The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

step from M9 to M type240 - your experience?

Paratom

Now that more and more people have used the new M for some time I would like to ask how you feel about the switch.
-was it worth it (for you)?
-which are most important improvements (for you)
-do you like the files as much as the M9files (or better)?

Last edited:

MirekE

Yes, it was, but I am not a typical rangefinder user and possibly appreciate the improvements in electronics more than many Leica aficionados.

- Better review (faster, better quality)
- Better focusing (LV, better rangefinder)
- Better battery life (if they fix the battery drain problem)
- More responsive (if they fix the SD card startup lag issue)

I think the M images look more natural. And the camera is more forgiving (more highlight detail, easier to get reasonable color in bad mixed light, you can crank up the ISO...)

algrove

Now that more and more people have used the new M for some time I would like to ask how you feel about the switch.
1.Oh yes.
2. shutter sound, LV, buffer, R lenses, bigger LCD, red frame lines for me, etc
3.better files, easy to PP

jonoslack

HI Tom
Good Things:
shutter noise
LCD
more responsive
Image quality
Build quality
Ergonomics
weather sealing
battery life
better rangefinder accuracy

Worse things
0.6mm fatter

I like the files much better (especially in low light) - there is a WB tweak needed, but it'll come soon.

Certainly worth it.

All the best

Paratom

HI Tom
Good Things:
shutter noise
LCD
more responsive
Image quality
Build quality
Ergonomics
weather sealing
battery life
better rangefinder accuracy

Worse things
0.6mm fatter

I like the files much better (especially in low light) - there is a WB tweak needed, but it'll come soon.

Certainly worth it.

All the best
Thanks Jono,

I allways thought I don't need life view, but on the other side being able to use the display for certain situations (and perspectives) wouldn't hurt.
Kind Regards, Tom

Jeff S

I allways thought I don't need life view, but on the other side being able to use the display for certain situations (and perspectives) wouldn't hurt.
Even if one never uses live view for making pics, it's useful to determine if there is an issue with camera/lens focus calibration.

Jeff

jonoslack

Thanks Jono,

Kind Regards, Tom
HI There Tom
Well, you'll notice that I didn't Live View at all in my pros or my cons. I use it sometimes, and as Jeff says it's useful for checking lens calibration. But to me the M is well worth the upgrade without Live view or video or the EVF (just me)

Great with the Macro R lenses - and also a fine replacement for the Frankenfinder which I always left at home (especially with the WATE)!

monza

The 5mm difference in depth surprised me when in the hand...doesn't sound like much, but that ends up being 14% 'fatter' (not to mention 16% heavier)

Of course my usual M is an M4, so the difference is even more pronounced

:)

Last edited:

jonoslack

The 5mm difference in depth surprised me when in the hand...doesn't sound like much, but that ends up being 14% 'fatter' (not to mention 16% heavier)

HI There Robert
It's not 5mm . . . it's 0.6mm (compare the base plates) - the other 4.4mm is made up with the thumbgrip.

On the other hand I agree that it's noticeable and undesirable. Always amazes me how many people complain about the thickness . . . . . and then put on a half case! :confused:

monza

Really? I don't have it here to compare baseplates (and don't have an M9 baseplate either!)

Oddly the M9 looks like the fatter one here!

MirekE

The camera is not that much fatter, it is the protruding thumb rest, that makes most of the difference. Actually, I think they did a great job keeping the size almost the same with larger LCD, twice as big battery, new buttons and scrollers, microphone etc...

Yes, it is heavier, but I can hold it more comfortably than M9 due to slightly more ergonomic design.

Mike Woods

Hi

I've only had mine a week, but for what it's worth:

Yes, despite taking a hit on the sale of a year old M9-P. I deliberately wanted to be an early adopter, having been late to the party on both the M8 and M9

Shutter is beautiful!
Live view and EVF (I have an OMD) and the two complement each other very well
Battery life
LCD
Weather sealing
Rangefinder (not sure what they have done but it is better)
'Feels' a more refined product, although that's very subjective of course

Not a pixel peeper so I'm not seeing a huge difference - they look lovely :)

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Mike

JWW

I've had mine since June and had some time to play and adjust the files using C1 and Lightroom. I recently sold my M9P but had to answer the same questions to myself before selling. Here's my take:

1. Shutter sound and feel are so good that going back and using the M9P was jarring.
2. Same with size and resolution of the LCD screen.
3. The new lit framelines are nice and consistent no matter the outside lighting.
4. Very nice to be able to use the R 80-200 f4 on occasion. This lens compliments my 90mm and under M lens collection.
5. Same with macro using some Nikon mount lenses I had lying around.
6. While I had the M9P, since I like the look of those files, I adjusted the preset on the M files in C1 pro7 to more closely resemble the M9. Compared to what I use for the M9P, my M setting uses a higher level sharpening, higher contrast setting, and some clarity boost. Files are nicely flexible.
7. Of course, higher ISO is a nice capability.
8. I didn't notice in practice any weight or thickness difference.
9. I have read other's comments on the RF difference but I could not tell any difference focussing with my M9P or M. Both worked fine equally.
10. Hated selling my chrome M9P- what a beautiful camera!

Paratom

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Mike
Yes, thanks Mike. I am afraid I just cant resist, even though I never really missed anything in the M9 I am sure I will like the improvement. Specially silent shutter, faster speed and better LCD.

Hosermage

10. Hated selling my chrome M9P- what a beautiful camera!
This may be a reason why I'm trying really hard to ignore the new M... I can't really justify keeping both except the need for a second body, but the emotional attachment to the old M9 will be hard to sever. :loco:

algrove

hosermage

I felt the same way. Then I decided to get the M while keeping my M9P. Since I have had my M, I have not used the M9P and never felt the need to use it since getting the M and as such will sell it now

ashwinrao1

Love my M9P, and even more so the MM. I Hope to have an M someday, once the kinks are worked out, but it may be a long time to get on a list and wait....a year at this point, so maybe an M240P ....I would like to see a WB, color tweak....

CharlesK

Two weeks ago, I had my chrome M9P, M-M and a RXR1. I thought the RX1R would fill in the gaps for low light where the M9P could not, and I had not intention of updating to a M240 for another 12 months.

Then on a Friday evening, Saul from Camera Electronic, Perth, rang and said he had a black M240 finally in stock for me. I had the weekend to make a decision. Reluctantly I put my chrome M9P on ebay, and it sold over the weekend!! This did make my decision a lot easier, and yes on Tuesday I had the M240.

The ergonomics of the M240 are great, 3" screen, and the RF accuracy is amazing. Every one of my lenses had been calibrated, and I still had some niggling issues with RF accuracy on the M9P/M-M. With the M240 straight out of the box, every lens is perfectly aligned with the M240 RF calibration, but more importantly, I am finding it so much easier to focus accurately and consistently, particularly with the 50 Noct f/1.0, 75 Lux and 90 Cron AA.

I was never a fan of LV, but with WA's I am really enjoying the LV for getting the framing and perspective right with my 21 SEM and 24 Lux, without having to resort to an external VF. It really does make a difference. Previously, I had many shots where the horizon, or missed framing was not right, but had to correct in PP'ing.

The DNG files from the M240 are very rich in colour and tonality. Even the B&W conversions are great too, almost obligating the need for the M-M:) There are definite WB issues, but so did the M9 when was first introduced, and there should be a FW coming soon to address this.