The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Candlelight portraits

vieri

Took these pics of friends during our New Year's dinner - candlelight, the M8, the 1.4/75 Lux wide open, ISO 640.

Just thought I'd share them to show what the M8 & 75 Lux can do with, basically, no light... C&C welcome, as always

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Very, very nice results, Vieri. Wonderful lighting.
Especially # 1 is as beautiful as an old dutch painting.
Are they even handheld and in that case at what shutterspeed ?
I no longer see any EXIF informations left, probably vanished during the text editing.

fotografz

Very nice use of that lens. Can't wait to get my M8 gear back from Leica. The 75 is getting the 6 bit added. Ever since I added a bit of magnification to the M8 viewfinder, it's been a lot easier to focus in low light.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Wonderful photos by candlelight! Looks like it was a great night. A steady hand there. Well done.

And not to distract from the OP, but what are the viewfinder diopter thingies you guys are referring to? I'm a newb to the M8 and haven't heard of them.

Thanks!
Tim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wonderful photos by candlelight! Looks like it was a great night. A steady hand there. Well done.

And not to distract from the OP, but what are the viewfinder diopter thingies you guys are referring to? I'm a newb to the M8 and haven't heard of them.

Thanks!
Tim
Hard to go off topic in this forum if your talking about imaging or gear LOLOLOLOL!

Leica makes eyepiece diopters to "correct" the clarity of the viewfinder for individual vision. They screw into the back of the eyepiece and are rated in diopter strength from -3 to +3 in .5 increments.

In my case, I wear +2.00 cheaters for reading, and I found the +1.00 diopter improved my M8 VF view by about 3 fold ;)

Impressive photos Vieri. The first one is my favorite. It is especially interesting when one realizes the catchlight in the woman's eyes is a candle.

vieri

Thanks for sharing - that is one magic lens if used like this!
Thanks a lot Jaap, I love the lens and the results it produces!

Wow!!! Gorgeous photos!
Thank you very much Maggie! Much appreciated :D

Very nice use of that lens. Can't wait to get my M8 gear back from Leica. The 75 is getting the 6 bit added. Ever since I added a bit of magnification to the M8 viewfinder, it's been a lot easier to focus in low light.
I love the 1.4/75, one of my fav for portrait work - despite is size & some not-so-positive critics it gets on the net, I think it's a wonderful lens;

Thanks!
Tim
Thanks Tim, I am glad you enjoyed - we had a lot of fun, and despite the wine I could use 1/25 with ok results I guess... :D

Impressive photos Vieri. The first one is my favorite. It is especially interesting when one realizes the catchlight in the woman's eyes is a candle.
Thank you very much Mark! :D Indeed it is, there were 4 candles on the table and that was it...

vieri

VERY cool series --- thanks for posting!
Thanks a lot Jack! Glad you enjoyed, thanks for viewing and commenting :D

Very, very nice results, Vieri. Wonderful lighting.
Especially # 1 is as beautiful as an old dutch painting.
Are they even handheld and in that case at what shutterspeed ?
I no longer see any EXIF informations left, probably vanished during the text editing.
Thank you very much! I am glad you enjoyed the Ol' Rembrandt Light attempt... ;) They were all handheld, ISO 640, 1/25 sec, f1.4 - EXIF got wiped out by saving them for the web, I guess, sorry about that;