The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ebay Noctilux scam

zombii

Be warned that this item on Ebay is almost certainly a scam.

Leica Noctilux M 50mm F 0 95 50 0 95 ASPH 4022243116023 | eBay

The lens shown is the same lens (serial number and pix) that I bought a couple of weeks ago. I haven't received it yet although there's a package that I have a tracking number for in transit. I spoke to Ebay about it today and they said I'm protected if it doesn't show up or if it isn't as advertised. They made a report about this ad but since it hasn't been removed yet, let potential buyers beware.

stephengilbert

It's hard to imagine someone would buy a $7000 lens from someone who's been an eBay member for two days, and whose only prior transactions were two purchases. We'll see, I guess.

zombii

When I made my buy, the guy had 21 feedbacks. It has since been changed to 2. This person, who I assume is the same, had 0 last night and 2 the last time I looked.

V

Vivek

Be warned that this item on Ebay is almost certainly a scam.

Leica Noctilux M 50mm F 0 95 50 0 95 ASPH 4022243116023 | eBay

The lens shown is the same lens (serial number and pix) that I bought a couple of weeks ago. I haven't received it yet although there's a package that I have a tracking number for in transit. I spoke to Ebay about it today and they said I'm protected if it doesn't show up or if it isn't as advertised. They made a report about this ad but since it hasn't been removed yet, let potential buyers beware.
I don't what the scam is all about?

You posted this 1 week ago: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/leica-m-x-r/45991-noctilux-0-95-question.html

Here you say that you have not received the lens yet. :confused:

monza

mmbma

My advice for these kind of expense purchases is to get it from 1) leica dealers or 2) very well known members from forums like these. The amount you save from ebay is not enough to justify the head ache and risk

Photojazz

7K is way above my ebay comfort level to begin with. If it is something 7K, the seller has to be perfect in every detail. He has to have a lot of feedback, be close to 100% satisfaction rate, and be a seller, not just a buyer, and have at least somewhat recent activity. He also must have items in his history that match the item that he's selling, so if it's a Noct. If he's not a business seller, I better see other Leica history in the history. If he's a business, then I Want to see similar items, whether Nikon, Canon, etc... That's what I look for. Also stateside, normally no international for less headaches.

I hope you get your money back on that sale. I hope Ebay wakes up and takes the ad down!

250swb

People buy cars on Ebay for well over $7000 and sales proceed normally. Not everybody selling a higher priced item is a crook. The percentage of successful scams are far fewer than the numbers of 'friends of a friend' that got scammed. Statistically Ebay is pretty safe, other than the everyday displays of despicable human nature in selling shoddy goods, but which can happen anywhere else in life.

As the seller in this case has limited feedback PayPal shouldn't have released the large sum of money yet, not until positive feedback is left or a period of time has elapsed without a case being opened. Those are the rules.

Steve

Double Negative

Not Available
I don't care if they regularly sell Lamborghinis on eBay. There are better ways to buy certain things, and without making eBay/PayPal richer. ;)

And I don't know about anyone else, but "time and hassle" is enough risk; my time is money.