The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Happy Birthday M8 1 year ago Today

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well it is exactly for me one year ago today i got my first M8. So a Happy birthday image to celebrate it .

I shot this in Germany with the WATE at ISO 640 for actually Al Tanabe's Birthday lunch

Guy Mancuso

Here is another victim of my first moments with a Noctilux . Mark Gowin another fine member here. Trying a 50 lux out , he bought one. I think we spent more money on buying glass on this tour than shooting it. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Oh hell let's embarrass Christian Erhardt from Leica NJ too. i was having a little fun with this lens. I stopped this down to F4.

Somehow someone got my camera and got me too.

atanabe

Guy,
That was a great trip arranged by Leica and Porsche. It was my first birthday cake from a five star restaurant. I would recommend to all forum members to trek to Solms once in their life and experience the Leica Akademie as well as the birthplace of 35mm photography.

-Al

Terry

It was a magenta shirt. ROTFLMAO
I looked at the shirt and thought to myself....was that the right color? and then saw this post....so I am now the one ROTFLMAO....also while I was at it decided to add a picture (avatar) which is a bit on the wild side for me. I see it only took Jack a day to go back to his LUF picture which I always liked.

terry

Terry

By the way. I love the encouragement for posting pictures. That is the part about LUF I just don't understand. Going to Morocco in two weeks so when I come back I hope to have something worthwhile to post.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
By the way. I love the encouragement for posting pictures. That is the part about LUF I just don't understand. Going to Morocco in two weeks so when I come back I hope to have something worthwhile to post.
Can't wait to see those! Morocco is on my short list, never been there but definitely want to go. Any special itinerary?

One of the main considerations for this site was posting images inside the discussions. Seemed like a pretty basic concept for a photography forum... We asked our workshop members if they wanted it and they said "yes." So after being turned down elsewhere, we agreed to build one and here we are... Hopefully it works out for us all!

Guy Mancuso

Well Terry it is a PHOTOGRAPHY forum you would think images are what should be shown. I don't understand either and 1 more reason for this place among others. The workshops needed a web site and this is a bonus.

Love to see the Morocco shots when you get back

Terry

Can't wait to see those! Morocco is on my short list, never been there but definitely want to go. Any special itinerary?

One of the main considerations for this site was posting images inside the discussions. Seemed like a pretty basic concept for a photography forum...
We are going for a quick trip (easy from NY). Staying up in the High Atlas mountains for one night and then to Marrakech for the next three nights. I'm sure if this short trip is a good one I will go back to explore more of the country.

I've been agonizing over what to take with me...hence my lens question earlier in the week. Thought I had it figured out but I might be suffering Guy's disease of lens purchases. CV15 (definite), was going to take the CV21 but it is f4 and I was nervous that I would want something faster. My next up is the CV28 f3.5 which doesn't solve the problem, so the new lens would be the 28mm Ultron. The tradeoff is the huge size difference in these two 28's. If I take 28 then CV35 stays home. As I get longer I have a 50 'cron, CV75 f2.5, 90 Elmar macro and will take one of these three.

so it may be 15, 28, 75

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Now I understand your dilemma... Paring down to three is tough. Since the 15 is a must for you, I would probably go 15, 28, 50 since each focal almost doubles the one before it. But then I use the 28 and 50 for about 80% of all my shots. If it were me, I'd probably take 5 lenses: 12, 21, 28, 50 and a small 90 just in case. If I absolutely had to get that down to 3, the 90 would go first and then I'd debate for days between the 12 or 21, so the 15 is probably a great compromise.

In the end, I think the "secret" to enjoyable travel photography is to find images that work for the lens you have on the camera and not the other way around.

:)

Terry

Now I understand your dilemma... Paring down to three is tough. Since the 15 is a must for you, I would probably go 15, 28, 50 since each focal almost doubles the one before it. But then I use the 28 and 50 for about 80% of all my shots. If it were me, I'd probably take 5 lenses: 12, 21, 28, 50 and small 90 just in case. If I absolutely had to get that down to 3, the 90 would go first and then I'd debate for days between the 12 or 21, so the 15 is probably a great compromise at that end.

:)
Was trying to keep lens changes and fumbling in my bag to a minimum. Don't have the 12 so that was why the 15 was a definite. Do you agree then on buying the fast 28?

OK so now 15, 28, 50, and then at the last moment I will panic and throw in the 90!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Was trying to keep lens changes and fumbling in my bag to a minimum. Don't have the 12 so that was why the 15 was a definite. Do you agree then on buying the fast 28?

OK so now 15, 28, 50, and then at the last moment I will panic and throw in the 90!
I think your overall choice is sound, and I'm not convinced you need a faster 28 unless you absolutely know you want to shoot in very low light with it --- your 50 is an f2 Cron, right? I'd just go with what you already have and use the Cron in low light. I'd probably be willing to suffer the extra noise in ISO 1250 over the added weight of the Ultron and the ability to use 320 for the few times I might want the 28 in low light... (But that's me.)

Tip: I think you get lower noise from the M8 if you shoot at ISO 640 with -1 stop EV and then pump exposure up +1 stop in the raw converter than if you use 1250 directly on the camera. :D

All that said, I hear good things about the 28 Ultron from Jamie, but it is relatively large. We always have that nasty size/speed tradeoff decision for travel lenses...

Guy Mancuso

28 cron it had to be said but that maybe a down payment on a car. It truly is my lens cap. Okay forget that it is too much money. I also have found the 35 cron version IV to be SMALL and very good wide open plus has nice character to it like the 28 cron . Now there a little hard to find and me and my big mouth and others as well , Jack also the price has gone up on them. The only real choice for fast in 28 is 2600 dollar used 28 cron or the Ultron and that is big. Zeiss i believe is 2.8. This is the toughest area because you usually base your system off one or the other as your standard go too lens 28 or 35 and normally for spacing with the 28. Than you system should read like 12,21,28,50 and than the 35 mm It would be for spacing 15,24,35 and than 75.

So my advice is get in your head what lens is your gold standard on the camera at all times than build around that.

The issue is people just go buy a lens they think they need . What really we all should be doing is buying a system, so you need to think in terms like that. get your basic lineup in than fill in the gaps.

Coming from the lens pig that is hard to understand but even i did that right from the get go was get the 28 cron and built around it , now every gap is filled but that is a different story:D

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
That's great advice, Guy, to build around a go-to lens. For most it will probably end up being a 28 or 35 on the M8. For me, it's the 35lux ... and the rest (too many to use at once anyway) ... follow.

Kurt

Guy Mancuso

Terry i found a lens for you on e-bay check your PM. Don't know the person but sounds legit a 35 cron version IV. Fair warning hanging around me can get you in real trouble. ROTFLMAO there like kids to me , love to have them all and they don't talk back. LOL