The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens advice for mixed M8/35mm outfit or upgrade to M9

NB23

You wouldn't be able to distinguish the prints I make, with the equipment and materials I choose, and the workflow and techniques I use. And, for me, the M8.2 gets me there more easily

So just to be clear: You are actually saying that the M8.2 is the camera that allows you to create images that are the most indistinguishable from all the rest, in the most easy way.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say except that you are trying very hard to tell me that the M8.2 is fabulous but I'm not sure why exactly, other then that it makes files indistinguishable from other cameras. This is extremely confusing to me. But it's ok, it's your money and your time.

asiafish

He's saying that for the look he likes, with the workflow he uses, the M8.2 is the easiest starting point.

Pretty clear.

jtwloh

Asiafish, it is refreshing to hear you enjoy shooting M8.2 still. I used to have one myself paired with a 35 summarit, giving a close to 50 FOV. But have since sold the M8.2 while still keeping the lens. If I were to start all over again with a 8.2, I would go for a 25mm Zeiss & another 50mm. So this combo will give a 35mm format equivalent of 33mm & 65mm.

33mm would be for general shooting and I foresee would be most used focal range. While 65mm would be more for portrait - my nephews & nieces.

For some, 65mm for portrait may not be long enough, however, I find shooting anything longer than a 50mm on the M8.2 is going to be straining to my eyes.

Just my personal preference & shooting style.

asiafish

Sadly I sent my 90 Tele Elmarit to Sherry for CLA before I got the M8.2, but find 50 a nice portrait length on the crop sensor.

I love the 35 Summarit on the M8.2 as well, and am waiting on delivery of my 28 Elmarit, which isn't quite a true 35mm fov, has a nicer (to my 45-year-old eyes) frame line than a 24 (or 25) would. The 24 frame line just doesn't give me much view outside the frame, which is a large part of why I moved to a rangefinder. Somehow I expect to sell the 90 and get a 75 Summarit. Not crazy about the bokeh from my 50 Cron, so looking to sell that for a 50 with better bokeh. I've been impressed with the Sonnar and the Jupiter 3 clones, so may go that route instead of Leica for my 50.

jtwloh

Only reservation I gathered from those who shoot with the 50 Sonnar is the focus shift. Not sure how that will affect you, unless you constantly shoot at whatever aperture that particular piece was optimised for. Alternatively, there is also the new Nokton 50 1.5.

But having said that, the lens collection that you already have will provide ample enjoyment to your current shooting.

asiafish

Definitely no gaps in my enjoyment with current collection. I am something of a bokeh fiend though, and the Jupiter 3 and the Nokton 1.5 (old AND new) look good, as does the Summarit.

Birthday and 20th anniversary are coming up, and I really don't want or need another watch.

+1 for the 28 elmarit, +1 for the IR suggestion. I think the 28 is a no brainer given what you've said you mostly shoot. The 28 cron is also lovely.

asiafish

The 28 Cron would be nice, but I'd rather have the small size and light weight than the extra stop.

My Elmarit should arrive next week, and I got a good enough price that if I don't like it, it will be easy to resell and try another 28 (or 24). Thats what I love about buying used with Leica resale values; its easy to just buy and then either keep or resell depending on characteristics. With rentals I always feel pressured to do as much testing as possible when I would rather just take my time and decide if a given lens is really for me.

So far the Summarit 35 was probably my best purchase. I just love the way the lens renders. It is sharp and punchy like a modern lens, but has a very gentle transition to out-of-focus and smooth bokeh. It is so good that I often take it out as my only lens with no regrets except that I can't use all of it.

Taylor Sherman

I actually just traded up to the 28 Cron from the Elmarit. It is bigger, but still in the range of "small enough that I don't care" (this is on the Nex-7). It's about the same size as the 21 Super-Elmar, actually, except the hood is bigger and clunkier. They really should refresh the 28/2 and give it the same hood mechanism as the 21SE and the 35 FLE have, they are great. (that is one other thing going for the Elmarit, better hood and cap).

From what I can tell, and looking at the MTF charts, the rendering of the Cron and Elmarit are nearly identical (at matching apertures).

The Summarits are relative bargains. Results with those look great from what I've seen.

asiafish

I actually just traded up to the 28 Cron from the Elmarit. It is bigger, but still in the range of "small enough that I don't care" (this is on the Nex-7). It's about the same size as the 21 Super-Elmar, actually, except the hood is bigger and clunkier. They really should refresh the 28/2 and give it the same hood mechanism as the 21SE and the 35 FLE have, they are great. (that is one other thing going for the Elmarit, better hood and cap).

From what I can tell, and looking at the MTF charts, the rendering of the Cron and Elmarit are nearly identical (at matching apertures).

The Summarits are relative bargains. Results with those look great from what I've seen.
I wish there was a Summarit 28. I love the 35 and just bought the 75.