The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the X-Vario

Paratom

I keep looking for the outstanding IQ I would expect from this camera but have yet to see it. The colors appear to be over saturated in most of the images I have seen posted with fine detail smeared away and a lack of sharp/crisp focus. They do not appear to match the X1 or X2 so far. I'm looking on a calibrated iMac 27' so I don't think it is my monitor. Green grass and reds seem to be the most over saturated colors and it gives images that P&S look. I would like to see side by side comparison shots of the same subject taken with an X100s or XE-1 in good light and in low light. Perhaps one of you can provide some RAW files for download and comparison.
Hi John,
in my experience there are 2 factors with most digital Leicas:
1) I believe the lenses are very good in regards to colors and "punch".
2) Leica tweaks profiles/basic settings toward a "punchy" saturated image. (By the way I believe those glossy IMac displays are optimized in the same way)
So what you find oversaturated could be a combination of those 2 factors lens and profile.
However I dont find the images from the vario to have a P&S look, because they have much finer grain, and while colors are strong/saturated they do match very good what I remember to have seen in reality (I know subjective). Also tonal transition with the vario look much finer to me compared to P&S. P&S often have a more "digital" look. Specially in regards to skin color, where I find the vario pretty good.
You can e-mail me and I can send you some raws if you like the next days.
Still images and color from Fuji have a different color look than those from Leica, so I guess it is also a matter of taste what one likes.

fultonpics

I'm finding the Leica Vario X jpegs a tad too sharp and a bit heavy on contrast coming out of the camera. (maybe this is what Paratom is referring too) This makes them look 'great' for quick web posts but not so great for sending to editors. I'm not seeing the referenced color bleed unless I'm on a cheaper monitor, like a macbook air. even my RX1 files exhibit some bleed in the out of focus backgrounds on those kinda of monitors. Working with the raw Vario X files is much better and you can really see the difference between the unadjusted raw images (flat) and the Leica out of camera jpegs (look like Kodachrome 25).

My reference/work systems are: the NEC PA271 / Mac Pro for home edit and retina MacBooks for field. I can't stress how important it is to have a first class monitor when comparing files from different cameras!

Godfrey

I'm finding the Leica Vario X jpegs a tad too sharp and a bit heavy on contrast coming out of the camera. (maybe this is what Paratom is referring too) This makes them look 'great' for quick web posts but not so great for sending to editors. I'm not seeing the referenced color bleed unless I'm on a cheaper monitor, like a macbook air. even my RX1 files exhibit some bleed in the out of focus backgrounds on those kinda of monitors. Working with the raw Vario X files is much better and you can really see the difference between the unadjusted raw images (flat) and the Leica out of camera jpegs (look like Kodachrome 25).

My reference/work systems are: the NEC PA271 / Mac Pro for home edit and retina MacBooks for field. I can't stress how important it is to have a first class monitor when comparing files from different cameras!
So change the default image processing settings. ;-)

G

DavidE

I was in NYC last week. Shot mostly with the M Monochrom, but did manage to grab these two with the X Vario.

I really like the way the RAW files convert to b&w in Lightroom.

satybhat

Fun with X-Vario... OK for some reason, this thread I started a while ago went un-noticed...
so posting it here again.

Bought it on a whim. I was a bit skeptical, but being a contrarian at heart, took the plunge... and actually found it quite versatile and handy. TBH, if there had been not much of an internet furore over the whole thing, I doubt if I would have gotten it.
The lens is incredible for what it is, (all those who snob it need to use it first). I would definitely prefer this to an x2 / x100s for non-committed travel photography ( if I dont wish to carry the mono / M9) since I am not so hard pressed for the "prime" advantage when it comes to compacts. All in all, great colours, did some minimal clarity and vibrance adjustment on these pics from yesterday. Lets see yours..

Attachments

DaveS

Re: Fun with the X-Vario - adding some pics

I am adding some pics from last weekend in Seattle. Didn't think I would buy this camera, but it is a nice back up for larger format (and some larger size) cameras that I typically use. This past weekend I only took a IIIG with film, and the Vario was intended for back up only, but I used up my two rolls of film way faster than I expected, so out came the Vario.

For the X Vario I find I have to sharpen quite a bit to get the image I like, but once I do that, I think it is pretty good. (+50 - 65 sharpen in lightroom)

cheers,
Dave

ceh

Hi Jono,
I am really satisfied. Actually, Leica have produced exactly a camera which I need for my trips (with or without ski). Low weight, excellent picture quality at all focuses, perfect zoom range. Nothing else I need.

This image has been made by my wife with Leica V-Lux30
:)