The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28cron asph hood options

TLiu

The original hood is just too big.

Any suggestion on a replacement hood? I bought a 46mm vented hood on eBay but found it creates significant vignetting with the Leica uv filter. Ordered a 46-52mm step up ring and a 52mm vented hood, but if you know a better solution please share.

Paratom

Mmmhh, I use the original hood-so I am sorry not to be able to offer help here.
Did you try without hood?

TLiu

Mmmhh, I use the original hood-so I am sorry not to be able to offer help here.
Did you try without hood?
I have been using it without a hood, but sometimes it does have flare, though very rare. Plus, a hood would be a good way to protect the lens anyway. :)

Last edited:
Without the hood you'll notice occasional drops in contrast, but the light has to be hitting the lens from I would estimate a 60 degree angle. Mostly you can put your hand there without getting it in the frame. More direct light doesn't seem too bad. I dropped my lens, the outer ring replaced but eventually everything worked loose. Locally Leica tightened it all back up for testing, but now focus is way off, needs to go back to solms for repair. I was so sad I bought an early 35 cron ASPH to get me through the period it's away :( As you say, I'd also recommend the hood for protection of a front whack

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I ve tried most options and settled on the 35/1.4asph hood( this is the one before the current FLE version ) . Its similar to the 28 hood in appearance but just smaller . Does not vingnette in any noticeable fashion . Fits perfectly like it was made for the lens.

On the M8 ..we used the heavystar metal ..round hood wide version ...or the similar contax G 1 hood .....both worked great but they don t work on the M9/MONO etc .

There is a special hood available thru PoPflash that was about $300 but is now $600 ..very large by comparison but with the traditional Leica round hood with cut outs .

Let us know if you tests with the step up ring works better .

Double Negative

Not Available
I use a 46mm screw-in hood off the 'bay with NO filter, and it works okay. Wide open there's a bit more vignetting than normal, but not bad. I kind of like it.

Just about anything is better than the stock hood. While it's the best at what it does, it's just... Unwieldy.

The hood of the Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH works as well.

D&A

There is a special hood available thru PoPflash that was about $300 but is now $600 ..very large by comparison but with the traditional Leica round hood with cut outs .

Roger is correct. This optional seperate sale Leica scalloped black metal hood which was specifically made for the 28mm cron asph is quite elegant and the best option for a hood for this lens if money isn't a consideration. Works perfectly and looks lovely, especially in the way its designed. Price wise though, especially now, one has to scratch their head and wonder.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

250swb

I stand behind my camera most of the time, so don't often get to see the size or shape of the standard hood. :)

But if I do notice it then like many people I'll think to myself that it does look a bit chunky :eek:. But it does a much better job than any replacements. It clips on and off, so makes changing filters easy, it is calculated to cover the perfect area, it is plastic so it takes dings easily. So why not the sexy 35mm Summilux hood instead? Well you'll notice with the standard hood it allows a finger tips width of space between the aperture ring and the focusing ring, so the aperture can be adjusted without catching the focus. But the Summilux hood puts it's large diameter rear flange right up against the aperture ring, forcing the fingertip back to overlap the focus ring. Often it may or may not matter if one or the other needs re-adjusting because it has been accidentally moved, but if anybody dares to go out in the winter with gloves on it makes a complete nonsense of being in control of your camera :mad:. And that is why the standard hood is the best.:D

Steve

fotoism

I bought one off the bay which is marked "W 46mm" meaning for wide angle lenses and had no issues. It is not the vented type but that makes it even smaller in overall diameter. The lower right corner of the viewfinder is a bit blocked because of that but I got used to it when framing. I have a filter between the lens and the hood as well.

richardman

Use the 35/1.4 ASPH hood. Expensive like all Leica, but smaller. Just took this last night, the 28/2 cron is so good.

richardman

The only Leica lens I have left (rest sold to pay bills) and those two and the 35/1.4ASPH. These 3 are the "pry them off my cold dead fingers" lens.

If I have to keep only one, it's the 35 but the 28 is just a tad wider. Excellent for interior.

algrove

I use the 12466 special hood which works very nicely even with filters and maintains contrast just fine and no vignetting. They are hard to find now that Leica stopped making them. The last one Popflash sold was at $625 if I remember correctly.

Hosermage

No more than usual, I think. Hard to tell for me because I think it automatically come with some vignette wide open, so I never have to manually add some in post. If I cared enough, I'd take a tripod and take shots to compare... if I cared enough :p

NB23

I really like the original hood. It's sexy, IMO. The only problem with it is that it always ends up breaking where the screws are. It's a known issue. So I ended up buying two 12466 hoods a few years ago when they were cheap, one for my 28 cron and one for my 35 lux asph as I really dislike the ugly 12588.

For me, 28 has always been an important focal length. It's simply the new fifty.

Here's a few 20x24 fb prints from the 28 cron for the people that crave to see what it's capable on film. The digital shots flooding the internet truly lack depth, thanks to the super clean 2D files that have destroyed the look of what photography should be.
Long live the cron 28! Let's hope for a Lux version.

V

Vivek

I really like the original hood. It's sexy, IMO. The only problem with it is that it always ends up breaking where the screws are. It's a known issue. So I ended up buying two 12466 hoods a few years ago when they were cheap, one for my 28 cron and one for my 35 lux asph as I really dislike the ugly 12588.

For me, 28 has always been an important focal length. It's simply the new fifty.

Here's a few 20x24 fb prints from the 28 cron for the people that crave to see what it's capable on film. The digital shots flooding the internet truly lack depth, thanks to the super clean 2D files that have destroyed the look of what photography should be.
Long live the cron 28! Let's hope for a Lux version.

Unfortunately, that depth you are talking about is lost here in the attachment as well. :(