The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M240 and wide angle lenses

felix5616

I am interested in a leica M240, specifically in its ability to use wide angle lenses, 12mm, 15mm and 21mm lenses. How well does the sensor handle these lenses?

EvilTed

My favorite lens on the M 240 is the 21mm SEM.
I just got back from 2 weeks of shooting in Vietnam and this was my most used lens.

I can use it as a point and shoot with an optical bright line finder because it is so sharp. This is my preferred street lens over 50 Cron, 50 Lux or 35 Lux.
It is super sharp and just works.
The 35 Lux FLE is particularly difficult to get good results using hyper focal / zone focussing. It requires more precise manual focusing.

The 21mm SEM also works with the EVF pretty nicely too.

I have a Voigtlander 12mm which I intend to try with the EVF in the next week or two.

ET

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have been very happy with WATE, 21mm SEM, and Voigtlander 21/1.8 on my M9. I intense to use these on the M240 when I get mine.

Paratom

SO far I have very good experience with the 21/3.4 on the M.
I use it with an external optical viewfinder.

Gary Clennan

21SEM is absolutely amazing. I have also used the CV15 but it was brutal (with or without coding) with color shift and also some minor corner smearing.

postman

I have an uncoded Leica 21mm coupled with a M-240 and I often forget to set the lens type manually. The shots are unbearable. Red on one side, green on the other. In fact I am here in the forum tonight looking for idea on how to get the lens coded quickly.

EDIT: I should point out this is the Leica 21mm 2.8 lens that was recently discontinued. The lens is great, just not when you forget to tell the camera you mounted it.

Last edited:

Double Negative

Not Available
The SEM sets the bar, IMO. I very nearly bought one myself... But I'm a sucker for speed - and didn't want to splash out for the 'Lux. Ended up getting the Voigtländer 21mm f/1.8 Ultron and have been very happy; it's a real sleeper. Though it is larger than the SEM and takes 58mm rather than 46mm filters. Still, 5x cheaper than the 'Lux!

I'll echo all the sentiment here on the 21 SEM, its a gem. I also love using the 21 'lux on mine, lately its the common lens I use on my M.

The CV12 was usable with LCC on the M9 and its even better (slightly) on the M240, I'd recommend it if you want that super wide 12mm look.

KeithL

I'd make my choice based on focal length.

As far as wides are concerned and given the choice and the situation I tend to use the longest focal length I possibly can. The more extreme the field-of-view the more extreme the rendition of perspective.