The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

Tim

The RX1 is a little on the small side, to me, although, on the other hand, I think the M9 is a little too thick. M6 sized seems about right,
There you go, what camera did Goldilocks use? that's what we need! ;)

I'll go out on a limb and say a small APS-C sensor sized camera (similar in size to Panasonic GX1) with a NEW mount, NEW series of MANUAL focus lenses, more like the summarit designs.
I'm also coming in from the limb to the trunk of the tree. I rekon I'm on the money here :thumbup:... that other pic is rubbish. BTW, what is the prize for guessing right ?? some :SPAM: ?

:watch:

AnthonyFlores

Btw, Leica's Facebook page hints the rumors of the leaked camera might not be true.

Could, and probably will still be a disappointment given what everyone is looking for but still, there's a ray of hope that we'll see a better camera on the 11th.

Shashin

The RX1 is a little on the small side...
The RX-1 is a small camera. That is the point. (Certainly my Pentax 645D is one of the most comfortable cameras I ever held, but it is bigger.) In the context of a very compact design, I think is really well designed as far as handling.

I think there need to be some balance to comments (and this is not directed at you Douglas in anyway as I find your comment excellent). How many times has an M or other rangefinder been dismissed because you cannot get a 600mm telephoto lens for it. Or a large format camera because of film handling. It would be nice were we can comment on a camera type based on the context of the design rather than all possible permeation of every kind of camera.

iiiNelson

Looks like Leica is trying to discredit the leaked "Mini M." They changed their picture on their Facebook page.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Pretty big assumption that existing M and S users are not the target market . That was clearly not the case with the X1/X2 . Most M and S users constantly look at the smaller cameras as an addition to their M/S systems .

The X1/X2 both look dated today ..but when the X1 was introduced it had a APS C sensor and a 24 asph leica lens in a small form . Clearly capable of very high IQ . I know a number of S users that have been very happy with the X1/X2 as a take anywhere alternative to their MF system . (Sure the M may be preferred but this is a choice for a more casual approach ).

Look at the RX 1 ..a hit with many M users as are the Fuji,Sony and Olympus alternatives . As Sony has proved there is a market among serious photographers for a well designed and high quality offering . Look at Luminous Landscape ....both authors off to australia ....primarily a MF workshop ...their second camera ....the Fuji XPro 1 (with the new Zeiss AF lenses).

While I am sure there will be buyers that just want the RED DOT like the rebranded Panasonic s ....I don t think Leica would be wise to throw the baby out with the bath water .

I think Leica s greatest constraint is an inability to produce a line of smaller AF lenses at a price that could work . I hope I am wrong ..but why else would I buy a mini M in that $3K -4K price range ?

Another mystery ....could Leica really boast about an EVIL system camera(back in 2010) and then introduce a X body with a zoom lens ? Or were they speaking of the EVF on the new M ? Hardly a design high point .

edwardkaraa

Even though I can imagine that there are some people who buy Leica as a luxury product I am sure that there are many people who buy it because they feel its the best solution for them. Thats at least the reason why I use Leica M and S, but also an OMD, (and probably not a Mini M).
That is exactly why I differentiated between the M (and S) clientele, and the lower models. M and S are professional tools, while the lower mini and micro and nano models are for casual users. As a serious photographer, I am sure the same reasons why you bought the M are keeping you from buying the Mini.

D&A

I think we can all agree that even for Leica, there exists a number of different markets and consequently different types of shooters that each of their models are targeted for.

I can't help but think (and have since the mini M was alluded to), that the name itself implies it's part of the "M" family. This means a interchangeable mount M body but something that fits into a different class than the current new M rangefinder or even the full frame M-E. What I see is a somewhat smaller rangefinderless body incorporating a APS sized CMOS sensor with a sizeable rear LCD screen and either a built in or external optional EVF... probably external. It being a M mount camera, it will take all M mount lenses of course in addition to possibly a newly designed zoom lens thats strictly for use on APS sized sensor.

Whether there will be other smaller APS only designed lenses will depend on how successful the body is. This may be a far reaching prediction based on Leica's past with bodies other than the classic M rangefinders, but I think they might want to reach a larger and younger generation of shooters who might be tempted with a lower priced alternative to use the legedary M lenses on. The body also will not complete with the used M8/M8.2 market as the body design and features set it apart.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Shashin

Dave, I would almost agree with you if Leica did not also call the X series cameras the micro M and the D Lux the nano M in the same promo image as the mini M.

douglasf13

The RX-1 is a small camera. That is the point. (Certainly my Pentax 645D is one of the most comfortable cameras I ever held, but it is bigger.) In the context of a very compact design, I think is really well designed as far as handling.
Agreed. I ordered a half case for my RX1, but I may not even use it.

