The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M 240 test see samples here

Stefan Steib

Vivek
I would have loved to try a flash, but I just got the naked camera,the 35mm, the 90mm and 1 Battery..... pretty basic kit...... :)

The exposure is very exact, I tried several times to improve the Auto mode manually, but so far even with opposite lighting it was on target.

Colors are hard to compare with a CCD, overall the LR5 conversion that I was using was very pleasing out of the box, I also tried with Aperture but had to do more to match, so I stuck with LR5 (which is really good!).
I think as the native format of the camera is DNG, they have worked closely with Adobe, LR5 is made for it. Impressive !
CCD´s (I mostly use my Capture One for this) are less saturated at this standard setting, but that could probably be matched exactly by a preset.
Shadow noise is fantastic - NONE - NADA -NIENTE....... WOW !

These files look organic even if you pull them apart/compress them with Higlights and shadows. The results are not getting these "ugly HDR colors" that sometimes appear when you need to remove too much contrast.
So my estimation is : Huge DR, at least as good as an IQ180 or a Credo80.
This CMOSIS chip is quite good. I wish they would do the same quality with 40 Mpix in the S2.

The higher Isos are also looking interesting will know more after the weekend.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Last edited:

Stefan Steib

Attention parental guidance needed. Just explain your kids water is expensive these days. And no - this is not a demo for homosexual equal rights..... :)
Wasserburg Medieval Festival......
Leica M 240 1/250sec f9,5 400 ISO

I will post some more on Flickr soon. I can work with the Rangefinder only if the items are not moving fast. I tried with some other stuff (knights fighting, not a single sharp one) - and failed miserably. For me complete miss. And if the Sun is bright, the electronic focus indication with live view is nearly not visible - so double fail.

V

Vivek

The knives indicate some chopping. Hope there was not much blood. :ROTFL:

Stefan, With a 35mm lens, you can shoot with your eyes closed. Just look at the hyperfocal markings.

Stefan Steib

Hi Vivek

35mm Hyperfocal, maybe, but then my head could have been chopped off,
I wanted some closeups of the knights and that would have been in "Sword" distance.......:eek:

Greetings from underwater Allgäu
No more sun here.....

Stefan

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek

35mm Hyperfocal, maybe, but then my head could have been chopped off,
I wanted some closeups of the knights and that would have been in "Sword" distance.......:eek:

Greetings from underwater Allgäu
No more sun here.....

Stefan
Hi Stefan, I would use the M to defend. :ROTFL:

Looks like you needed that EVF. :)

Stefan Steib

Here is the last test I did - Leica M 240 with different Macro lenses via Adapters. The One down here is the Mamiya M645 80mm Macro at F16 scale 1:2 - will post these Images later to Flickr in 3000 px.

In short- this is about the best camera for everything - with the only exception of things that move fast...... :)
I mean : maybe Leica did not fully understand the task ? Maybe I do not understand the rangefinder , But I think - things have changed.
As soon as you have some time and a tripod this camera beats anything I have seen with a 24x36 chip and probably also most of the smaller medium format backs. But as soon as things move fast, it´s pretty useless to my opinion.

Last edited: