The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica ME

mmbma

After careful consideration and comparison. I decided this morning to take a pass on both the M9P and the new M, and got myself a Leica ME. Hopefully it'll be a good decision.

My main street shooter is a Monochrom and I've been loving that camera to death. However there have been moments (mainly involving my family) that I really craved color. So a second M body has been in the plans for quite a while. My options were the new M or a used M9P.

I tested the new M and was fortuante to have two offered to me, and I turned them down on both occasions. It is a beautiful camera, with all the improvements in the right places. But for me, I have a strong preference for the CCD look. The M gives out more natural looking files which could be manupilated into the old M9 look but left untouched they look like files coming out of a Sony Rx1. I have no doubt that the files contain more dynamic range (hence the flatter raw image) but I find myself really wanting the M9 look and it is an added step for me in post processing to tweak them. In addition I don't use live view, never had a probelm focusing, don't use non leica lenses, don't care much about LCD screen or shutter, and never take my camera out in the rain anyway... I just couldn't justfiy having both the M and the Mono. and the thought of selling my Mono was just too much.

So I decided to save a few thousand dollars and go for a M9 variant. A M9 would be my most economical choice. I bought and sold one 3 months ago because the body was back focusing. I suspect that many of the M9 cameras on the markets might need a CLA, in addition the sensors/shutter have been in use for a lot longer. Service issues became a concern for me. M9Ps are generally newer, and tended to be better cared for by their owners just because they were more expensive. And they are holding their prices! A mint, chrome M9p was my first choice but I simply couldn't find one at the right price.

Then came the ME. I was first put off by its looks. I thought the blue hue to be quite ugly. Then I saw and tried one in person. The paint is a lot more grey/metallic than it comes off in pictures and it is really quite a sexy camera in person. The color scheme (silver/blue grey/black) really complements both black or chrome lenses. They are almost brand new, having the latest batch of sensors means they don't need to be serviced for years. Most importantly, they can be had for about the same price as used M9s.

Long stroy short. I finally found a ME at the right price this morning and pulled the trigger. I promise myself that I won't buy another piece of leica gear for at least 2 years! Let's see how that holds up.

I kept the M8.2 I picked up last spring for color stuff (in good light) and had it CLA'd by Leica and traded my M9 for the Monochrom. I considered an M9P or ME as well for color but will now hold off until next summer when used M240's start hitting the market--assuming Leica catches up on orders before then!

I won't even think about making a promise like yours though!!! It would be broken before winter!!!

VINCET

Long stroy short. I finally found a ME at the right price this morning and pulled the trigger. I promise myself that I won't buy another piece of leica gear for at least 2 years! Let's see how that holds up.
I bet you will break your promise :)

I'm sure you will enjoy that ME. It is really not that bad looking in real life as in the photo.

250swb

You did the right thing. It will make a great addition to your Monochrom and you now have the benefit of a luxurious relaxed wait until the next 'M' is released, without all the angst about new technology and 'will this work, will that work, why doesn't it work....?' types of questions. And you don't even need to read another 'User Manual'!

Steve

Shashin

I promise myself that I won't buy another piece of leica gear for at least 2 years! Let's see how that holds up.
Did you have any particular years in mind? Do they have to consecutive or can they be concurrent. I am pretty sure I did not buy any Leica gear in my first two years. I will let you claim them if you wish.

mmbma

Haha, no, but I am pretty much set on that promise, until someone whats to sell me a 75mm summilux

Duane Pandorf

I'm a new Leica shooter and bought the ME at the beginning of the year. I've been very happy with my decision as there was no way I was going to see the new M since I never got on any pre-order list. I didn't even think I was ever going to own a Leica digital body until around the end of last December.

I have made one mod to my M-E that I like. I replaced the Red dot with a black one.

chrism

"2 Years"? Best laugh I've had today! Congratulations on your new purchase - I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Chris :)

mmbma

WELL. certainly no thanks to all of you who PMed me with your nice copies of the 75mm summilux! I can't believe you would tempt a sick man like this. Terminal GAS patient

arild

My name is Arild, and I have not bought a piece of Leica gear in ten months and countng. Congrats on the ME!