The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if Leica owns the brand, then anything they call an M is an M.
OTOH, those who think the "true" M is something else, then you are entitled to you opinions.
-bob

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Rewind 30 years:

Customer in camera shop with money to burn:
- What are all those numbers on the lens?

Man working in camera shop:
- Don't worry about them. Do you see the number "8" there? Just make sure that it's aligned with the red dot there and you'll be fine.

- But the other numbers?

- Those are for professional photographers. Makes your photos get blurry if you don't watch out. You don't want blurry photos, do you?

- No, no, I'll leave that to the pros.

--

At that time ISO 400 was the fastest film most normal p&s photographers used. Nowadays, ISO 3200 is probably cleaner than 400 was back then. So what is all this talk about slow lenses again? No viewfinder? Big deal! Have you seen on the back of this camera? There's a big window there, with enough space for grandma and all the kids. Much better than looking through that little hole on the old cameras, which was next to impossible with glasses anyway.

It's a bit expensive of course, but it's a Leica isn't it? I've heard that professional photographers use Leica, so it must be good then?

Last edited:

philber

Jorgen, I am not questioning the fact that there are some customers that will act out your scenario. I am questioning how many there are, and whether it is really wise for Leica to spend R&D resources, of which they have desperately few compared to their huge competitors, on a camera which is "for them only", instead of "for them as well as for more involved photographers".
I also cannot imagine that Leica, IMHO the world's best at designing lenses that are at the same time great glass, and compact and fast, could not make a f:2.8-f-4.0 no larger than the Fuji, also for APS-C. But we will never know, will we?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's not important if it's bigger or smaller, more or less advanced, better or worse than the Fuji. Those in the target group will probably be more than happy to get a camera where one does not need to worry about changing lenses. Actually, this is more of a competitor for the Lunar, at less than half price, with the red dot, made by Leica, inside and out. And again; no worry about lenses. The one that's available is glued to the camera.

If I had a solid economy, knew little about photography and wanted a show-off camera that could also be used to take good photos with, this would be the one.

Unfortunately, I do not have a solid economy, have too many cameras costing in sum far more than this one, but would probably take at least as good photos with the Leica as I do with all the ones that I have :ROTFL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I actually do not understand all this discussion about how fast , or in this case slow the lens is. This is absolutely not the point about the XV. Wanting a shallow DOF then just forget the XV.

The XV either appeals to one or not. For me it does, because it mimics the old school of camera building perfectly, while adding the right state of the art credentials as outstanding sensor and compact high quality zoom, reasonable fast AF (not a sports or wildlife camera) plus some other nice features. All that together coming from Leica, I do not even question the price point.

Not able or not willing to spend that money, just look elsewhere.

philber

It is not about the money, ptomsu, nor only about shallow DOF, though being able to achieve this would be a plus. In his review, Sean Reid points out to a message received form Michaël Reichmann, to the effect that, in broad daylight but with severely overcast weather, MR was already having to use ISO 1600. That is not great IMHO.
As I stated previously, with a faster zoom, I might have bought one, even though the red dot holds no spell over me. I am just disappointed that this camera is for the beholden and not for a wider audience.

fultonpics

using 1600 ISO is not necessarily an issue in today's digital world. i shoot at 3200 for print use and it's okay--depends on how good the sensor is at that speed. seems like most photos end up on the web anyway. the concern i have is the ability to isolate at the long end. want to see more samples. sounds like the camera is built nicely.

philber

ISO1600 doable? Yes. Desirable? I don't think so, not unless you have to. And what is the customer getting in exchange for this "concession"?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@philber,

You obviously did not read my post carefully. I said to some the "slow" lens might be a show stopper, to others it is not. And to me for example it is not. So if it is to you, then I would not waste anymore time in repeating your desire for a faster XV in whatever thread here. Sorry to be direct, but this is starting to get boring!

WRT Sean Reid and M. Reichmann - I could not care less about these guys, as their reviews reflect by no means anyhow practical photography. I do not need S.R. to know that a certain Leica lens (or other lens) is good and sharp, I can judge that usually from my own test shots. But if you like to read Reid & Reichmann, you can do of course - up to you again. Anyway also referring to such reviews just gets boring!

Best regards

Peter

edwardkaraa

While we are still arguing about this camera, it is already selling to clients worldwide. As Peter said, you may like it or not, we all have different needs, and while it is not for me personally, it definitely is the camera for many people as Leica seems to be quite happy with the sales so far.

Paratom

ISO1600 doable? Yes. Desirable? I don't think so, not unless you have to. And what is the customer getting in exchange for this "concession"?
Less distortion, better color, more sharpness over the frame, better weight balance, more solid build, simpler more intuitive/analog user interface and most important less weight in your wallet to carry ;)

By the way I wonder why lenses even offer f8 or f16 if it is not even possible to use f6.3 in daylight (or f5.0 at 50mm fov)?

Compare the DOF and sensor noise behaviour to a m4/3 and it is equivalent to a 14-35/2.5-4.5 lens, just sharper wide open than the 12-35/2.8 Pana lens.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I don't really get why it's referred to as Mini M, when the M is german for 'rangefinder' (Messsucher).
Can only give my personal feeling/answer: Take it in your hand and operate it, it "feels" lot of the M and with the EVF attached it actually works even better than the M IMHO - but this again is personal.

Plus another advantage - it is much closer in size to an M6, which is a much more preferable size than the new M.

My 5c ....

retow

I actually do not understand all this discussion about how fast , or in this case slow the lens is. This is absolutely not the point about the XV. Wanting a shallow DOF then just forget the XV.

The XV either appeals to one or not. For me it does, because it mimics the old school of camera building perfectly, while adding the right state of the art credentials as outstanding sensor and compact high quality zoom, reasonable fast AF (not a sports or wildlife camera) plus some other nice features. All that together coming from Leica, I do not even question the price point.

Not able or not willing to spend that money, just look elsewhere.
And I thought lens speed was not about shallow dof. The latter is simply a consequence of the former, I was made to believe;). But speedy lenses allow to shoot at decent shutter speeds without having to push iso to levels were IQ starts to be compromised.

V

Vivek

To pick up a quote from that review:

"The shutter speeds are capped at 1/2000th second, which could be due to the limitation of a leaf shutter ... "

Is this true? A Leaf Shutter? Really?

If so, what is the max flash sync speed without resorting to HSS on a SF58?

Thanks for any clarification,

- Marc
Someone who would find an use for should check that camera out and inform everyone (which rules out most Leica reviewers?)

This promo video could have been one source but I did not find any information related to that at all. Although there is a fleeting glimpse of a flash being used (on a mini M! :shocked:).

Yvonne Venegas: The Personal View of Things on Vimeo

dave.gt

Im going to open this up again but it comes with a warning. If your going to post a opinion than respect the person that will reply to that opinion. If your not willing to hear a opposing opinion than I suggest you don't post one to start. Part 2 its not about YOU get that through your head, it is about customers that maybe willing to buy this whoever the heck they are. All I read here is Im not going to buy it its beneath me or whatever , great but Leica is not selling to you but customers willing to buy it. I'm not interested in purchasing one but Its not about me and its about others that fill a need. Part 3 Quit being a candy *** and threatening to take your marbles and go home. Thats just flat out being a baby. No one cares and its really sickening to read.

Now I hate to even post this because this is not how i go about my life but you folks forced my hand to write this crap. If it does not interest me I just ignore threads and go somewhere else. But if I have to moderate more whining than I will be the asshole, trust me I'm really good at it when I need to be.

Fair enough. Please debate but I better see some real respect here to others or you will not post here anymore. No one is above the rules and fair warning right now I have a itchy ban button.
Thank you, Guy...your work as a moderator is greatly appreciated. BTDT myself and it is difficult.

I personally am happy to see someone stand up and call it out. I am still deciding whether to even participate in GetDPI and with all the negativity, I can't say I like this at all, yet.

fotografz

Someone who would find an use for should check that camera out and inform everyone (which rules out most Leica reviewers?)

This promo video could have been one source but I did not find any information related to that at all. Although there is a fleeting glimpse of a flash being used (on a mini M! :shocked:).

Yvonne Venegas: The Personal View of Things on Vimeo
My interest in this camera would jump a bit if it syncs at higher shutter speeds using radio triggered portable strobes outdoors, which I do a lot.

- Marc