The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using iPad for travel workflow?

woodleica

I'm finally thinking of switching to an iPad for my workflow with a new 128gb iPad air and my new M240 especially given that the iPad fits in my fogg b# bag and makes a great travel kit. Used to use laptops which I no longer intend to take on trips. I'm thinking of keeping about 100gb of sd cards and backing them up into the iPad so I have two copies on a trip.

For longer trips maybe I'll get a HD to back up in.

Obviously posting while on a trip becomes an issue given post processing is best on a PC but I typically don't post while traveling.

Was wondering if anyone is using the iPad exclusively and what your workflow is. As a LR user, photo smith also looks interesting ( Photosmith – your photography workflow, mobile ).

Anyone gone this route? I'm guessing I'm behind the times....

thanks

DaveS

I took the ipad for a 1 month trip to Spain and Morocco last spring. I take only DNG on the Leica so I used PhotoRaw to view the occasional image to make sure it was in focus etc. So I used the iPad as a back up device and email, but not for photo editing or posting. I found it was much smaller and easier to take along than a Laptop, but not as good for easy editing. I also have photosmith, snapspeed and shuttersnitch for different uses, but on vacation, it ended up being mostly a backup and email device. I found when I use my laptop, I edit and look at them in LR, then when I get home I reload and do it all over again on the PC. So with an iPad, I actually spend more time with my wife and seeing the sights, rather than editing late into the night.

I also used a Kingston WiDrive 128GB device as a second backup location to the iPad. It is a cool wifi drive that the iPad can use as aux storage, but for all the time it took each night to back up twice, I decided next time I will back up on the iPad and then keep the SD card as the second location.

that's my experience.
Dave

Double Negative

Not Available
I did, once. But mostly just to backup the SD cards. In the long run, I opted for a MBA so that I can use Photoshop, etc. I'm a laptop kind of person rather than tablet...

woodleica

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave you confirm the kind of thing I want to do. The only tool that was known to me is photo smith but will look up the others. Photosmith is intriguing because as an LR user you can tag the photos at the end of the day etc while they are still fresh in your mind but upload then wirelessly into LR later when you get home.

DN - I hear you I never thought of traveling without a laptop - but the urge to travel small makes this compelling.