The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica MM

Best ever digital M

• Leica M8

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Leica M9/p

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Leica MM

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Leica M (240)

Votes: 25 27.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

henningw

Overall, as a camera the M240 is better. It clears the buffer in a reasonable time, the viewfinder is better and the shutter is better, as well as numerous other things.

The sensor in the MM, on the other hand, is completely beguiling and amazing. If only it were in an M240 body.

Henning

FrozenInTime

Problem with the M.240 is that is ugly and vulgar ; compared to the MM with it's understated matt black minimalism.

I just turned down a M.240 as I really want to add a second MM.
Not sure if I should wait until there is a M.240 series B&W body.
If it were to have the same finish as the MM and no red dot, I would go for it.

BANKER1

Well darn. Now, I have to carry around a black drape to cover my "ugly and vulgar" M and only uncover it for a short time to take a shot. What horrible taste I must have since mine is SILVER. Even more ugly and vulgar. Thanks for pointing out the error of my way. But, you know, I thought it was all about the image (not my personal image, that is). Oh well, I must have been wrong. I know. I can get an MM for MY image and prominently carry it while my M waits in the case only to be brought out for a color emergency.

Greg

FrozenInTime

Well darn. Now, I have to carry around a black drape to cover my "ugly and vulgar" M and only uncover it for a short time to take a shot. ...
Yeh, sorry guess I overstated it; I will reserve vulgar for the gold plated 100 year special edition.
You just need to cover the red dot up in public ;) - the rest of the camera is fine.

chrism

I can't articulate a reason, but since I have had the MM, I haven't used the M9, M7 or MP at all. That's sad, and probably means that all MMs should be destroyed immediately.

C.

asiafish

I am absolutely crazy about the MM. In fact, I just sold my M8.2 and take the MM with me just about everywhere.

V

Vivek

But the MM will likely prove to be timeless, which is quite rare for anything digital.
FWIW, at the moment this still remains the (I dread to say this) "affordable" monochrome camera in the market.

I am not sure if the camera itself will last for >2 years but am sure atleast some of the images captured will be. :)

V

Vivek

Hi Amin,

I know about the conversions and have been in touch with Dan for sometime now.

There are absolutely no comparisons in every sense.

The MM still is a cut above.

PS: One could argue that the Foveon sensor cameras are also true monochrome cameras, for example.

Godfrey

I can't rate the MM against the M9 or M(240) or M8 as I haven't owned or used an MM. I've only owned and used the M9.

But I'd like an MM, either in addition or instead of. I'd also like an M(240). Which one I'd like more is a toss up as each has its particular point of interest for me.

G

airfrogusmc

I got a good bud has both an M9 and a M240.
He let me barrow his M9 before I went to the Fla Keys last Oct to try before I actually bought the MM to see if the rangefinder experience was as good as i remembered. It had been a really long time since I had shot a Leica M. I fell in love with his M9. The MM is just so much better at high ISO than the M9 is and I have been seeing in B&W the last few years. I think it actually performs a little better at 6400 better than the M 240. But the M 240 is a great choice if you need good high ISO performance.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

It is not just the high ISO performance but that quiet shutter is a joy and makes me wonder about the M which is supposed to be even quieter!

Photojazz

Edited for content by me. I approve of this message:

This poll is not without bias, so it really has no meaning other than boosting MM owner's egos. Maybe Vivek needed a boost. I chose not to vote at all... :)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

MM makes some amazing images, true. This poll is not without bias, so it really has no meaning other than boosting MM owner's egos. In order to have been a fair and just poll, it would have needed to be started by an independent party that was not known to any ownership community, and also not ask the question if the MM was the best digital ever as the headline for the post. :) It had to be said. I am not saying it's not true. I am not saying it is. There's a case for both ways honestly. Color is part of everyone's life, to eliminate it in it's entirity is not something I am personally willing to do. But I do love the MM images. They definitely have a signature to them.
:ROTFL: Funniest post in this thread!

V

Vivek

Edited for content by me. I approve of this message:

This poll is not without bias, so it really has no meaning other than boosting MM owner's egos. Maybe Vivek needed a boost. I chose not to vote at all... :)
That would be so lame and I am not. :ROTFL: