The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need help/advice on Screw Mount Adapters...

animefx

Hey guys. A friend of mine has a Canon Serenar 100mm f/4 lens that she is going to let me have. It's a pretty obscure lens and I believe it is a screw mount lens?

Anyway, I would like to be able to use it on my Leica M8 and my Leica M 240 (If mine ever ships). I read up on Leica screw mount adapters and I can't really wrap my head around it, there are too many choices and varations. Will I need 2 different screw mount adapters for the M8 and M 240? Since the M8 is 1.33x crop the effective focal length of the lens will be around 133mm which I realize the M8 doesn't have framelines for. With the M 240 I would just use the EVF or LCD + Live View.

If someone can recomend a screw mount adapter that would he appropriate for this lens with the M8 and M 240 I would appreciate it. I would be willing to buy 2 of them if needed.

jlm

Workshop Member
the camera side of your adapter has to have the Leica M bayonet to fit M8,9, monochrome and 240. those cameras also use lens coding (optional) which requires black and white marks on the flanges as well as the correct frameline stop (part of the M bayonet detail). there are 3 frameline options and they allow the correct framelines in the viewfinder as well as enable the correct code (I'm not personally certain about the M240, but it is backward compatible) The best way to mark the flanges is if they have machined recesses and you fill them with the appropriate black and white (nail polish)

Leica also made a L39 threaded mount series of lenses, and adapters between L-39 and M are available, allowing the lenses to mount and achieving the proper distance to the image plane. I make new L to M adapters with the recesses for coding and the correct frameline stops

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
the camera side of your adapter has to have the Leica M bayonet to fit M8,9, monochrome and 240. those cameras also use lens coding (optional) which requires black and white marks on the flanges as well as the correct frameline stop (part of the M bayonet detail). there are 3 frameline options and they allow the correct framelines in the viewfinder as well as enable the correct code (I'm not personally certain about the M240, but it is backward compatible) The best way to mark the flanges is if they have machined recesses and you fill them with the appropriate black and white (nail polish)

Leica also made a L39 threaded mount series of lenses, and adapters between L-39 and M are available, allowing the lenses to mount and achieving the proper distance to the image plane. I make new L to M adapters with the recesses for coding and the correct frameline stops
I use this one (that John Milich (jlm) makes) on my M9, and am very happy with it. It is really nice to be able to code the lens and let the camera detect the focal length.