The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Showoff thread

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Leica was kind enough to lift my NDA on the engraving :). Leather by Aloysius NG and strap by Gordy. Up front, every non-Leica user I met liked it, some Leica fans did not ;).
As for stealth - if you turn your camera into a conversation topic, it is rarely noticed that you are actually using it to take photographs. ;)

I couldn't find the original thread, so mods, feel free to merge.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Jaap, Looks great! Mine is not that nice looking. It is what it is, as they say. :)

Snapped with a NEX-5N and Leitz Summar 35/4.5

A result from that set-up (with a bit of added doodahs which aren't shown for brevity)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

V

Vivek

I was a bit hesitant about that, Jaap but the lever on the right of the lens mount has one plus the shutter (re-cocking) sound is so reminiscent of a clock work. So, it works out somewhat. No champagne but close. :)

Godfrey

Vivek,

Neat! I have two Robots and three lenses. What are you using to adapt them to LTM?

G

jonoslack

HI Jaap
Is it black paint rather than chrome?
Hi Vivek
Nicely minimalist . .. now, where's mine
Ah - here

Strap made by Silas (thank you)
Simplistic engraving done by Leica (thank you - sorry I took the black paint out, but I like the brass showing through).
Gunmetal finish courtesy of my greasy hands and much use.

I like it :D

Last edited:
V

Vivek

HI Jaap
Is it black paint rather than chrome?
Hi Vivek
Nicely minimalist . .. now, where's mine
Ah - here

Strap made by Silas (thank you)
Simplistic engraving done by Leica (thank you - sorry I took the black paint out, but I like the brass showing through).
Gunmetal finish courtesy of my greasy hands and much use.

I like it :D
Hi Jono,

I hate to disagree with Jaap but the reality is that despite the "stealth" appearance with no logos and such, this (MM, even with a low profile black painted lens) gets recognized every time and all the time as a camera and I get noticed as taking pictures. Even with a camera like the NEX-5 and its loud shot gun shutter, no one was bothered. I am constantly surprised about this fact.

D&A

Just cannot get sexier than this!

my baby M2
If you ever decide to sell this, is your FS ad (without posted image) going to suggest it has just a small amount of brassing? :ROTFL: (I couldn't resist :))

Dave (D&A)

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

I hate to disagree with Jaap but the reality is that despite the "stealth" appearance with no logos and such, this (MM, even with a low profile black painted lens) gets recognized every time and all the time as a camera and I get noticed as taking pictures. Even with a camera like the NEX-5 and its loud shot gun shutter, no one was bothered. I am constantly surprised about this fact.
HI Vivek
That's because you live in a super-camera-aware city - me? nobody notices an old fool with an old looking camera . . . added to which, most of the time there's nobody to notice me!

To be honest I couldn't care less - but I do find that people don't seem to mind having their photograph taken using an M - I think it's because of the visible eye, and it doesn't look like you have some huge weapon stuck in front of your face . . . .but of course, this goes for the NEX too. The M(240) has a much quieter shutter (for the victim at least), and so it's even less obvious.

By the way - I don't regularly put my name on a camera - it was just a sentimental response to this one having tested it - the M8/M9 also has my name on it.

The Gaffer tape idea really makes me laugh - I can just imagine in the School of Street Theft . . . .

Now then - the make of a camera is not a good guide to it's worth, however, you can be absolutely sure that if a camera has gaffer tape on the owner is trying to hide the fact that it's valuable - so steal it.

I met Jaap in Berlin for the Monochrom launch - they also presented the Hermes edition - which was funny, as we were shown this silver chrome camera with light brown leather . . . . . . . just like the one hung around Jaap's neck! He certainly got a few looks wandering around with it.

Rambling again

all the best

V

Vivek

Hi Jono,

Nah, it happened in India also (my first days with the camera) . Here, no one gives a toss about the NEX - in the sense, no one takes it seriously.

Anyway, each have their own purpose. :)

Well, now we know where Jaap got his inspiration from..:ROTFL:

RS

Maybe this will provide some "additional" inspiration...Obviously this isn't mine but something I found on the internet...

Leica M9 P White Chrome Noctilux M 50mm F0 95 Rare Limited Edition 19 50 | eBay

LEICA M9-P WHITE + CHROME NOCTILUX-M 50mm f0.95 NIB RARE *Limited Edition #19/50

...Limited edition #19/50. Comes complete new in the box with M9-P White camera body, chrome Noctilux 50mm F0.95Asph 6Bit lens, black satin presentation case for both, white leather outfit case for the lens, white leather shoulder strap for the body, matching paperwork and box...Starting bid:US $32,500.00 with a modest shipping cost of US $645.00

wattsy

For something so expensive, it is remarkable how cheap and nasty that white M9P looks. The white engraving, the black plastic control wheel and buttons, the shiny white leather – a truly hideous dog's dinner.

MichaelToye

Not a great image of mine, but the soft leather strap is so comfortable on my neck on my regular day long walks round London.