The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Intros New Travel Tripod and Ballheads

Double Negative

Not Available
Heads up! Leica is getting into (or I should say, expanding into) the tripod and ballhead business. They're hoping to round out their accessory offerings in the Leica Stores. This is completely new from their tabletop tripod, which has been around for ages.

The line-up includes the Travel Tripod (made of carbon and aluminum), two ball heads (24 and 38) and a Cordura nylon bag. Each ball head comes with three disks and more can be purchased individually.

It looks like a pretty sweet setup; a bit pricey but not overly so. Full details, images and prices for those interested:

Leica Intros New Travel Tripod and Ballheads

f8orbust

Or they're getting into the rebranding business (or have maybe taken over FLM). The 38 ball head looks identical to this other than a couple of cosmetic changes.

seakayaker

Nice if you are looking for the full brand name lineup.

I will take a pass for the time being since I am currently happy with my Gitzo GT0531 tripod and Monoball P0 head.

Double Negative

Not Available
I'd agree, Dan - and I think that is Leica's hope... That someone comes in and orders up a full setup. If nothing else, at least they don't have to send a customer elsewhere for a tripod. The parallels to the Apple Store way of things is clear (keep the customer in-store!).

I'm using an inexpensive setup by Giottos, which is actually pretty nice - and overkill for the M in any event. :D

Duane Pandorf

I recently purchased the RRS system for the M9 used here on the forum. I bought the L plate and attachment hardware for my existing Manfrotto tripod and head.

I am looking forward to using this system as the leaves change here and I'm attending a waterfall workshop later this month. We have over 300 in our county.

If Leica themselves actually manufactured a tripod and head? I shudder at the thought, but I also imagine it would be amazing. Leica-made geared head, it's the only thing that would matter.

But you know, scroll down on that blog and you'll see Leica-branded/inspired bikes, so... hmm...

Double Negative

Not Available
I recently purchased the RRS system for the M9 used here on the forum. I bought the L plate and attachment hardware for my existing Manfrotto tripod and head.

I am looking forward to using this system as the leaves change here and I'm attending a waterfall workshop later this month. We have over 300 in our county.
That's a really nice setup, Duane! RRS makes great stuff (as does Manfrotto). Sounds like some gorgeous scenery too. Out here in suburbia, it's not so exciting... But I definitely plan to hit the parks and preserves. The leaves are juuuust starting to turn now!

If Leica themselves actually manufactured a tripod and head? I shudder at the thought, but I also imagine it would be amazing. Leica-made geared head, it's the only thing that would matter.

But you know, scroll down on that blog and you'll see Leica-branded/inspired bikes, so... hmm...
Well, like many things German it'd probably be over-engineered and built like a tank (think BMW, etc.). Quality would be a given. As I fear, would be the price.

"That blog" is not just a "blog." Look more closely. As for the bike, that's what an individual had made for him; it has nothing to do with Leica other than the inspiration behind it. ;)

Jeffg53

I thought the idea of cork on ball heads had died many years ago, and that metal to metal was the only way to go.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well the big ball head is like my Arca Z1 DP which looks to be a dead ringer for the S2. At the very least they should use rubber instead. Cork dries out and you could buy a Arca mounting plate or RRS locking camera mount for it. Just adds to the overall costs . But the reality is even most M shooters and everyone else for that matter has gone to the Arca style of camera plates and mounting systems. I know Leica likes to be unique but they went in the wrong direction of the market. Cork for us old guys looks cheap. We remember the drying out and slippage using cork.

fotografz

Well the big ball head is like my Arca Z1 DP which looks to be a dead ringer for the S2. At the very least they should use rubber instead. Cork dries out and you could buy a Arca mounting plate or RRS locking camera mount for it. Just adds to the overall costs . But the reality is even most M shooters and everyone else for that matter has gone to the Arca style of camera plates and mounting systems. I know Leica likes to be unique but they went in the wrong direction of the market. Cork for us old guys looks cheap. We remember the drying out and slippage using cork.
NO cork thank you! The glue ALWAYS gets slippery-slimy. Non-ARCA is a no go for me. Every camera I have is ARCA equipped ... even the base plate on my MM is the RRS ARCA grove.

The industry should just give it up and go ARCA on everything.

However, I don't think this is for us ... maybe more to "complete the accessory package" for the well heeled buyer in one of those high-end Leica boutiques next to Louis Vuitton :)

-Marc

algrove

Most of us have already decided on our tripod and QR system so this seems too late into a very developed market.

fotoism

Apparently Leica is targeting those who want to hop on the Leica band wagon AND have excess cash, and not established photographers like some of our forum members here. Cork and non-Arca spec are obvious signs who they want to get.

The original Leica table-top tripods, the minipod, the small and large ballheads, and even the Leica geosystem surveying tripods are the real deals, and they will always have their spots in Leica's history. I don't know where these new ones will fit into.

fotografz

Apparently Leica is targeting those who want to hop on the Leica band wagon AND have excess cash, and not established photographers like some of our forum members here. Cork and non-Arca spec are obvious signs who they want to get.

I don't know where these new ones will fit into.
Into the back of their Porsche Cayennes, and Louis Vuitton Steamer Trunks. :)

- Marc

wattsy

not established photographers like some of our forum members here. Cork and non-Arca spec are obvious signs
I frequently use the little bog standard (non QR:eek:) ballhead that came with my Gitzo tripod. It works fine for my M system. I didn't realise that ditching the "cork and non-Arca spec" was de rigueur in serious photographic circles.:rolleyes: