The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting a Wedding with the Leica M

jonoslack

Not just 'a' wedding.
Our son Silas married Kate last Saturday. They've had a really frightening few months - Scarlett was born 15 weeks early in April, but they've held their nerve and been rewarded by a sunny day and their lovely little girl doing as well as one could have hoped (being born at 25 weeks is not a good idea).
I was not the official photographer (there wasn't one). Which was lovely, I just snapped away with my Leica, mostly with the rigid 50 'cron from 1957.

Seascape

Very nicely done Jono, one gets a flavour of the event by the expressions on everyones faces and their body language......your photos reflect a very joyous event......congratulations.

Just a small technical note, you have talked previously about about your preference for Aperture as a RAW developer, is that what you have used here?
Having just received my M240, I am wondering if Aperture is a good option.

jonoslack

Very nicely done Jono, one gets a flavour of the event by the expressions on everyones faces and their body language......your photos reflect a very joyous event......congratulations.

Just a small technical note, you have talked previously about about your preference for Aperture as a RAW developer, is that what you have used here?
Having just received my M240, I am wondering if Aperture is a good option.
Thank You!
Yes - all done in Aperture - fast, efficient, excellent and effective. But I realise I'm in the minority

Seascape

Thank You!
Yes - all done in Aperture - fast, efficient, excellent and effective. But I realise I'm in the minority
Seems like a good option for my 6 year old iMac, I think Aperture needs less horsepower than LR5.

Thanks for the quick response.

mmbma

a canon would really be more suitable for the occasion IMO... but then you risk getting mistaken for the wedding photographer.

D&A

Congratulations Jono to you and your entire family! Lovely images and a nice mix of both formals and candids. It's these type of photographic memories that transcend all the technical details we usually find ourselves talking about. Nicely done!

Dave (D&A(

jonoslack

a canon would really be more suitable for the occasion IMO... but then you risk getting mistaken for the wedding photographer.
HI There
I couldn't disagree more - I've been the 'wedding photographer' many times (and I guess I was this time, as there wasn't another one) - if you need a big camera to convince people that's really sad.

I've shot them with lots of different cameras, and the M has some limitations, but it's really good for keeping people relaxed - I firmly believe that you get different expressions if you point a big black camera at people, interaction becomes nearly impossible - and it shows.

Just my opinion of course!

All the best

ceh

I think you have succeed to exquisitely capture the atmosphere of the happy moments you are part of at the same time.
Congratulations!

Cenek

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I firmly believe that you get different expressions if you point a big black camera at people, ...
Black Canon?!? Can you get them in black also?? :D

A Leica seems to me to be a perfect tool for the wedding... unless one can get one of them pink Canons :p

--

Congratulations, Jono, and all the best wishes to the happy couple. The photos capture the atmosphere in a perfect way. They almost make me wish I were in England... almost ;)

Paratom

Who is the old guy in #23? ;)
Congratulations and one can feel the atmosphere when looking at the images.

V

Vivek

Nice of you to share the special moments, Jono! :)

All the best to the young family! :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thank you for sharing this wonderful time with your family. Congratulations, too. My favorite shot (so many great shots, it was hard to pick one) was of Emma holding Scarlet in her arm at the "Hens" party.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I learned one thing from this post: "snapping away" is another way of saying": "taking good photographs".;)

Congratulations!

Last edited:

jonoslack

Thanks for the kind words everyone! We had a lot of fun.
I'm already hunting out one of those pink Canons Jorgen.
Actually, I believe they painted an M9 pink at digital rev some time ago!

all the best

Lovely stuff Jono. Congratulations on the joyous occasion and best wishes especially for your granddaughter. By the way, I love the flesh tones and color in this series, and that's the first time I've felt that way about any M files I have seen. (I admit I haven't looked in awhile). Were these corrected for WB in post, shot auto WB, or with a dialed in color temp? thanks.....Peter