The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X mount, what if? (Humor needed)

pophoto

Hey,

I think it's a good time to ask, how many of you would like an interchangeable lens based off the current X vario camera?

So begs the question...
Meaning the same 16MP APS-C sensor mirrorless camera. Sorry again no viewfinder, you gotta pay if you want to join the Leica club. IQ will be that of the current camera, thus better than the X2 slightly! Cost $2200 for the camera body along with the rest of the spec same as the X Vario, lets call it x-mount.

First few lenses:
A zoom 28-70mm f/2.8-f/4, $1500
An Elmarit 35mm f/2.8, $1000
A Summicron 50mm f/2, $1500

Yes, these numbers are random, BUT would you?

Call it FANTASY CAMERA (soccer/football) if you like! Who know, perhaps Leica might want hear for a change! (Yeah right!)

Po

D&A

Po, if I understand you correctly, that is the camera I was proposing that Leica might consider as a camera positioned between the X2 and the current M mount cameras. It would appeal to a variety of target users and I believe would have been widely accepted..even by those who use traditional leica rangefinders (M8,M9, M-E ect.) as an alternative camera or 2nd body.

Dave (D&A)

retow

Hey,

I think it's a good time to ask, how many of you would like an interchangeable lens based off the current X vario camera?

So begs the question...
Meaning the same 16MP APS-C sensor mirrorless camera. Sorry again no viewfinder, you gotta pay if you want to join the Leica club. IQ will be that of the current camera, thus better than the X2 slightly! Cost $2200 for the camera body along with the rest of the spec same as the X Vario, lets call it x-mount.

First few lenses:
A zoom 28-70mm f/2.8-f/4, $1500
An Elmarit 35mm f/2.8, $1000
A Summicron 50mm f/2, $1500

Yes, these numbers are random, BUT would you?

Call it FANTASY CAMERA (soccer/football) if you like! Who know, perhaps Leica might want hear for a change! (Yeah right!)

Po
It`s called Fuji XE-1 and priced around USD 1100, including that quite good 28-85mm e f2.8-4 zoom, IS end integrated EVF included.

pophoto

retow: Leica is clearly a brand a lot of people want to associate with them, whether it will be their first Leica camera or something with their name on it. I'm not suggesting it's just a bling product, despite many might feel it so.

Leica cameras for me, having owned the M9, X1 and X2 do have a tactile feel and simplicity that makes you want to shoot with it and feel like you are really learn or practicing the art of photography. The lenses themselves are great, not just from an IQ pov, but also how they feel in operation, size and weight! Sure, there are plenty or adapters for M mount for m43, to Nex and Fuji too....

Fuji on the other hand DOES offer itself as a great alternative, but it's just not a Leica. It's like saying every photographer or artist is the same, it simply isn't so. So for the sake of argument, let's just play along, and if isn't for you that's fine too.

It really did seem the X Vario did disappoint a lot of people for different reasons. I wonder if like I suggested at the top, would people still shell out for it. Your suggestion is clear, and right now Fuji is the one to watch in the mirrorless market until Sony brings out their full frame ILC, but then if the XE-1 or X-Pro 1 was enough, no one should feel upset or disappointed.

For myself, I am excited about the 2nd generation of X Pro 2 or XE-2 hopefully with part phase detection, and better flash system, but I still don't like the Raw converters handle the X trans sensor, it still need work.

Anyways, I' hope I've covered enough about Fuji or someone could suggest Fantasy camera over on the Fuji thread, so back to Leica X for now?

Dave: Sorry if you have suggested this earlier, I didn't read through all the postings, but yes, I would be game, even if the lenses were somewhat more expensive, or maybe as expensive as full frame dslr lenses.

tjv

The X-Vario is the an epic fail in almost everyones book. The only camera that comes off worse value for money is the Luna(tic) Hasselblad.

Of course this is all just my humble personal opinion...

The camera you have described above would have been acceptable to many and sold in acceptable numbers (for Leica), I imagine, although I would not have bought one.

Personally, I am waiting for a Leica camera with the tactile, nimble and solid build of an M240 but with the possibility of AF lenses – maintaining manual RF focusing – and a hybrid viewfinder.

pophoto

tjv,

I did fail to mention that AF lenses is of importance. I doubt Leica will ever release a Full frame AF ILC...

Your humble opinion is very valid!

retow

retow: Leica is clearly a brand a lot of people want to associate with them, whether it will be their first Leica camera or something with their name on it. I'm not suggesting it's just a bling product, despite many might feel it so.

Leica cameras for me, having owned the M9, X1 and X2 do have a tactile feel and simplicity that makes you want to shoot with it and feel like you are really learn or practicing the art of photography. The lenses themselves are great, not just from an IQ pov, but also how they feel in operation, size and weight! Sure, there are plenty or adapters for M mount for m43, to Nex and Fuji too....

Fuji on the other hand DOES offer itself as a great alternative, but it's just not a Leica. It's like saying every photographer or artist is the same, it simply isn't so. So for the sake of argument, let's just play along, and if isn't for you that's fine too.

It really did seem the X Vario did disappoint a lot of people for different reasons. I wonder if like I suggested at the top, would people still shell out for it. Your suggestion is clear, and right now Fuji is the one to watch in the mirrorless market until Sony brings out their full frame ILC, but then if the XE-1 or X-Pro 1 was enough, no one should feel upset or disappointed.

For myself, I am excited about the 2nd generation of X Pro 2 or XE-2 hopefully with part phase detection, and better flash system, but I still don't like the Raw converters handle the X trans sensor, it still need work.

Anyways, I' hope I've covered enough about Fuji or someone could suggest Fantasy camera over on the Fuji thread, so back to Leica X for now?

Dave: Sorry if you have suggested this earlier, I didn't read through all the postings, but yes, I would be game, even if the lenses were somewhat more expensive, or maybe as expensive as full frame dslr lenses.
People are shelling out USD 800 for a rebadged and USD 300 priced Panasonic in a different housing. Imagine the Fuji XE-1 in a X1 alike designed gestalt and a red dot on it. It would sell like hot cakes for USD 2000 as it would be the true successor to the D-Lux2.

douglasf13

I think there could be a market for such a camera, if the lenses (designed for aps-c) were M-quality in IQ and nearly in build, and there was a complete line of primes. It would be tough to compete with NEX and the Zeiss/Touits for the price (I'm not interested in Fuji's X-Trans, having owned an X100s,) but I could see the appeal of such a Leica system.

D&A

Douglas, even if Leica issued such a camera without initially a new line of high quality APS lenses until they saw the sales figures and success of such a camera, I think just the fact it could take interchangeable M lenses, would make it very popular....certainly more so then in it's current configuration.

Dave (D&A)

douglasf13

Douglas, even if Leica issued such a camera without initially a new line of high quality APS lenses until they saw the sales figures and success of such a camera, I think just the fact it could take interchangeable M lenses, would make it very popular....certainly more so then in it's current configuration.

Dave (D&A)

Maybe, but you can already use M lenses on lots of other aps-c cameras, and the electronics part isn't exactly Leica's strong suit.