The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trouble with Leica Flagship Summicron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Gentlemen,
Enough of the bicker.
Don't make it personal or I will be forced to hand out infractions all around.
Please refer to the forum rules.
The tone of a polite dinner conversation is strongly preferred.
thanks
-bob

jonoslack

Gentlemen,
Enough of the bicker.
Don't make it personal or I will be forced to hand out infractions all around.
Please refer to the forum rules.
The tone of a polite dinner conversation is strongly preferred.
thanks
-bob
We obviously don't go to the same dinner parties Bob! :chug: :ROTFL::talk028::poke:

Taylor Sherman

Ah, I've never used the 21SEM on a Sony sensor but given then number of layers with air-gaps in their sensor package I am not too surprised that you are seeing ghosts. Are you using a UV filter for those shots?

Have a look here all taken with the 21 SEM on M240. A few have bright light sources and I see no ghosts. I will try and do a controlled test for you.
Rayguns! This is with my (new) Summicron 28 on the Nex-7. I think it's probably the sensor toppings. Ah, I should try with the Nex 5N/6 next time and see if they're better, as I believe they have thinner (or at least different) toppings.

DSC05525.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

algrove

I like mine and I have yet to get flare. Guess I don't know how to use a camera.:deadhorse::angel::chug:

V

Vivek

Rayguns! This is with my (new) Summicron 28 on the Nex-7. I think it's probably the sensor toppings. Ah, I should try with the Nex 5N/6 next time and see if they're better, as I believe they have thinner (or at least different) toppings.
I think (speculate) that the thickness does not matter.

Leica sensor cover glass is double side coated besides being thin. None of theNEX' have that and the cover glass is uncoated on both the sides. This does 2 things: 1. Minimize aberrations projected onto the sensor. 2. Maximum transmission.

Rather a simple thing to do but no one other than Leica (AFAIK) do this. One possible exception to this general statement could be Fuji X series cams. Even if Fujihas that, none of their sensors sport any offset microlenses. The closest you have to a Leica is a Ricoh GXR M mount.

Double Negative

Not Available
Leica has responded, they did find issues, and are taking actions to resolve.

This may apply to some... ;)

Eating crow is an American colloquial idiom, meaning humiliation by admitting wrongness or having been proved wrong after taking a strong position.

thrice

Interesting, I haven't heard anything...
Do you have a link to the response or press release double negative?

Double Negative

Not Available
The response is in the original post (paraphrased) from my email exchanges with them (see third and latest update). I don't want to name names, but trust me - it's from high up. I'm hoping to get additional details, but it's tough right now as everyone's on vacation.

V

Vivek

Here is the story:

A non issue made out to be something significant and now the " case" is closed.

My issue is that I can not find a suitable emoticon to add to this post!

250swb

The power of the press, tell a story and apologise later, never known to fail because people remember the headlines. This lens will still be 'prone to flare' in many years to come now, whatever Leica do or say.

Steve

Double Negative

Not Available
No, I will not quote a private email, and Leica surely won't say anything "official." The fact is, there ARE lenses out there with issues and I've confirmed that with Leica and have been discussing it with them for a while now. If your lens is affected, contact them directly... They're expecting you.

I shared this info because I thought some might be interested. But instead, I get endless crap for it. So gents, you're on your own from now on. C'ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.