The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bags of English Leather by Jonathan Slack

Paratom

These bags start at $1000... how much does a whole cow cost?
What would the bag cost if you multiplicate the money you earn per hour with the time needed to produce one of those bags?

By the way…I heard the cheapest cows for leather production are holy indish cows for about 50$. Of course they have to be smuggled over the border first and then kids make leather out of them while standing in chemicals barefoot.
I assume the bags would cost less if they were made out of such leather.

But in the end I have to admit that the price is to high for my taste. Specially for people who switch gear every 1 or 2 years and never know if the bag was right size for me in 2 years.

Maybe I will get one as a present for myself when I get 50 years old.

jonoslack

These bags start at $1000... how much does a whole cow cost?
Yeah but you've somehow got to convince it to sit in a tanning bath for a month : that costs real money in "cow whisperer" fees.
What would the bag cost if you multiplicate the money you earn per hour with the time needed to produce one of those bags?
Brad, Ulfric, Tom
the leather takes a year to tan (not a month) and the bags apparently take 70 hours to make, so, at £10 per hour that sounds like a loss of about £100.

Which doesn't mean that they're worth the money to you (of course), but it does explain their price!

Photojazz

Exclusiveness and affordability are usually mutually exclusive dichotomies. Oh I am on my game this AM. On one axis of a twin axis graph, you have Exclusiveness. On the axis of a twin axis graph, you have affordability. On this graph, you have to decide where you want this curve of your photography hobby to look like, and your bags to be. We could plot camera bodies, lenses, bags, other accessories on the same graph, and come up with an average of your total hobby graph.

Really, this is not much different than the Luigi camera cases that people buy, is it? It honestly is an extension of that. You buy a camera case for one camera. At least these have a chance to be reused with different bodies. Like moving from an M9 to a M or MM. You could still use the case. That doesn't guarantee suitability, but it does give you some sense of usability for a longer period of time.

Great looking bags. If I saw the function, I could in time justify the price I guess if I had the funds. At this point, my price point of bags is lower on the graph is all. I am sure I have friends here that are more financially capable that could more easily see the affordability tab join the desire/exclusiveness tab, and justify this purchase.

Added editorial:
Really, many people could argue the same against our beloved Leica, RE the expense of it. Looking at the quality you can get with an $800.00 camera (Sony RX-100), we are all a little nutty when it comes to our Leica high priced bodies, and lenses. We could get a large percentage of the final image enjoyment from that $800.00 camera as far as looking at the final images. We just wouldn't have as enjoyable of a total experience, and yes, in some cases, that Leica mystique would be missing from our images. We place a lot of value on that, putting us all high on that "Exclusive" side of the scale for Leica. We all know most Leica is not well, "affordable".

Last edited:

250swb

I can't deny they look incredibly well made, but how many photographers can conceive of a bag for life unless they have enough money for life already (enough money they don't need to account for)? It is a closely connected equation, and worthy of thinking about in the marketing and the resultant product, although I can't help but think they made the product first and thought about which people might want second.

But the ill conceived quality statement for me is that the half case will be 4-6mm thick hide! That is making your digital Leica, already a sturdy chap compared to your old film Leica, another 8 to 12mm thicker! 1.2cm thicker, very nearly half an inch fatter! Did nobody ever question this in a world where Leica owners value the compactness of their camera? It starts to make the idea of reaching the lens release button a challenge never mind the controls on the rear.

Quality manufacturing should have quality advice about the market they want to get into, and what they make isn't a good start, it is form for forms sake, making something for themselves, not the wider audience they need.

Steve

jonoslack

But the ill conceived quality statement for me is that the half case will be 4-6mm thick hide! That is making your digital Leica, already a sturdy chap compared to your old film Leica, another 8 to 12mm thicker! 1.2cm thicker, very nearly half an inch fatter! Did nobody ever question this in a world where Leica owners value the compactness of their camera? It starts to make the idea of reaching the lens release button a challenge never mind the controls on the rear.
Hi Steve
Well, from my point of view the M is already too fat, and I wouldn't add a millimetre (or a half case case). But some people like these things, and maybe if they do they like them substantial (it takes all types).

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Steve
Well, from my point of view the M is already too fat, and I wouldn't add a millimetre (or a half case case). But some people like these things, and maybe if they do they like them substantial (it takes all types).
I wonder which bag would fit my holga 120. Actually they look great and there are a few things I own that seemed expensive at the time but have lasted far beyond expectation. My example is my favorite Barbour border jacket. You will find me wearing it on inclement days. There are many pleasures in life. Sometimes certain things are just worth the extra price. I shouldn't have to remind Leica owners of that.
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Like Bob said. You don't need to rationalize quality and desire. I love my Barbour which cost me even more of a fortune here in the US than in England. Likewise a decent leather case made by artisans really needs no financial justification if you can afford it - you only live once and some of these simple pleasures make a difference in enjoying your time here.

(Which reminds me that I NEED to get that Monochrom again)

jlm

Workshop Member
leather reminds me of the cube leather "bag" I've yet to find a use for
i'm a Belstaff guy