The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

Do you really think Leica is worth $3-5 Billion? Was that a typo? This was in 2011... Blackstone to Buy Minority Stake in Leica - WSJ.com

Blackstone bought 44% for $179 Million

If that's their idea of a camera that a lot of people will want to buy, the value of the company will just go down... Saves me some money though. I'll just be getting a used Leica 28 or 35 lens to use with my Fuji.

AnthonyFlores

Do you really think Leica is worth $3-5 Billion? Was that a typo? This was in 2011... Blackstone to Buy Minority Stake in Leica - WSJ.com

Blackstone bought 44% for $179 Million

If that's their idea of a camera that a lot of people will want to buy, the value of the company will just go down... Saves me some money though. I'll just be getting a used Leica 28 or 35 lens to use with my Fuji.
You're right, wow, I heard about that but didn't know the amount.

Weird that with a valuation of about $400 million at that time, Leica was worth not much more than some of the young startups here in Silicon Valley. Significantly less in the case of Instagram and Tumblr. Sad.

Still, it's a nice fantasy... albeit ridiculously unrealistic... to imagine what Apple could do with Leica, given its infinite cash pool, production and supply chain expertise, technology, sales channels and premium reputation. Just a cash offer of around 1.1 billion like Yahoo just paid for Tumblr might do it :)

I know production in Germany is obviously different and costlier than China [duh], but if there were no dropoff in quality or optical performance, how many people would really care whether Leica cameras or lenses were assembled in other parts of the world?

I believe some of the famous, venerated panavision film lenses, still the gold standard among filmmakers, were assembled using Leica glass in Canada...........

D&A

Who has time to do such things and why?
Is this question related to the photoshop attempt or time taken to glue the strap lugs in properly? :)

In all seriousness, I feel Leica had a golden opportunity to release a camera positioned between the current "X" series and the M mount cameras. At the very least, a small APS sized sensor interchangeable M mount viewfinderless body that one could either use existing M lenses, new smaller (APS only?) designed lenses or at the very least a APS only zoom. Heck even the camera as shown now with an interchangeable M mount would have generated more interest, I suppose.

I believe such an offering would target a number of different potential markets at the same time and also show innovation over and above the charging competition.

Dave (D&A)

Taylor Sherman

There is no way Leica is worth one billion. Their expertise is optics and you can buy their services, and even put their logo on your lens when you do.

Also, what exactly does Apple get for their money? A very small, if dedicated, user base. And a bunch of expensive optical manufacturing facilities which Apple has absolutely no use for.

Last edited:

pophoto

What will Apple name it, the iM? iPaula? iMini-M? :p

Actually all my wife (She's called Apple (real name) btw) wants to know is can it help her take good photos better than an iPhone with little effort :)

patk

steve huff now has what he feels are all the specs on his site. says the info came from four "official" sources and he decided to go ahead and publish, since he doesn't have an nda with leica. all worst fears confirmed.

Shashin

You guys are so hung up on specs--at least it looks like a Leica. I would buy one, but I spent my money on an RX-1.

patk

You guys are so hung up on specs--at least it looks like a Leica. I would buy one, but I spent my money on an RX-1.
specs can make a difference depending on what you're interested in photographing. slow lens and no image stabilization can also be problematic for anyone hoping to take a few indoor family and friends video clips. i don't know why people keep throwing the rx1 in as a comparison. aren't they generally aimed at two different niches? from what i've been reading, it's not the rx1 that will deter people from buying this new leica - it's the other attractive offerings with zoom lenses that are available on the market.

patk

Tell that to Hasselblad--have you seen the Lunar?

When I was typing my original comment, I had my tongue in my cheek.
the new lunar is on amazon and it's definitely amazin'. i would hope hasselblad had its tongue in cheek, but i think it's more likely it had its brains where they don't belong.

i did think you were being jocular re your specs comment, but then i find even steve huff (who i don't think was kidding) going on about the rx1 being preferable to the new leica. well, yeah, but they're just not directed at the same market segment from what i can see. that's probably why i'm annoyed. leica didn't target me with its new zoom cam. but my wallet remains happy - and firmly closed.

Shashin

Actually, if I had three grand and was in the market, the Fuji X series cameras would probably get my vote, if we are thinking of comparable systems.

250swb

There will be a lot of Leica users feeling cheated by this new camera now the details are out. For nearly $3000 many would have been willing to buy a new small interchangeable lens 'mini-M', and invest in the system that supports it, with lenses, flashes, etc. And what do Leica make a fanfare about, an overbuilt P&S. :(

Of course the sensible rumour mongers got the specification spot on, which makes it even more sad that Leica are becoming so predictable in designing rubbish camera's. Put another way, if Fuji or Sony trailed an exciting new camera with as much innuendo would any of us expect it to be a lesser product than others in the same market sector, or a leap forward? We all know the answer to that.

Steve