The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trouble with Leica Flagship Summicron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

250swb

Problem is Leica did not say anything officially so far.
Why would they if it is limited to a few, maybe a couple, of poorly built lenses? To announce anything will automatically suggest the problem is bigger than it is, which is fuel to the flames as far as Digiloyd with his axe to grind is concerned. Why would a person, or company, want to open themselves to being used to pedal his bias? I mean, if Nikon built a few bad lenses, but the overall production run was going well, would they make a big announcement out of it? Of course they wouldn't, so why expect it from Leica?

This conspiracy theory with secret emails and a mole in the heart of Leica is pure bollocks, a fantasy. No real journalist would even open up the possibility of suggesting they had a secret source of information as a teaser, because the source would know what a big gob they are dealing with.

Steve

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Most companies will not confirm problems with products unless there is a safety issue or overwhelming evidence of a problem. They would prefer to deal with individual customer service claims .

I can go back to the M8 and I ve had a dozen or more problems that I ve confirmed with Leica that were never published .

My situations were not "rumors " I stood right there in Leica s service department and ran the tests myself . But I am sure Leica would not ever want to "confirm " anything . I can also tell you that I ve encountered issues that Leica knew nothing about and later confirmed .

Now in this case Diglloyd ran tests and showed his work . Believe it or not .....he does good work . Doesn t mean that he is flawless or that he isn t prone to overstatements or even conclusions that may not be generally relevant to most photographers . But those are obvious when you read the details of his tests .

It is useful to discuss issues like this ..without the "prove it " stuff . If you own an APO 50 ..its good to know that this issue has been seen in some lenses and if Dave says Leica has a fix ...why wouldn t you want to know that ?

I fully expect that I will never notice this issue with my lens ..I am really not even interested in testing for it . But thats not always the case .

Personally I would like to stop the "nonsense" of challenging any discussion of issues with Leica gear and the (what I consider) blatant challenges to the OP integrity .

We get it that Dave wanted a lively discussion ..got something to add ?

LCT

If you own an APO 50 ..its good to know that this issue has been seen in some lenses and if Dave says Leica has a fix ...why wouldn t you want to know that ?
And if you don't own the lens how to be sure that CVF can be fixed if Leica don't tell it? By claiming what Dave said?

LCT

Replace "lens" by "car" and "central veiling flare" by "braking problem". Would you order the car if the manufacturer doesn't communicate? I don't know for you but it is a problem for me and true false rumors or little insults won't change that.

Paratom

If I was planning to get one of those lenses I would ask Leica before about this possible problem.
so far Leica has allways solved any of mY problems when something came up (mostbtimes calibration but in one case they even replaced one of my lenses with a new one because there was something wrong with it)
the other thing is that imo many focus too much on finding issues and forget about the good sides of a product. Imo Loyds review site is a good example for this. Personally I give much more to hear experience from people who use equipment for a longer time in real world instead ofnthose shootinh gear for 2 days, takinh 20 images and drawing conclutions.
in case of the 50 apo I can fully understand that people expect it to be near perfect in all aspects.
I also understand that a company will not comment every problem which occurs with some samples of a product.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Mine exceeds all of my expectations, including expectations on flare. Scenes with high internal contrast render beautifully crisply. If I put the sun in the frame it looks crappy. But that's also the case if I don't focus, overexpose by 3 stops or leave the lens cap on. Odd looking at people's mistakes and blaming the lens.

Just an opinion.

V

Vivek

Mine exceeds all of my expectations, including expectations on flare. Scenes with high internal contrast render beautifully crisply. If I put the sun in the frame it looks crappy. But that's also the case if I don't focus, overexpose by 3 stops or leave the lens cap on. Odd looking at people's mistakes and blaming the lens.

Just an opinion.

Good points! I wonder if those who produced the flare and hotspots used the hood..

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Just an opinion.

Have you read Diglloyd s detailed test ? It may not be relevant to your photography but its hardly a mistake . $50-100 a year compared to $7200 for a 50 APO ?

I guess it shouldn t be surprising to me .....but so many of these posts challenge the validity of the tests . DL puts a ton of effort into his tests ..far more than anyone on this forum has demonstrated . Unless an individual photographer has made a deliberate attempt to test ..in this case of veiling flare ...all you can conclude is that its not a problem for their photography or their lens simply did not demonstrate the problem.

I don t think this will be a issue for me as I rarely shoot into flare inducing light with any of my lenses . I know DL has a bone to pick with Leica s claims to be producing perfection . But he provides the illustrations and lots of them ...to allow the reader to draw their own conclusions .

And the OP has confirmed that in fact Leica has found the problem in some lenses and is repairing them when a customer sends them in . Yet so many posts seem to challenge his integrity . This is good information to have if you own the lens ......why badger him endlessly .

Seems like a good "heads up " to check your 50 APO for this possibility ...something I plan to do with my lens . :facesmack:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Lens designers have a number of tools to combat veiling flare.
Besides coatings, two major techniques are internal lens baffling or anti-reflective treatment and another is to paint the edges of each element black.
It is not hard to imagine that the edge treatment might have been missed or defective. I have seen this before from two different manufacturers.
But it is there business to deliver a product liked by enough folks who are willing to pay the price to make it profitable, and I am sure they are motivated to investigate the claims. I seriously doubt that there will be a grand announcement of "we found the glitch".
-bob

V

Vivek

Have you read Diglloyd s detailed test ? It may not be relevant to your photography but its hardly a mistake . $50-100 a year compared to $7200 for a 50 APO ?

I guess it shouldn t be surprising to me .....but so many of these posts challenge the validity of the tests . DL puts a ton of effort into his tests ..far more than anyone on this forum has demonstrated . Unless an individual photographer has made a deliberate attempt to test ..in this case of veiling flare ...all you can conclude is that its not a problem for their photography or their lens simply did not demonstrate the problem.

I don t think this will be a issue for me as I rarely shoot into flare inducing light with any of my lenses . I know DL has a bone to pick with Leica s claims to be producing perfection . But he provides the illustrations and lots of them ...to allow the reader to draw their own conclusions .

And the OP has confirmed that in fact Leica has found the problem in some lenses and is repairing them when a customer sends them in . Yet so many posts seem to challenge his integrity . This is good information to have if you own the lens ......why badger him endlessly .

Seems like a good "heads up " to check your 50 APO for this possibility ...something I plan to do with my lens . :facesmack:
Hi Roger,

Since the site you quote is out of reach for me since I refuse to pay for such, I do not have full knowledge of the entire story.

Let me ask you to check the very same site if any similar problems had been reported for Coastal Optics 60/4. If the answer is no then whatever claim you make about that tester is groundless.

I (and many others) would rather believe Leica than some pay site which also said that the MM was a crap product. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.