The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LR5 issue with M 240

VINCET

Seems like my Lightroom 5 is not playing nice with my M 240 right now. I shot a few pic with the M 240 and 50 lux asph 6-bit at f1.4. When I uploaded to LR5, it tells me that the aperture was set at 1.7. When I try to click Enable Profile Correction, it is not giving me the option to pick Leica. What did I miss?

wuffstuff

There is no connection between the lens and the camera to let the camera know electronically what the f stop is. The camera guesstimates the f stop. So, lightroom doesn't know the actual f stop. Lots of threads on this subject.

The enable profile correction, when clicked, does work neatly. Go to the next tab to the right, in the lens correction area, that reads profile across the top and the camera/lens combo should appear below.

sortvitt

I have experienced the same a few times and at least in my case it happens only with JPG's. Sometimes I forget to set the image quality back to DNG after having done a firmware upgrade which is what happened last week (again). Really annoyed with myself when I discover it after importing to Lightroom...

Not sure if this is the cause of your problems, but the symptoms are similar; only a handful of manufacturers appear in the dropdown list (Apple, GoPro etc) when the image is of type JPG and I get the full list with DNG files.

VINCET

sortvitt, You might be right. I might have the image in JPG format. I will check again.

Thanks
Vince

250swb

No, this really is because the camera is guessing the aperture you used. It is impossible for it to be completely accurate even half the time as there is no electrical connection between the camera body and the lens, nothing to tell the camera exactly what aperture you used.

Steve

sortvitt

No, this really is because the camera is guessing the aperture you used. It is impossible for it to be completely accurate even half the time as there is no electrical connection between the camera body and the lens, nothing to tell the camera exactly what aperture you used.

Steve
Agreed wrt to the aperture being an approximation. The profile issue seems to be related to files being JPG's, not sure why there would be a difference in handling from DNG's.

Jan.

VINCET

Steve, the issue that sortvitt mentioned is also true as I only have a very limited list of camera and lens available on the profile list. I also agree that the camera is guessing the apeture.