. Then you are using up the presumably great ISO just using the lens zoomed out.

my 2 cents.
Dave

iiiNelson

Well that was somewhat anticlimactic... Either way I'm sure it's a decent camera. If it had a bit more range on the long end, more speed in the lens, and a built in EVF then I would consider it. I don't understand the fascination with having to add accessory finders to every small bodied large sensor camera (with a few notable exceptions) these days. Well maybe it's time to look at the Fuji and OM-D again for a travel camera.

Chyn

I don't understand how this camera fits under the new naming convention, as it has few commonalities with the Leica M system. This camera isn't a Mini M, seems more like an incrementally upgraded Micro M (or 'Maxi X').

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But if µ43 is a 'mini' sensor - then so is APS-C.
Compare it then to an E-M5 with the 12-35mm f/2.8, some two and a half stop faster at the long end. Any advantage of the larger sensor has turned into dust. I don't plan to buy a Leica (not that I would mind), but if I did, there are better alternatives than this. A second hand M8 maybe? Even a used 8.2 doesn't cost much more than this.

jstaben

Compare it then to an E-M5 with the 12-35mm f/2.8, some two and a half stop faster at the long end. Any advantage of the larger sensor has turned into dust. I don't plan to buy a Leica (not that I would mind), but if I did, there are better alternatives than this. A second hand M8 maybe? Even a used 8.2 doesn't cost much more than this.
Yes with the 1.5x crop this zoom will have the DOF of an iphone.

Very poorly played Leica...

AnthonyFlores

A lot of people on the Leica forum are saying that this is clearly photoshopped and not even a good job. Let's pray that's the case....

This is the kind of camera that's best saved for an afterthought at photokina, not something to hype up in the middle of the year.

Still holding out hope it's a smaller FF with M mount that has AF contacts for a future line of AF M lenses. If it could be made at same profit margin but produced more rapidly due not having the complicated rangefinder... it would be a big boost for Leica and not really cannibalize their main M much. If anything, would lead to greater growth and lens sales.

But I guess that would just make too much sense.

Paratom

1) stepping out now of m43 with the new EP5 - you will mist the best of m43 so far!

2) while the IQ difference between m43 and APSC is pretty small today, we should not forget that APSC is going to make the next big step (or has already - see Nikon D7100 with 24MP). It will sure take much longer for m43 to get there - and even then APSC will have made the next step already.

But end of the day I agree, that IQ differences are getting smaller and less noticeable in everyday photography.

I do though not feel so strong about that new Leica product, whatever sensor size it is, as it will again take ages for them to get it right.
Yes Peter,
and I dont really plan to step out m4/3 now. The m4/3 leaves me somewhat "cold" but whenever I grab for a light, flexible and weather proof camera with good IQ it is m4/3 and I get the images I want with it.