The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica and RadioPopper (off camera flash)

segedi

I have a Monochrom and the Radiopopper JrX system. Unfortunately, the transmitter can't fit on the hotshoe. The antenna sticks down and it only works on SLRs that give it clearance to fit properly.

I'd still like to use the system but have some questions on off-camera cables. Would a simple Nikon off-camera flash cable work?

MCTuomey

The contax version works too (it directs the cord to the left not the front of the camera), but doesn't support ttl.

segedi

I have a Canon version and am going to give that a try tomorrow. If that fails, Nikon-style it is.

thrice

The Canon one should work for firing as well, the radio popper doesn't transmit TTL does it? AFAIK no radio remotes transfer TTL for Leica.

segedi

I don't think the RP does TTL, but that's OK. I'm comfortable setting it up in manual mode and it seems to work better for my purposes anyway. I can usually guess within a stop and then take a couple of test shots to make sure it's where I want it.

As an aside, the newer RP Nano transmitter doesn't have the problem mounting on the Leica, but before I sprang for $70 + shipping, I figure I'd try out the cheaper cables with my existing transmitter. Need to do some portraits and settled on the Monochrom instead of the Canon DSLR to do them. Will post some results when I have 'em.

segedi

Just a followup...
Canon's OC-E3 cable works like a charm. It sits funny on the Leica hotshoe - there are two pins that hang off the edge slightly, but the center pin connects where it should.

I'll probably affix the other end of the cable that holds the transmitter to the bottom of the camera via the tripod socket. The cable end also has a threaded socket so affixing should be fairly easy.

Once I get some portraits shot with this setup, I'll post some results.