The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S on the road

sortvitt

How do you travel with your Leica S? Being on the road a lot I try to find a balance between convenience and versatility. Carrying along a Leica S kit is never easy, but the rewards in terms of IQ is always tempting. Last week I packed a Leica S, 120mm, 30-90mm and a M240 with a 35 Summilux and found it to be an excellent (albeit heavy)combo.
You can read more about the trip here Leica S roadtrip | SORTVITT.
Photos from the trip here Sri Lanka ‹ Jan Brunaes.

baudolino

Yes, that is quite a relevant question. I've been thinking about this in the context of my next Uganda trip, sometime Feb-mar next year (planning process and team building already under way; for a 5-6 day trek in the mountains and 4-5 days safari, with a day or two slotted in for car transit, with photo opportunities along the way). So far, on my past trips, when I took the S2 with me, I usually travelled with just 2 lenses (35 & 120, 35 & 70 or 70 & Hassy 210) and tried to fit everything in a Billingham 307 bag or a smallish Crumpler photo rucksack. For the upcoming trip, I am thinking 35/120/210 plus a Gitzo cabon tripod with Arca P0 head. Although we'll be using porters during the trek part of the trip, we/they will also be hauling a tent, sleeping bags, food, fuel etc. Each porter can carry max 18 kg. Also need to bear in mind airline baggage weight restrictions on the way there and back. So part of me is thinking M9 plus 24,50,90,135 (maybe RX1 as back-up), the other is thinking S2 with the above lenses, even if they all go just in separate Tamrac lens pouches in a normal 30 litre day pack (no photo bag); same for all spare batteries, filters etc. Not decided how the body would travel; looking for some simple pouch, something like the Artisan & Artist pouch for 3 M lenses, just bigger. Maybe RX1 or M9 with 35mm lens as back-up and for taking snaps during the steep uphill sections where the S2 around the neck/shoulder would be just too much of a PITA, based on past experience. Anyway, still some time left to ponder. The thing about the S/S2 is that when you've organised a major trip, found time & money & companions, you want to bring the best equipment. Every time I hesitate, I remind myself how Ed Viesturs and his team hauled an Imax camera to the Everest... Then again, one needs to also think about enjoying the trip, not just about the camera (I think Umberto Eco has a point when he says that he no longer takes a camera when he travels, because he wants to experience the world first hand, and not through a viewfinder). :)

By the way, nice photos and write-up on your website.

Last edited:

Paratom

Great Images. How do you find the IQ of the S and M go together?

By the way, I have a relativly small backpack wich takes the S + 2 lenses.
In the upper area I can store a 3rd lens (but usually only bring two and use the upper case for other stuff-battery, a small jacket, some water...
its not bad at all to carry it.

jaree

Yes, carrying the S2 and its beastly lenses is a pain. However, as you mentioned the results are worth it. For the S2, I generally try to stick to two lenses when travelling long distances. One of 120mm or 180mm and one of 35mm or 70mm.

I rarely use the M9 after getting the S2. Newer compacts like the RX1R or DP3 are perfect complements to the S2, not to mention that they are lightweight and do not give up anything in IQ.

I am able to fit the S2 + 2 lenses + RX1R + DP3 in a medium sized backpack. Tripod attached outside of the badg. Bag has enough room to spare for snacks, light rain jacket and I carry a big water bottle hanging from the belt loop.

Self-promotion: I recently carried the S2 with 180mm, 35mm + RX1R + DP3 on a trip to Glacier National Park, Montana. I even hiked with the beast and its lenses on fairly strenuous trails, with one hike lasting 11 miles round trip. User Report – Sony RX1R and Leica S2 in Glacier National Park, Montana by Eeraj Qaisar

- J.

sortvitt

Hi baudolino!
That sounds like quite a trip and a lot of fun! One thing to add is the weather-sealing of the S-system; it does give you a bit more confidence when shooting in wet or humid weather. I don't know what Uganda is like, but in my part of the world the equipment will get wet at some point either due to drizzles or humidity. As for transport I use a customized hardcase for the body and lenses, - it does give you peace of mind for the longer transport segments. Good luck and post a report when you are done!

sortvitt

Hi Paratom,
It's a good question, and I do think they are different enough to require adjustments if you were to show them side-by-side. Excellent IQ in both systems, though.

Jan.