The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

V

Vivek

My interest in this camera would jump a bit if it syncs at higher shutter speeds using radio triggered portable strobes outdoors, which I do a lot.

- Marc
This is one observation I made from some of the posts: "this camera is not for you" as an underlying theme.

Quite contradictory and unexpected to what this camera may be capable of.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thank you, Guy...your work as a moderator is greatly appreciated. BTDT myself and it is difficult.

I personally am happy to see someone stand up and call it out. I am still deciding whether to even participate in GetDPI and with all the negativity, I can't say I like this at all, yet.
Thank you but don't let one thread deter you. It's a great place or I would not be here either.

monza

It's not important if it's bigger or smaller, more or less advanced, better or worse than the Fuji. Those in the target group will probably be more than happy to get a camera where one does not need to worry about changing lenses. Actually, this is more of a competitor for the Lunar, at less than half price, with the red dot, made by Leica, inside and out. And again; no worry about lenses. The one that's available is glued to the camera.
In my younger days, I worked in shipping and receiving at a local camera store. I was about 19 or so. However, on occasion I would get trapped behind the retail sales counter.

More recently when I agreed to assist a friend of mine who owned a much larger store (he needed someone to revamp and manage his internet department) the same thing would happen: sometimes I'd get pulled behind the retail counter.

This was usually around holiday season, where the typical customer was making their 'once in five years or more' trip to a camera store. Let's just say these customers are not up on the latest industry trends, and generally are not particularly savvy about photography in general, but many of them have no shortage of spending money and are brand conscious. The odds that any of these shoppers visit camera forums online is virtually nil. ;)

If such a customer were to narrow a decision down to one interchangeable lens model or another vs. the XV, I can pretty much guarantee the perception of such a customer is that interchangeable lenses make a camera more 'professional' and that would be perceived as a positive. Whether they actually purchase multiple lenses and change them is another matter altogether! It would actually be somewhat of a bragging point: "Look at my new camera, I can even change the lens!"

I feel for those who work in a Leica dealer/boutique who have to serve these newbie customers. It's not an easy job...it would be far easier in a Leica store, where there are no other brands to showcase. :)

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@monza

well the concept of the original "Leica Store" is, that there are NO other brands to showcase. Only LEICA!

Paratom

I feel for those who work in a Leica dealer/boutique who have to serve these newbie customers. It's not an easy job...it would be far easier in a Leica store, where there are no other brands to showcase. :)
But then he could give the VX and another camera into the hands of the customer, let him play and let him take some images. He could ask him which feels better in the hand, which was easier to control, and them let him look at the images and ask him which images he would like better...I doubt this would be an disadvantage to sell a Leica.

V

Vivek

@monza

well the concept of the original "Leica Store" is, that there are NO other brands to showcase. Only LEICA!
"Original" is the word. Lost in practice. I have seen (online though, may not be the reality if I have to believe some of the repeated post here) some boutique stores offering and actively promoting 3rd party leather wear.

fotografz

This is one observation I made from some of the posts: "this camera is not for you" as an underlying theme.

Quite contradictory and unexpected to what this camera may be capable of.
Well, the little bugger IS a leaf shutter, and some folks have PMed me that they use an X camera with a Nikon speed-light at sync speeds to 1/2000.

So, it'd be interesting how high it'll sync with a Profoto AIR trigger? Given the size of the lens, maybe all the way to 1/2000 (???) Even at 1/1000 it'd be very cool.

Aperture speed is much less of an issue when working with studio strobes ... I'm usually at f/5.6 anyway ... so, with the right strobe kit, you could control the background light balance and even over-power the sun. Not many compacts or 35mm DSLRs with zoom lenses can do that ... if any.

- Marc

monza

But then he could give the VX and another camera into the hands of the customer, let him play and let him take some images. He could ask him which feels better in the hand, which was easier to control, and them let him look at the images and ask him which images he would like better...I doubt this would be an disadvantage to sell a Leica.
There was tongue-in-cheek in my post, perhaps too subtle. :)

Any shopper walking into a Leica store probably knows where they are entering, just like someone who walks into a Rolex dealer :)

V

Vivek

Well, the little bugger IS a leaf shutter, and some folks have PMed me that they use an X camera with a Nikon speed-light at sync speeds to 1/2000.

So, it'd be interesting how high it'll sync with a Profoto AIR trigger? Given the size of the lens, maybe all the way to 1/2000 (???) Even at 1/1000 it'd be very cool.

Aperture speed is much less of an issue when working with studio strobes ... I'm usually at f/5.6 anyway ... so, with the right strobe kit, you could control the background light balance and even over-power the sun. Not many compacts or 35mm DSLRs with zoom lenses can do that ... if any.

- Marc
A new thread on the X, M and Sync perhaps? Here it is lost between boutique and other stuff? :)

Paratom

There was tongue-in-cheek in my post, perhaps too subtle. :)

Any shopper walking into a Leica store probably knows where they are entering, just like someone who walks into a Rolex dealer :)
Wouldnt it be bad if we walked into a store and didnt know where we are entering? Anyways, personally I have never been to a "Leica only" store so far. Maybe I am missing something.

Paratom

- Marc
Marc, would you really want to use such a portable camera with studio lights?
However I find the leaf shutter usefull for fill flash with the little integrated flash (at short distances) or maybe with the sf24d.

V

Vivek

However I find the leaf shutter usefull for fill flash with the little integrated flash (at short distances) or maybe with the sf24d.
Why? Please explain. Feel free to illustrate it with images.

TIA

Paratom

Why? Please explain. Feel free to illustrate it with images.

TIA
Why? Because sometimes I like to capture moments in light which is less than imperfect. Bright light which leads to high contrast. A face in front a bright wall, people with sun coming from behind. So I need both a short exp time and fill flash.

V

Vivek

Marc, would you really want to use such a portable camera with studio lights?
Guess what? :)

These are the flash modes available in/with your mini M:

Auto, On, Off, Red-Eye, Front Curtain, Rear Curtain, Slow sync, Studio

Paratom

Guess what? :)

These are the flash modes available in/with your mini M:

Auto, On, Off, Red-Eye, Front Curtain, Rear Curtain, Slow sync, Studio
just because it is an option I dont have to want to use it. If I was shooting with studio lights (which I dont do anyways) and if I had a Leica S with leaf shutter lenses (like Marc has) I would rather use the S.

V

Vivek

Why? Because sometimes I like to capture moments in light which is less than imperfect. Bright light which leads to high contrast. A face in front a bright wall, people with sun coming from behind. So I need both a short exp time and fill flash.
Would love to see some shots. :)