The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M, R, and LTM lenses on the Sony A7/A7R

ashwinrao1

Thought it might be time for this type of thread. I have been busy this week-end shooting a borrowed A7R and a HOST of M lenses...I am satisfied that everything 28 mm (summcricron) and above would suit my purposes, and in particular, the longer lenses work great, with precision focus.... I am definitely getting one, at this point, not that there was really any doubt...it'll likely serve as my back up to the MM, and will run alongside my M9 at times.

I plan to post my comments and thoughts along the way, but I am impressed....it's not, by any means, a faultless camera, but the sensor shines in many regards!

Last edited:

segedi

Re: M and LTM lenses on the Sony A7/A7R

Ashwin
What lens was used for the first photo? Seems to exhibit excessive purple fringing.
I like the colors coming from this sensor!

ashwinrao1

Hi Woody, not a huge fan of wides (changed for self protection lol) on the camera. There is generally a loss of resolution at the edges, as discussed, and color shifts for lenses wider than 35, along with some older 35's. I was able to generally correct for issues with the 28 cron, and haven't had much concern within the 35 lux or longer lenses. The Noct f/0.95 seems to exhibit more purple fringing than usual , but keeps its magic otherwise . Raw files are great. I still far prefer the MM for bw work by quite a bit , but in general I like the colors coming from the A7R and feel that the colors are pleasing in general when color shift is not at play. On a separate note, and this is totally subjective, I think that the IQ coming from the RX1R is subtly superior, but.I am using adapted lenses and a beta raw converter in LR5.3RC

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

This has been done to death on FM Forums, 116 pages and counting:

A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses - FM Forums

What is it with "the wides", anyway? 99% (give or take) of shots I see taken with M's are wide open and with an OOF background. Just look at the Fun w/Digital M Images thread on this forum. :)

Lovely images, BTW, Ashwin!

So, what's wrong with discussing this a bit over here on this forum?

jonoslack

Hi Woody, not a huge fan of wife's on the camera. There is generally a loss of resolution at the edges,
:ROTFL:
Wow Ashwin, and you aren't even married yet are you?

I promise I won't tell on you :angel:

Lovely shots, interested that you can manage with the 28 'cron, I suspect I won't bother.

As expected, it looks like the WATE is a good option for the camera (I guess it'll be some time before there is anything comparable from Zeiss or Sony). Did you try it?

I'm also interested in shooting with R lenses. Need a camera first though!

What is it with "the wides", anyway? 99% (give or take) of shots I see taken with M's are wide open and with an OOF background. Just look at the Fun w/Digital M Images thread on this forum. :)

It is quite obvious that there are situations where poor edges and corners performances are not important for the picture; this does not mean that the M wides (with the exception of the WATE) can be considered good performers on the Sony A7R, which remains a lovely camera anyhow.

k-hawinkler

It is quite obvious that there are situations where poor edges and corners performances are not important for the picture; this does not mean that the M wides (with the exception of the WATE) can be considered good performers on the Sony A7R, which remains a lovely camera anyhow.
Thanks. I recall also having seen some impressive shots with the 21 and 24 Summiluxes on the A7R. However, those were jpg images and not conclusive.

I should get my A7R in early December and, of course, my WATE will be one of the first lenses on it. ;)

Thanks. I recall also having seen some impressive shots with the 21 and 24 Summiluxes on the A7R. However, those were jpg images and not conclusive.

I should get my A7R in early December and, of course, my WATE will be one of the first lenses on it. ;)
I have the Summilux 21 but I have not mounted it yet on the Sony A7R; I will do as soon as I can and I will show the results.

ashwinrao1

The 21 Super Elmar was not a good performer on the A7R FWIW.

Jono, thanks, my friend. If I had a WATE, I would have tried it immediately, but alas sadly sold mine years ago. For the 28 cron, I found that using the LR5.3 GND filter for any corner/section that color shifted obviously, set to around +50 exposers, increasing the tint towards green, and then shifting the color temp down to a slightly cooler setting seemed to mask the matter...I am color blind though :) heheh...and that is the truth, so most of the color shift matters are harder for me to visualize....it may also be why people generally prefer my bw work and why I prefer the MM....

The wife comment...wow, my ipad is dangerous ;)... Corrected for self preservation.

jlm

Workshop Member
couple of questions;

is the NEX mount the same as the A7R?
does Capture One process A7R files (yet?)

jlm

Workshop Member
couple of questions;

is the NEX mount the same as the A7R?
does Capture One process A7R files (yet?)

D&A

Wonderful shots as usual Ashwin and appreciate your posting them. This camera has such potential but by most accounts, clearly lens selection for the 35mm focal length and wider will have to be carefully evaluated on a lens by lens basis. Is B&W output about on par with say an M9? In other words quite adequate by could be bested by the MM others? Thanks.

Dave(DandA)

woodleica

Nice pictures Ashwin! Looks like a good backup solution. Having just got my M, I'm going to stay faithful to it ( except for when I use my D800e ;) ). Did you try any of the Sony lenses?

ashwinrao1

More testing from today. This is a temperamental sensor. I have seen some vignetting and color shifts using the "grey day" torture tests, shooting the 50 lux asph and 35 summarit...Yet, I continue to find the files enjoyable in terms of workability:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member

In answer to your statement/question: 1. Ashwin is a trusted observer. I'm happy to rely on his judgment rather than sort through an endless and often uncivil thread.

2. Well . . . some of us just shoot wides. Guess I'll have to be in the 1%.

The Sony A7R won't fit my shooting style, although it's a fine camera and may work for everyone else in the world.

Plus one on the praise for Ashwin's terrific images.