The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OEM or aftermarket M8/9 batteries?

gogopix

Subscriber
well, I have 2 like the top batteries...and they came from LEICA. One a battery with a factory rehal M9 and the 2nd in a brand new in a box from Leica, extra battery

It is curious though. The lower ones look like the older M8 and M9 batteries (the ones that now seem not to hold charge that well.

anyone else have info?

Regards
Victor

V

Vivek

I have one that is like the top and came with the MM. I have spares bought locally with warranty which are a bit different. It is 14464/BP-SCL1 (1860mAh)

All genuine. All made in China. Only the 14464/BP-SCL1 states that it is made in China, in Russian! This also has clear indications of + and -.

Current M-Es sold here come with 14464/BP-SCL1.

VINCET

I agree with Victor. The top one are the later one from the M9 era. The bottom one are from the M8. At least, that was from my experience too.

D&A

Thanks all. Tony at Popflash has also indicated that they are all OEM.
That's exactly what I was going to post last night but first wanted to check my original OEM batteries from my M8 and M9. The top ones were of course the orginal OEM's from the M8 and somewhere along the way I believe during the production run of the M9, they changed to the style of the pair at the bottom.

Dave (D&A)

weinschela

Subscriber Member
That's exactly what I was going to post last night but first wanted to check my original OEM batteries from my M8 and M9. The top ones were of course the orginal OEM's from the M8 and somewhere along the way I believe during the production run of the M9, they changed to the style of the pair at the bottom.

Dave (D&A)
This is my take also, having carried over at least one battery from M8 to M9 but I just don't remember which was which re the label. Having just sold my M9 with three batteries, I am sure they were all OEM but I am not sure how they were labeled. Perhaps someone who has bought an aftermarket non-Leica battery can post a picture. p.s. A quick look on ebay showed aftermarket batteries with very different lettering:

250swb

If all the batteries show the correct charge in your M9 they are all OEM, it is as simple as that.

Non-OEM batteries will work in the M8, but for the correct charge to show in the M9 they have to be fully discharged before re-charging them, and this tends not to happen under normal circumstances. You can get the situation that the fully charged non-OEM battery is showing as empty, and the camera warns you, but press 'Set' each time and eventually the camera re-calibrates the charge level and it becomes semi-accurate again, until next time you charge the battery. So it tends to be obvious when a non-OEM battery is used in the M9.

Steve

MCTuomey

If all the batteries show the correct charge in your M9 they are all OEM, it is as simple as that.

Non-OEM batteries will work in the M8, but for the correct charge to show in the M9 they have to be fully discharged before re-charging them, and this tends not to happen under normal circumstances. You can get the situation that the fully charged non-OEM battery is showing as empty, and the camera warns you, but press 'Set' each time and eventually the camera re-calibrates the charge level and it becomes semi-accurate again, until next time you charge the battery. So it tends to be obvious when a non-OEM battery is used in the M9.

Steve
I've found that this situation with non-OEM battery use in my M9 not to persist. Gradually, over maybe a dozen or more charge cycles, the non-OEM begins to register properly in use and I don't get the "low batt" warning any longer.

thrice

I used some non-OEM for about 6 months and they still didn't properly report battery capacity unless drained fully before recharging. This is a smart circuitry issue, not something the battery can learn over time.