The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Milich WATE adapter on FF?

sisoje

I would love some feed back from users of WATE and John's WATE filter adapter: when used on the lens with the original shade, does it vignetting on FF Leica (M9, M240)?

Tanks!

vickko

Yes, agree fully with Bob.

I shot my WATE with the Milich adapter on film and got a really big vignetting surprise. I was using an MDa and thought the film gate was a lab special.
Then I investigated the lens and I recall I used it on an M8 without any issues. Then I realized that the M8 had a much smaller sensor than FF. Popped the lens on my M9 and sure enough, lots of vignetting.
Took the filter off, and everything was fine again.

So, adios Milich adapter.

jlm

Workshop Member
way back when, the M8 needed IR filtration, and that led to the adapter which was M8 specific

robsteve

Subscriber
way back when, the M8 needed IR filtration, and that led to the adapter which was M8 specific
Those of us that had a WATE and the M8 much appreciated your effort. The Leica method of mounting a filter was pretty ugly and I also think prone to flare.

Auni

John - On my M8 your adaptor was brilliant. Thank you so much for that. The IR filter problem with the M8 needed a solution on the WATE and your adaptor was perfect.

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
thx, that was the first leica accessory i made. it might still work on FF if you don't use the standard WATE hood on the front. i no longer have a wate to try it

Auni

John - I still have your adapter somewhere, but the only filter I would be interested in now for my M + WATE would be a polarizer. Right now I just shoot through a handheld big polarizing filter left over from one of my (now sold) DSLR lenses. Again, that adaptor was fantastic for us WATE + M8 users.