The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8.2 File Numbering error

I've been shooting with an M8.2 for a few weeks. I was out in Central Park over the weekend, in the cold, and I noticed when I got back that after I had changed cards and the battery that there were duplicate file numbers on each card. The images were different, but about 15 images on card #2 had the same number as the last 15 images on card #1. This is troublesome when you're importing because you may accidentally overwrite the files. Has anyone else seen this issue? I'm blaming it on cold weather and a battery that quit very quickly while I was shooting a series of exposures. All of the images came through but the numbering got screwy.

Thanks!

etrigan63

I have an M8 Classic and when I applied the last 2.xx FW updates, my camera started numbering again from 001 - twice (once for each update).

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I was out in the Central Park last friday....pretty darn cold for someone from Florida!.. I had 3 different sd cards fail and the dreaded card is locked message . This was only on my m8.2 but not on the other M8 . Both cameras were on the 2.xx latest version. Two cards were Transcend 2gb and 4gb and the other was a new Lexar 4gb sdhc card....none of these cards had given me any problem in the past. I put in a new card and reformated ...worked fine...no change with the battery.

I plan to reload the software and establish a new starting number for each camera.

I think there are bugs in the new software .

4season

Jeffrey, the file renumbering bug appeared in firmware 2.0 and has been with us since. The workaround is to format the card in the camera before taking a photo. If you format with a computer then immediately start shooting, your counter will reset. I have no idea why this should be, as the camera does not write any special files to that card, aside from the usual DCIM:XXXLeica folders.