The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

better Leica lens caps

gooomz

My leica lens cap for my 50mm cron comes off so easily all the time.

is there a better lens cap out there or not really?

thanks a lot.

250swb

A UV or protective filter is a better lens cap, which means you can leave the plastic one at home.

Steve

vickko

Is it the steel or plastic 39mm slip-on cap? They are a pain, more cosmetic than useful. And if you have a filter on the lens, it comes off even easier.

A 39mm snap cap is better. The snap cap will grab the filter threads and stay on.

Good luck

gooomz

is the Leica 39mm snap cap the best cap option?

they still come off pretty easy.

any 3rd party caps that stay on better?

Kokoshawnuff

Cheap third party caps are faultless, never fall off and only cost $2. I have them in many sizes, so the $30 Leica caps stay in the boxes.

ced

Anything beats the fiddly Zeis caps...
Maybe if you add some foam tape or velvet to a steel cap inside it might grip better.
Yes a filter and shade might serve you better and then chuck the cap in the (bin) box.

olaf

Hi Goomz
I have a similar loose lens cap issue with my 24mm Summilux. A kind soul on this forum suggested S K Grimes, a photo engineering company in the US. By a freak coincidence, even though I live in London, I found myself driving through their town of Woonsocket, RI, about 4 weeks ago. So I called in and spoke with Adam. They have a great set up and will customise almost anything you want.
They are making me a metal cap for the 24mm now at, what I think is a reasonable cost of $65. If you run out of options, you might want to try them. Good luck.

chadlanc

You could have duclos lenses add a front ring to make all your lenses a universal front size. They then use an arri cap that's pretty good. That's what us cinema guys do.