It'll be interesting to see what this new Leica actually is. Maybe they'll pull a rabbit out of their hats.

D&A

Dave, I would almost agree with you if Leica did not also call the X series cameras the micro M and the D Lux the nano M in the same promo image as the mini M.
Agreed and that's the confusing part. By incorporating the letter or name "M" in the entire product line I think in some ways works against identifying their various product line.

Dave (D&A)

Paratom

Here is another theory:
Lets say the leaked camera is the real one (with non changeable lens).
Maybe it is just the start and Leica develops exchangeable lenses and brings a second generation with exchangeable lenses of the same camera body. Like Fuji did with the x100 followed by the X-Pro and XE models?
But that's probably too much speculation. I guess it will be "just" a digial Leica Minizoom without Viewfinder.

In regards to the x2 being outdated and the rx1... no doubt the RX1 is a great camera which offers excellent IQ in a solid built camera.
For some it is just the right size, for others (including myself) it is not small enough to be a pocket camera (x2 or Coolpix A or the new Ricoh are better in this regard) and for a bigger camera I would prefer the handling and flexibility (exchange lenses) of a Leica M or a Fuji XE.
What I am trying to say...I don't even feel the x2 to be outdated (even though right now I prefer the wider Coolpix A due to the 28mm lens)

fotografz

As one who hasn't dipped back down into this type of consumer camera in decades, it is a bewildering array of choices available.

So, I think Leica may be trying to consolidate their whole branding efforts under the banner of the M marquis. Why M? Because it is their greatest branding leverage.

Long time rangefinder photographers may bristle at the thought of any nano, micro, mini M designations as weak pretenders to the throne ... just as die-in-the-wool Mercedes drivers may wince at the thought of a C250 mini Benz in their garage ... but to other potential buyers, it is still a Mercedes Benz ... as evidenced by the big fat tri-star front grill branding device.

If the leak is true, and I think it is, it's no accident that the Mini looks like a small M6.

Frankly, I'd be more interested if the aperture were a bit faster ... but it isn't, so I'm not.

- Marc

Paratom

Using the "M" brand might help to sell such cameras, but in a long term it also could hurt the "M" brand.
I think they should have just continued using "M" just for their rangefinder line and also I believe they should have continued their numbering system for the M.
I have the feeling to many marketing people in the game now at Leica (but not enough production people).

V

Vivek

So, I think Leica may be trying to consolidate their whole branding efforts under the banner of the M marquis. Why M? Because it is their greatest branding leverage.

- Marc
They should put the S in that lineup and call it the macro M of the family. Obviously, they will not be bringing in the orphaned R system in to the news .

I think Leica feel slighted by Hasselblad and Lunar.

It is high time they brought out a limited number, white edition of the M.

Paratom

They should put the S in that lineup and call it the macro M of the family. Obviously, they will not be bringing in the orphaned R system in to the news .

I think maxi-M or super-M (SM ;) ) would be even better for the S.

V

Vivek

"Super M" sounds good. :)

I hope "SM" is not an abbreviation for something else (many choice words come to my mind. I am trying to figure out why a pathetic Leica badged plastic hot shoe cover for the MM/M9 costs US $60/piece!).

fotografz

Using the "M" brand might help to sell such cameras, but in a long term it also could hurt the "M" brand.
I think they should have just continued using "M" just for their rangefinder line and also I believe they should have continued their numbering system for the M.
I have the feeling to many marketing people in the game now at Leica (but not enough production people).
I serious doubt it'll hurt the M flagship any more than a $35,000 C Class Mercedes hurts a $150,000 MB, or a $600 Nikon 1 J3 has any effect on a $6,000 D4, ect.

Consumers are well aware that a Brand's equity may be used to promote lesser versions of the product line ... and it hasn't stopped anyone yet.

... But don't let history and logic get in the way of the undulating emotional outcries that seem to accompany anything Leica does. :rolleyes:

- Marc

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
"Super M" sounds good. :)

I hope "SM" is not an abbreviation for something else (many choice words come to my mind. I am trying to figure out why a pathetic Leica badged plastic hot shoe cover for the MM/M9 costs US $60/piece!).
I'd take an SM over an M any day :D

fotografz

The S line is a completely different target audience, and there is no historical brand equity to draw from other than expertise in making optics ... none of which were AF, or leaf shutter for that matter.

If Leica had continued beating its financial head against the R wall :banghead: they very well may not have been around to bring us the MM or the M240.

Yeah, Leica is jealous as hell about the Hasselblad Lunitic camera ... because every camera maker longs to be ridiculed and laughed at. :loco:

BTW. who cares if Leica makes limited edition cameras? Opps, I guess you are. What if they bring out a while MM? Will you sell your MM because of it? :ROTFL: