The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M, R, and LTM lenses on the Sony A7/A7R

jonoslack

Re: M and LTM lenses on the Sony A7/A7R

In answer to your statement/question: 1. Ashwin is a trusted observer. I'm happy to rely on his judgment rather than sort through an endless and often uncivil thread.

2. Well . . . some of us just shoot wides. Guess I'll have to be in the 1%.

The Sony A7R won't fit my shooting style, although it's a fine camera and may work for everyone else in the world.

Plus one on the praise for Ashwin's terrific images.
Hi Woody
absolutely concur with you - Ashwin is both a great guy and a great photographer.

I also shoot wides . . . . . . it's taken me 24 hours with the A7r to teach me 2 things.

1. It's a fantastic and versatile camera with excellent IQ

2. It's not for me either.

all the best

ashwinrao1

i am struggling with the decision. Ultimately, I really enjoyed 2 days of shooting iwth it, and then didn't like one day with it...Very mood dependent. I need to try it with its own lenses as well to render judgment. I plan to keep my RX1R for the moment, after my fiancee basically demanded it...lol...so, less money in the camera fund forces more careful consideration of such "extra" purchases

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
i am struggling with the decision. Ultimately, I really enjoyed 2 days of shooting iwth it, and then didn't like one day with it...Very mood dependent. I need to try it with its own lenses as well to render judgment. I plan to keep my RX1R for the moment, after my fiancee basically demanded it...lol...so, less money in the camera fund forces more careful consideration of such "extra" purchases
On this one you've helped me break my pattern of many years: interesting new camera comes out; buy it early, probably at a premium; try it for a month; realize I get better results from my MM (or M or whatever); sell it on the used market.

Thanks!

Double Negative

Not Available
I really want to like this camera, but I like my wides and I'm not a fan of oddness or color casts - you're saying it does this even with 35 and 50mm lenses? Ugh.

V

Vivek

I really want to like this camera, but I like my wides and I'm not a fan of oddness or color casts - you're saying it does this even with 35 and 50mm lenses? Ugh.
No one is saying that!! There is no evidence anywhere that R lenses do anything weird on the A7R/A7. It is a great opportunity to use this orphaned system lenses! :thumbs:

Paratom

The problem with R-lenses - IMO - that with some exceptions like the 60 macros many of the R-lenses are overpriced at the moment.
I recently sold my 28-90 for 500$ more than I paid for it 2 years ago just to realize I could have sold it for even 1500 $ more on ebay.

I also wonder how those lenses balance on the body of the A7r.

camping

The price of R lenses was too low and are now approaching their normal level.
The 50mm 1.4 E60 should be at a relative price to the M50mm 1.4.
The wide angles will really appreciate.
The time to buy was when the prices were low and now with the A7 cameras they will become fairly priced.

Guy bought his R 19mm at the bottom of the market.

Even the simple, cheap, and compact Minolta M lenses will rise. Especially the 28mm and 40mm which Vivek has shown in all there glory. Can you imagine they could have been bought for less than $300.
By having a good selection of M and R glass one would not have to buy the expensive Zeiss A glass.

Paul

Double Negative

Not Available
No one is saying that!! There is no evidence anywhere that R lenses do anything weird on the A7R/A7. It is a great opportunity to use this orphaned system lenses! :thumbs:
Actually, Ashwin did - at least with M lenses.

I'm not interested in a camera that I have to buy additional lenses for (in this case, R, as I have none currently). Then I might as well stick with a system that works together from the get-go (e.g. buying Sony/Zeiss lenses for the A7R or just sticking with a system). I have M lenses, so if the body doesn't work well with those then it's a dead-end.

V

Vivek

There is a legend coming to the local boutique shop soon. I am going to make a visit with my MM and my "Barnack Sony" to meet/greet him.

jonoslack

On this one you've helped me break my pattern of many years: interesting new camera comes out; buy it early, probably at a premium; try it for a month; realize I get better results from my MM (or M or whatever); sell it on the used market.

Thanks!
Me too Woody . . . . except I did buy it . . . . and then took it back.

. . . . . and I agree the thread should be here for R users.

I tried several R lenses, and they were good - and nice to use as well. . . . . as are the Contax Zeiss lenses which are of almost the same quality and something like 1/10th of the price!

I think this camera is lots of important things - it just isn't a better way of using M lenses.

Having spent the last three years trying out 3rd party lenses on different cameras I've just come to the conclusion that cameras are best used with the lenses designed for them.

If Sony/Zeiss can come up with good quality lenses which match the size of the camera, then I'll be back in there like a flash - I liked the camera, the only real thing missing is IBIS.

As for the RX1r Ashwin - I'd have one of those if it were 50mm, but I'm not a 35mm user, really not.

I think what Sony is doing right now is really important - moving the industry forward, and it's fun being a guinea pig too . . . but not if it's too constraining

.... I think what Sony is doing right now is really important - moving the industry forward, and it's fun being a guinea pig too . . . but not if it's too constraining
That was the biggest disappointment in the D800, basically no innovation at all. Sony are pushing all the boundaries at so many levels. Innovations in focusing to putting silent controllers on the cameras for video to being a force in mirrorless cameras. Both Canon and Nikon are being left behind and Sony are covering all the bases. It pains me as I've hated Sony for many years due to their music rights policies, but have to admit they're on top of their game.

I had a Nex 7 briefly but too small for my hands. The Zeiss 24 1.8 was lovely and the 18-200 (I still keep for videos with an original Nex 5) is also a great lens with stunning colour.

Photojazz

That chat at FM is information overload on the Sony.

I much prefer seeing a few images, hearing some intelligent talk about what works and doesn't, and letting me formulate my own opinion.

I have decided at this point, this is not the camera for me to supplement my own photography at least not at this point. If something happens that changes, then we'll see, but why spend my shutter clicks or my $ on a camera I don't really need that will require new lenses?

Thanks for sharing.

ashwinrao1

Talk and information overload aside, the camera does really friggin well.... I can't wait to see Sony flush the system out, as the sensor is really nice, and in operature, the A7 does great. The A7R, I am sure, would be fantastic. I gotta say, the A7 is fitting in nicely as a change of pace camera for me (from my Leicas, that is).... I do ponder the added detail from the R, but find that the A7 files remind me quite a bit of the RX1 files....very solid....

Here are some pics from a birthday filled week-end, taken with a borrowed 35 mm FE lens and 75 Summilux, mainly at ISO 1600-6400....

By the way, all images were processed in LR, and color choices were a mix of available light and processing