The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the X-Vario

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a shot in low light (quiet hospital high dependency light).

Exif is intact . .

the picture is of our little granddaughter who was 7 weeks old on Friday - she was born at 25 weeks weighing 744 gms (1lb 10 oz) today she was 2lb 13oz and she has just come out of the incubator into a cot.
Proud Granddad All the essentials labels a baby picture requires, Name, Focal length and ISO LOL
Very nice and amazing how they work with preemies these days. 18 years from now I imagine that the focal length and ISO beneath her image may be a source of family jokes:p

V

Vivek

Proud Granddad All the essentials labels a baby picture requires, Name, Focal length and ISO LOL
Very nice and amazing how they work with preemies these days. 18 years from now I imagine that the focal length and ISO beneath her image may be a source of family jokes:p
I am thinking that in about a month's time, the grandpa will be forced to use his EM-5 + the 12-35 to capture the moments. :)

All the best, Jono! :) The miracles of life. :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Wonderful granddaughter!

And beautiful image!

Had similar breathtaking moments when my youngest daughter was born 2 years ago, although her birth was luckily normal. She will celebrate her 2nd birthday on 24th June :)

All the best to the new baked granddad!

Peter

jonoslack

Wonderful read! Thanks for sharing! :)

Here are a few excerpts I found very enlightening.
HI Vivek - I thought it a good review too - although your excerpts seem to me to be rather lopsided - he also wrote:
The image quality from the Leica X Vario is brilliant! For all its failings, the image quality from the Leica is really commendable — thanks to the APS-C sensor and an excellent lens. Leica was right on the money when it claimed “this combination is a world’s first and sets completely new standards for imaging quality in this camera class. The resulting exposures show outstanding brilliance…”
. . . and

Where Leica loses out in terms of technology like image stabilization and fast autofocus, it excels in colour rendition. The X Vario delivers beautiful colours that Leica is renowned for, and this is one area where the lens absolutely shines. Even complex colours such as red and purple are rendered with fidelity, and this is one area where even leading brands sometimes struggle.
Which is pretty much the same as Sean Reid and I said - i.e. great image quality, great lens quality - too slow AF, too slow lens.

But I also like the ergonomics, and the manual focusing is lovely (much nicer than the fly by wire focusing on the Fuji 18-55 for instance).

It seems to me that as long as a camera has good image quality, then it has a place in somebody's camera bag (depending on what they want).

all the best

V

Vivek

Which is pretty much the same as Sean Reid and I said - i.e. great image quality, great lens quality - too slow AF, too slow lens.

But I also like the ergonomics, and the manual focusing is lovely (much nicer than the fly by wire focusing on the Fuji 18-55 for instance).

It seems to me that as long as a camera has good image quality, then it has a place in somebody's camera bag (depending on what they want).

all the best
Hi Jono,

Yes, I agree with your last line.

What you say about the camera (with the caveats about saying good stuff in the open and the drawbacks only to Leica) does not count. In other words, as I see it, you introduce a camera and you really do not review it.
Don't know about the other person and I will never know what he says as I don't pay to read such stuff.

The second line about the manual focusing is the exact opposite of what petapixel reviewer says.

What is undisputable is what kind of memorable events one captures with this or any other camera- priceless. :)

Godfrey

What is undisputable is what kind of memorable events one captures with this or any other camera- priceless. :)
My photographic endeavor this weekend was scanning about 90 old slides spanning from the early 1970s to the mid-1990s. No great art indeed, but sheer gold for the memories and story they present, regardless of the quality. A couple of observations:

- Modern cameras, any of them , are so much better and easier to make technically perfect images with it's not easily measurable.

- For all the crappy exposure, poor focus, dirty film, limited DR, and other defects, the content of these photos remains the real value of photography. And they have charm in presenting it.

I'm sure the photos made with the XV, whomever buys and loves it, will end up being far more important than the camera regardless of its technical merits. :)

G

jonoslack

Hi There
Two more shots taken in very poor light
In both cases it's 1/30th second and 3200 ISO using the software image stabilisation.

These are relevant because they're the type of shot you shouldn't use the camera for (so I'm told).

Scarlett Comfy in her Cot

Matty Comfy by the Aga​

jonoslack

Two more high ISO shots - this time on a very grey and miserable morning in a dark and dreary lane - both using 70mm handheld at 1/80th

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi There
Two more shots taken in very poor light
In both cases it's 1/30th second and 3200 ISO using the software image stabilisation.

These are relevant because they're the type of shot you shouldn't use the camera for (so I'm told).

Scarlett Comfy in her Cot

Matty Comfy by the Aga​
Well, for the fact that you should not use the camera for such shots, these are outstanding!

Peter

fultonpics

just got it. walked to work in Palo Alto and took a few snap shots. the out of camera jpegs are amazing. can't wait to do some real work with it. for sure a great travel camera. fits in same cheap incase the rx1 its in. (these are compressed for web and setting on camera was 'idiot' - auto everything) looks like i'm back in the Kodachrome days!

MikalWGrass

Jono: lovely shots of your granddaughter. Like Vivek I wonder if you will use this camera when she is frolicking around with Caspar and Matty. All the best. Give your beautiful granddaughter a collective kiss from all of us on this forum.

peterv

Very nice pictures here!
Tom, your last photo shows an interesting 3D look. I don't now where, but during the past few days I've seen this before. Makes the lens all the more interesting.
I guess the guys and girls over at fredmiranda will soon start a new 3D effect thread, and rightly so!
Cheers, Peter

Shashin

Jono, congratulation on your expanding family.

But back to the topic at hand. These reports are really annoying. While facts are nice, they don't have the same bite as imagination. I have a great suspicion that all the damning critique before the release is going to result in a large jump in hat sales, as folks are going to have to find a replacement to the ones that have just ate. But I still would rather judge a book by its cover.

jonoslack

Jono, congratulation on your expanding family.

But back to the topic at hand. These reports are really annoying. While facts are nice, they don't have the same bite as imagination. I have a great suspicion that all the damning critique before the release is going to result in a large jump in hat sales, as folks are going to have to find a replacement to the ones that have just ate. But I still would rather judge a book by its cover.
:chug:

Hi There!
I'm not absolutely certain who you think is going to have to eat their hats? The naysayers or the yeasayers?

At any rate - I'm an experienced hat eater, and have found a good source of tasty ones which I can tuck in to at any U turn :p (nearest I can do to a yummy emoticon).

I agree that imagination is better than fact - also that Leica should have known better than to stimulate people's imagination with that silly piece of internet teasing - But I also think that the public are a funny lot, and I reckon that Roger Cicala's Law of New Camera Introduction will probably turn out to apply to the XVario as well.

It's even possibly the case that there are people who would simply have ignored the camera . . . . . but after their fury are now noticing that other's are actually liking it.

Shashin

I'm not absolutely certain who you think is going to have to eat their hats? The naysayers or the yeasayers?
Exactly!

Releases seem to go through this cycle with folks are really excited about company X rumor of a release, then this despair of an actual leak, to comments on how company X can't make cameras and shoulda asked them, to the actual release when everyone discovers it is actually a just camera and does what a camera is supposed to do and does it well.

Quite frankly, I am finding the release cycle exhausting. It is a wonder that photographers can actually find the time to take pictures...

Lightcraftsman

It's even possibly the case that there are people who would simply have ignored the camera . . . . . but after their fury are now noticing that other's are actually liking it.
That might be me. I'm torn between the Fuji X-E1 and the X Vario. I rented an X-E1 for a trip to Denmark and was very impressed. It is also a more versatile camera than the X Vario. However, seeing the JPEGs from the X Vario makes me think it may be the image quality winner*, and I'd much rather work with DNG files than proprietary RAW formats. The Lecia seems to have a simpler UI than the X-E1, which is a nice camera to use.

Decisions, decisions. Ease of use, IQ and DNG files vs. lower cost and greater versatility.

Maybe I should just flip a coin.

*I need to find some X Vario RAW files to download.

barjohn

I keep looking for the outstanding IQ I would expect from this camera but have yet to see it. The colors appear to be over saturated in most of the images I have seen posted with fine detail smeared away and a lack of sharp/crisp focus. They do not appear to match the X1 or X2 so far. I'm looking on a calibrated iMac 27' so I don't think it is my monitor. Green grass and reds seem to be the most over saturated colors and it gives images that P&S look. I would like to see side by side comparison shots of the same subject taken with an X100s or XE-1 in good light and in low light. Perhaps one of you can provide some RAW files for download and comparison.