The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the X-Vario

jonoslack

Hi There
Well, I'll start doing some posts soon.
Tom - congratulations - I don't think you'll regret it (it's really grown on me).
Sure - it's for good light.
As for the reds - I'd say they're just slightly over-exposed - I've not otherwise had problems.
all the best

V

Vivek

I went to the store to buy a adapter to use a Contax 45-90 (from ebay) on my Leica S. Once I put the adapter and the lens on my S I didn't like the handling, and I didn't like the viewfinder of the S to get darker /caused by the f4.5)
So I decided this combo is not for me, I will stay with the primes I have.

The dealer just gave me the x-Vario in the hand and let me play.
It grew on me and 3 hours later I decided to buy one.

What I am trying to say.... it is not only plain numbers which tell you what works for you and what doesn't. What I thought would work for me did not, and what I thought would not work for me does.
Many fables come to my mind. I am sure there are some specific ones from your region that may apply to this predicament as well.

Good luck! Have fun! :)

animefx

Part of my is glad that X Vario is a dissapointment because I just ordered a Ricoh GR.

I really only started paying attention to the GR a few weeks ago. It seriously looks to be a strong contender for best street cameras. Lens is sharp wide open, it's small and the ergonomics are supposed to be near perfect.

Shashin

The camera will not suffer from daylight outdoor photography, if you are into low light indoor photography without a flash, then you had better look elsewhere, this is the simplest way to put it!
Sorry, but that is not true. Back in the silver age of photography, I did low-light photography with medium-format cameras with f/3.5 and f/4 lenses and 400ISO film. If that is the camera you want, then it will work. With a few exceptions, photography is not limited by the equipment.

fultonpics

we need more great images here to show off what this camera can do. people keep saying it is great for daytime photos, lets see more! i want to compare the images to the ones that show up on the fun with the rx1 forum. basically same price, so lets see what our talented photographers can do with it.

jonoslack

Here are a couple of of camera jpgs from the last day or so
Enjoy! Exif should be intact.
There Will Be More!

David Brown

Carleton Forehoe​

biglouis

Why not just use the OMD which even with the kit zoom lens is faster? It comes complete with an excellent EVF and the ability to attach a superb range of lenses including the superb Pana Leica D fast prime lenses. It is also very small and light to carry around, all with excellent IQ capability!

Oh, it is also half the price of the X-vario! :D

The very big downside is of course thai it does not come with a red dot. ;)
Dave

My head says you are right my heart says you are wrong. I'm going to have to think carefully about this one before doing anything rash!

Why?

Leica optics on a sensible sized sensor in a small package. OK, the lens is slow but the number of times I have shot below 5.6 on the street or landscape I can't count on the fingers of one hand.

LouisB

jonoslack

Why not just use the OMD which even with the kit zoom lens is faster? It comes complete with an excellent EVF and the ability to attach a superb range of lenses including the superb Pana Leica D fast prime lenses. It is also very small and light to carry around, all with excellent IQ capability!
Hi Dave
With the kit lens? that's simple - the IQ on the Vario is just streets ahead. With the Panasonic 12-35 is a much more interesting question.

There is a point in limiting one's choices however - and there is a simplicity about picking up a 'one stop' solution as well. Especially one which is particularly transparent from a photographic point of view (as the XV is).

Really, it depends on what turns you on, but it seems to me that the image quality and the ergonomics gives the XV a good excuse for its existence. I still maintain (as I did in the review) that it's unlikely to be readers of photo forums who will buy it - what I DIDN'T mean was that it was people who didn't understand photography who would buy it.

all the best

DavidE

First attempt at shooting low-light with the X Vario.

All were shot handheld at 70mm (full-frame equivalent), f/6.4, 1/30 of a second, and ISO 1600. Processed in Lightroom 5 to individual taste.

jonoslack

Another at 3200 ISO - this time using the software based IS
I'd always written it off as worthless, but actually it works really well.

Caspar Snoozin'

DavidE

Great stuff David - it works better than one might imagine - I've found the software based IS works well at these shutter speeds as well.
Thanks, Jono. I'll give the IS feature a try. Good to know it works well.

And thanks for posting the Paula and X Vario articles. Those articles (and Sean Reid's review) helped convinced me that this camera might be a good companion for my Monochrom.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Here is a shot in low light (quiet hospital high dependency light).

Exif is intact . .

the picture is of our little granddaughter who was 7 weeks old on Friday - she was born at 25 weeks weighing 744 gms (1lb 10 oz) today she was 2lb 13oz and she has just come out of the incubator into a cot.

Scarlett - 58mm equivalent 1250 ISO

V

Vivek

for those who like to see some more images from the x-vario: I found a review with many nice images here: Review: Leica X Vario Defies Naysayers with Impressive Optics
Wonderful read! Thanks for sharing! :)

Here are a few excerpts I found very enlightening.

Engineered to last beyond the electronics

Leica is proud of its engineering prowess, and it should be. Leica products are renowned for their precision feel, and the X Vario continues this tradition. The top plate is machined from solid aluminium in the same process as that used for the Leica M, but that is probably the closest the X Vario will ever come to its famous rangefinder cousins. The letterings are silk screened instead of being engraved, which I find slightly disappointing.
The Slow and The Furious

Leica doesn’t make haste when it comes to product development, and this trait rubs off on the products. Yes, the Leica X Vario is slow. While it is not hopelessly slow as the Sigma DP series, the autofocus is roughly comparable to the Fuji X100 (original, not the S version) and the Fuji XE-1.
The most obvious competitor would be the Fuji XE-1 with 18-55mm zoom lens, or in fact – any of the 16MP Micro Four-Thirds (M4/3) cameras out there. All of them offer large sensors (relative to compacts), interchangeable lenses and image stabilization. And that’s not to mention they are all significantly cheaper, and the M4/3 will kick the living daylights from Leica when it comes to focusing speed.

Forget about grabbing the decisive moment with this camera – it is just too slow. Instead, it is all about taking the time to observe and compose, and taking good long strolls with the Leica in your hands (and Zegna on your back).
Added:

Let’s be honest here – there are only two reasons why you are still reading this very negative review about the Leica Vario X. You could be a Leica-hater who is gloating at this over-priced but under-specced camera, so you can quote this review to denigrate the Leica on the forums. Or you might be a Leica fan-boy waiting to read something positive about the camera, so you can go online to defend against the masses and Romans out to crucifix your rich religion.
I can’t remember the last time a camera gave me such mixed feelings. For those who hate and deride the X Vario, I’m certain it is not because of the image quality, because the camera delivers quality in spades.

Do these people go around hating anyone who drives a Porsche or owns a Hermes handbag too?

Last edited:

Paratom

With all negatives and positives he has the same impression I have: the lens is slow but the optical quality in regards of detail/sharpness, distortion and color seems very good.
I wish I had 2 weeks time to travel and to check it out with more subjects other than snapshots around the house.