The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Liveveiw

gooomz

For those that used Liveveiw, how useful really is LV?

On paper seems to be awesome as perfect focus and be achieved and composition can be enhanced but at the end of the day is the Leica optical veiwfinder still king?

BANKER1

The M is my first experience in the RF arena. So far, I haven't used liveview. I did buy the EVF2 electronic viewfinder. It is very handy for composition, but I find the optical viewfinder more useful of the two for fine focusing. The focus peaking in the EVF2 is useful, but for exact focusing, the optical viewfinder seems to give me the best results. I find myself using the EFV2 and then switching to the optical viewfinder for final focus. It sounds a little cumbersome, but it really isn't.

Greg

jaknight

I predominantly use the 240 in the same way as I use my other Ms.
I have the EVF2, and find this useful whilst traveling and using a range of wide angle lenses (it is lighter, less bulky, more flexible, and cheaper than my 'frankenfinder' though not as clear, and perhaps not as 'cool' or robust). I am pleased to have this facility (and LV) and hope to start doing more macro work now and especially as I have just acquired a couple of extension rings: a neater solution that will avoid the hassle of the Visio system which I found somewhat off putting and so rarely used. It extends the use and potential of the camera if needed.

jaknight

PS: where LV and the EVF2 will really shine, and one of the very best reasons for it in my view, is that it will extend the use of the M system for those suffering from advancing years, and those who may have difficulty using the classic viewfinder.

It also opens up opportunities for Leica to develop more glass: longer, wider, macro/micro, T/S, attachments to telescopes/binoculars, etc.

BANKER1

I am one of those guys "suffering from advancing years". Ha, ha. And, you are right on target about your conclusions about us.

Greg

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Live view not so much but EVF yes. Very useful for wides. More accurate than any of the optical add-on finders. And really shines with longer lenses and R lenses (I have 35-70 f/4). But mostly I agree that for M lenses the rangefinder is actually quicker and more accurate for focusing. So I see the EVF primarily as a framing tool.

Stefan Steib

I can only encourage anyone to try the LV intensely.
It is the best available LV of all cameras I know, the focus peaking is a godsend and transforms this machine into something that leica may not have thought of - a precise tripod monster for all kind of special work.

greetings from germany
Stefan

KeithL

...transforms this machine into something that leica may not have thought of - a precise tripod monster for all kind of special work.
Which is exactly what piqued my interest last September. Stefan, I hope you're right. Looking forward to trying it for myself.

Stefan Steib

Keith

I think you will not be disappointed. Combine this with one of the best macros and you will probably rival the best available solutions for jewelry. And compared to the price tag the others charge for that kind of stuff/resolution at that scale the Leica will be the budget solution !

Regards
Stefan

MaxKißler

Well, if I had money to burn I'd get the following:

-Leica M
-Cambo X2 Pro
-Rodenstock HR 23mm
-all the requireed accessoires

Combined it'll be an interesting combo for architecture and landscapes. For my taste 23mm is wide enough for a variety of subjects (especially with shifts) and the resolution of the M is plenty for most applications. Imagine shifting and using tilts and swings with that liveview!

Stefan Steib

Max- that won´t work.
even if you would leave off the Cambo X2 the flange focal distance from the back lens of the HR23 (with copal shutter) is only 16,6 mm. The Leica already has 27,8 mm. You would have to stick it into the camera which also will not work as the bajonett is too small. So no movements and/or no infinity.

Regards
Stefan

MaxKißler

Thanks for the explanation Stefan. I already expected that there'd be some sort of issue. So the shortest usable FL would be about 35mm, is that correct?

Stefan Steib

Hi Max

Do you have access to a german Digit! magazine, issue 1/2013 ? In there I have writte a complete table(Page33) of I hope about all available View camera lenses and their back lens distance @ infinity. The first usable one for what you described is the 4/60mm Digaron S with 40,3mm (but still not with the cambo) next would be 5,6/70mm HR Digaron W with 49,1mm. really usable with the M and a Cambo X2 would probably be a 5,6/90 HR Digaron W with 66,7mm and then the 4/100mm HR Digaron S with 77,7mm. I deducted all these values which are normally not listed in the specs from the avilable other flange and barrel data.

regards
Stefan