The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M240 shutter count

VINCET

will M9info give me the correct shutter actuation of a M 240? Is there any other means to determine the shutter count from wth in the camera? I made 2 shots and checked the exif:ImageUniqueID in Photoshop and got a very weird result. One has a hex value of 48369 and the other one has a value of 1653. Guess they must have changed something in their exif info.

Thanks
Vince

Last edited:

algrove

I hear no from every experienced Leica dealer I have contacted or heard from including Leica Stores too.

VINCET

Algrove, how did you check the shutter count of your camera? Have you tried m9info with your 240 files? It kept hanging on mine

jaapv

Subscriber Member
M9info cannot work on the M. It has a completely different system of internal numbering for the images taken.
Nobody has been able to decode it yet, it appears to be completely random.

VINCET

At first, I thought I got a brand new camera with 5700 shots in it :) Glad to know that it is not the case.

Photojazz

I came across this thread when I was researching what was going on with my M240 and it's file count. I looked up the M9, and there was no mystery there, it's a hexidecimal number, and you just have to have a hex number to decimal number to convert it. I did the same with my 1 month old M240, and found I had 545,000 images on it! Well, that of course, cannot be right. I pulled the fresh display clear cover off myself, and I am not sure anyone could have a half million shutter releases on a M240 in a year.

Anyway, at this point, I guess it's just the count on the M's internal counter, that we can trust and go by. Of course, we can reset those, so this is going to be a huge problem for used M sales. Buyers of used M's are not going to like that at all.

thrice

If you put a memory card into an M that has the same folder structure and already has files with the same naming prefix you may not get a L0000001.dng as your first file. I have seen this on a couple of M's that are brand new from the factory. You can also reset the file numbering in the camera.

Photojazz

Ahhh, good point Thrice. I am pretty sure I put "new" memory cards into both my new cameras this last couple of months. So, I believe that I am clear on that. I do like being able to prefix my cameras differently, so there's no confusion inside lightroom about numbering either. or my windows file system.

I am not sure you can change the naming convention of the images on the Monochrom though, at least not that I have seen, unless I missed it. Well, you can change the folder name I guess.

Photojazz

While I don't have the answer to that John, I still don't see it as "moot". The number of stills ran through a camera is of value to prospective buyers, regardless of video or live view. I don't think to many people will be buying the M as a full time movie camera or just to look at a 3" screen.