The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the X-Vario

dhsimmonds

Or they should have taken a slightly smaller sensor (the omd sensor) and put it in a smaller camera (like the Minilux zoom).
I am not sure if the choose the right compromise (for my taste) between price, size and lens.
Why not just use the OMD which even with the kit zoom lens is faster? It comes complete with an excellent EVF and the ability to attach a superb range of lenses including the superb Pana Leica D fast prime lenses. It is also very small and light to carry around, all with excellent IQ capability!

Oh, it is also half the price of the X-vario! :D

The very big downside is of course thai it does not come with a red dot. ;)

V

Vivek

Why not just use the OMD which even with the kit zoom lens is faster? It comes complete with an excellent EVF and the ability to attach a superb range of lenses including the superb Pana Leica D fast prime lenses. It is also very small and light to carry around, all with excellent IQ capability!

Oh, it is also half the price of the X-vario! :D

The very big downside is of course thai it does not come with a red dot. ;)
I typed in "Leica Logo" in eBay and that brought up a lot of stickers, etc specifically designed for cameras like the RX100 and such. No need for Hasselblad or Leica to pimp up a camera.

Just try it. It is a lot of fun. :)

PS: It is SHOCKING to see Leica Fellowship posting stuff like this! :shocked:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think for my taste they should have included a finder and a little faster lens as soon as the camera got the size it has.
It is not a real compact anyways, so a little bigger lens would not have hurt (me).
Or they should have taken a slightly smaller sensor (the omd sensor) and put it in a smaller camera (like the Minilux zoom).
I am not sure if the choose the right compromise (for my taste) between price, size and lens.
As I already posted in another thread I tried one today - with the EVF - and I was positively surprised how great this combo works. Also holding the camera in hand you immediately understand why there would not be space left for a built in EVF, without making the camera significantly larger. Also the "slow" zoom contributes to the size (small size) of the camera. I operated it directly in comparison with the new M and it is substantially smaller.

The sensor seems to be really excellent at higher ISO which justifies the slower and smaller lens. One can argue that a faster lens allows for better isolation - true, but I think this camera is not designed with those in mind who want/need F2.0 and faster.

But what it gives you is a nice, compact, very well built and easily to operate travel and everyday camera, which is definitely on the upper side of the pack.

I am very tempted to get one!

bradhusick

This thread is supposed to show photos from a camera. There are several other threads trashing the Vario X. May I suggest we start this thread over again and only post photos and comments about those photos?

V

Vivek

This thread is supposed to show photos from a camera. There are several other threads trashing the Vario X. May I suggest we start this thread over again and only post photos and comments about those photos?
I would second that with a caveat that the owner should have bought the camera for full retail price.

Paratom

As I already posted in another thread I tried one today - with the EVF - and I was positively surprised how great this combo works. Also holding the camera in hand you immediately understand why there would not be space left for a built in EVF, without making the camera significantly larger. Also the "slow" zoom contributes to the size (small size) of the camera. I operated it directly in comparison with the new M and it is substantially smaller.

The sensor seems to be really excellent at higher ISO which justifies the slower and smaller lens. One can argue that a faster lens allows for better isolation - true, but I think this camera is not designed with those in mind who want/need F2.0 and faster.

But what it gives you is a nice, compact, very well built and easily to operate travel and everyday camera, which is definitely on the upper side of the pack.

I am very tempted to get one!
I also handled one today and have to say it feels very nice. The best thing is the user interface - IMO much better than most m4/3 cameras, which are too packed with functions and menues.

I resisted, it really feels good in the hand.

V

Vivek

It is possible for me to try it on 20th June at the local boutique. :)

Paratom

Yesterday I told my dealer I wont buy a x-vario.
It didnt make sense to me. Slower zoom than OMD, slower AF, no viewfinder

Today I handeled one (I was in the store for something else and the dealer gave me one) and...It does make sense: usefull focal length, simple straight forward user interface, very intuitive, better IQ than the OMD (I even believe better than a Fuji XE etc) and a very very nice feel.
But I told myself it doesnt make sense.
After work I went there another time...

Now since many say we on getdpi are not the target group...is something wrong with me? ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Yesterday I told my dealer I wont buy a x-vario.
It didnt make sense to me. Slower zoom than OMD, slower AF, no viewfinder

Today I handeled one (I was in the store for something else and the dealer gave me one) and...It does make sense: usefull focal length, simple straight forward user interface, very intuitive, better IQ than the OMD (I even believe better than a Fuji XE etc) and a very very nice feel.
But I told myself it doesnt make sense.
After work I went there another time...

Now since many say we on getdpi are not the target group...is something wrong with me? ;)
Tom,

I am fully with you!

Peter

dhsimmonds

Tom

Useful images to test this new baby at higher ISO than we have been seeing elsewhere! Many thanks.
:worthless:

MikalWGrass

Tom, there is something wrong with all of us considering we give this much time to a piece of camera equipment that does nothing different than the stuff we already have.

peterv

Hi Tom, nice images. Are these OOCJPG's? The flowers look a bit overexposed. In the last photo on the right side, small OOF clouds? Strange rendering of the white clouds, must be my iPad...

Thanks for sharing!

pophoto

The camera will not suffer from daylight outdoor photography, if you are into low light indoor photography without a flash, then you had better look elsewhere, this is the simplest way to put it!

Paratom

Hi Tom, nice images. Are these OOCJPG's? The flowers look a bit overexposed. In the last photo on the right side, small OOF clouds? Strange rendering of the white clouds, must be my iPad...

Thanks for sharing!
LR4 from DNG. I didnt check if there is a profile for the new camera.
For some reason the DNG were brighter than the OOC jogs.
But from the histogram the highlights should not be blown.

All 3 images i did nothing but very slight exp comp in LR.
Thats what I like about Leica - the default values/images come out nice and with some pop without looking overdone (IMO).

peterv

Thanks, yes that's one of the good things with Leica. I suspect it is the way the lenses render a scene, nicely sharp and contrasty without going over the top, very natural looking. I guess for you, knowing your photos, the Vario would be a nice 'lightweight' for sunday afternoon walks with your kids.

Paratom

The camera will not suffer from daylight outdoor photography, if you are into low light indoor photography without a flash, then you had better look elsewhere, this is the simplest way to put it!
Yes, you probably have to use the flash more often compared to a camera with faster lens.
It is not a Leica MM with a Noctilux.

Paratom

Here is another one - just a little exp. comp. Is it too red? (I feel the flowers suffered from the jpg compression when reducing the file size for the web-the different red tones get lost in the jpg file (converted in LR) -strange)