The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica X Vario - the camera formerly known as Paula

retow

Hi Jono, a nice read and the pics look good. How about a comparison between your OMD with the 12-35mm zoom and (your wife`s?) X-Vario?

retow

Not only that, Fujifilm offers an M bayonet for the X-E1.

What's also interesting: the X-E1 with faster/longer zoom with OIS and built-in EVF is only about $500 more than the cost of the Leica EVF by itself.

:)
That`s not a fair comparison as one has a dot and is made in Germany. Oh, wait a moment, I forgot that "Leica`s" EVF is also made in Japan and lacks the red dot.:eek:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
TodayI tried the X Vario in Leica Store Vienna.

What a great camera -

1) great feel (like M), typically Leica menus and operation (IMHO much better and much more straight forward than Fuji X Pro 1 and E1)
2) exceptionally fast AF (seems better and more accurate than X Pro 1
3) with the Leica EVF mounted at least for me much easier to operate and better image than the X Pro 1 and even X E1 (although only 1.4MP)
4) colors OOC (DNG and JPEG) are very good - very neutral - not like Fuji which tends to overdo colors
5) zoom lens very intuitively to operate and also a very good range (like Fuji 18-55) - although Fuji is faster (maybe not really needed because sensor is excellent even at higher ISO
6) one tiny little high quality package which should deliver exceptional results

I am so thrilled that I might buy one. And get rid of my Fuji, as the Leica X Vario is actually much more the P&S I am looking for and if I need more then go either Nikon D800E or Leica M ...

One word on the external EVF: not only better IQ IMHO than all others I have seen (Fuji, Sony, etc - maybe NOT Olympus), but it is much easier to look through (larger entry) compared to the rest of the market, as well very good on top of the camera, also for 90 degree look through.

For me a real Leica, unfortunately of course also the price :rolleyes:

Godfrey

1mm 4mm wider is a big difference IMO. It's the difference between a 2x crop and a 1.5x crop... also, APS-C still has a decent depth of field control without having to be super close.

Anything smaller than APS-C is tiny IMO. To me, APS-C still can look like full frame at times. m4/3 looks closer to P&S sized sensors at times.
Ah, bullshit. Keep on.

G

Godfrey

TodayI tried the X Vario in Leica Store Vienna.

What a great camera - ...
Nice to hear a positive note in this.
I look forward to seeing one at the local store.

Again, zoom lenses are not my thing, most of the time, but it's nice to see Leica expanding their range of offerings. Even if the internet hates the X Vario ... I bet most of the buyers don't bother with the internet! ;-)

G

Peter Leyenaar

Well, the XE-1 is more like the "Mini M" than the Mini M ever will be because the XE-1 has a built in EVF and at the right place.
Only if your right eye is dominant, for left eye dominants it is awkward and they will get a lot of nose grease on the camera.

V

Vivek

Only if your right eye is dominant, for left eye dominants it is awkward and they will get a lot of nose grease on the camera.
I shoot with any eye that is available with my MM and other fine M mount cameras. No news there.