The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Special edition Monochrom is SEXY

Photojazz

Speaking of ISO 10,000. I had to try it. Mild sharpening and mild noise reduction in LR5

MM,50 Lux F1.7 1/180th second, ISO 10,000, handheld:

Double Negative

Not Available
^ NICE! ;)

FWIW, another big part of the decision process was the fact that I hate shooting with eyeglasses... Switching between the LCD/EVF2 and VF would be a pain and essentially require them. As mentioned, I use the Walter Eyepiece with the RF VF to great satisfaction. I can read the LCD enough without [glasses] to make selections, etc. In a nutshell, no glasses necessary with the M9/MM!

Minor detail; I can use my existing finders, half cases, batteries and charger with the MM also. Same ergonomics and operation as well. So carrying both bodies requires no additional brain cells.

Sorry for rambling in this thread. But this was MY thought process for how I work, anyway. As mentioned, YMMV.

asiafish

For me the biggest advantage is the use of old-fashioned yellow, orange and red filters without NO LOSS of information from the file. Using color filter effects in B&W conversion takes information out of the file in the channels you are de-emphasizing. With a real glass filter, you still get full resolution from the sensor.

Double Negative

Not Available
FWIW, I couldn't be happier with my decision to go MM! I've been shooting with it almost exclusively these past (nearly) two weeks.

turtle

I did not find the M240 and MM files to be close at all, to be honest. I wanted the M240 for a number of reasons, but in the end took the MM. IMHO resolution is quite a bit better, tonality of B&W in another league altogether and file flexibility and robustness in post vastly better. If you are a dedicated B&W shooter and work files hard, there is no decision to make...

jonoslack

The MM is a special camera and quite pure in use, but the M240 is capable of clean shots at ISO 5000 and beyond. I owned both for a time and aside from not needing the few extra steps in Lightroom and SilverEfex, the Monochrom became a shelf queen while the M240 did everything asked of it. There were many shooting times when I only had the Monochrom with me that I wished I had the option of color.

The Monochrom is a wonderful tool that produces fantastic images. But the M240 just eclipses it. I wish I still had a Monochrom around so I could take side by side images and show you what I mean.
HI Brad
I've just seen this post. I have both, and I have to agree with you. There is something lovely about the MM files, but the M does fine B&W conversions, and sometimes it's nice to be able to use the channel mixer for conversions.

To my mind, you can get almost as good B&W from the M, but the colour from the MM is nothing like as good . . . . and nor is anything else (except for the weight).

all the best

bradhusick

Thanks, Jono. It's surprising how passionate some posters feel about their chosen tools. I guess that keeps these boards interesting. We are fortunate to live in a time when there are such good choices available. If my late father or grandfather (Rolleiflex shooters) had ever imagined we would be shooting in lighting conditions that required ISO (ASA) 10,000 he would have had a seizure. I am fortunate to now possess their 11,000 negatives and had them all scanned for posterity. Now THOSE are some great B&W images!

Happy New Year to you and everyone here on GetDPI.
-Brad

D&A

Images of days gone by are certainly priceless, especially those from close family members. Must be a treat Brad to go through some of them. Happy New Year to everyone too!

Dave (D&A)

bradhusick

My mother and father met when she was 13 years old. My grandfather took lots of photos of her as she grew and eventually married my dad, whereupon my dad kept photographing her. She's now almost 79 and I just selected the 100 best photos of her and created a book of them for her. Many of them she had never seen.

She says she looks at it three times a day and shows it to everyone who visits her.

If you're interested, here it is to browse:

Babette by Bradley Husick: Biographies & Memoirs | Blurb Books

These were all shot on Rolleiflex cameras with various films and the negatives were expertly scanned at 4000dpi by GoPhoto.com in California.

Sorry to hijack this thread. Getting back to the original post, that special chrome Monochrom camera sure looks sweet.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I have all three M bodies …the M240,M9 and Mono . I shoot primarily street and enjoy getting out on the streets in locations like NYC,Paris and Venice . Had 70K street images on the M8/M9 bodies but I ve also adapted my D800E kit to use Leica R lenses. So I ve seen the differences between CCD and CMOS at a fairly detailed level . I want a similar not identical aesthetic so that the files can be grouped into collections ..that appear timeless.

The color produced by the M9 CCD is still my favorite and I think its much better than the M240 at base ISO ..so below ISO 400-640 …the M9 produces all that I could ask for . The M9 exceeds my expectations for great IQ .

The M240 is significantly better in every way except for the CCD verse CMOS discussion . It is substantially more responsive ..larger buffer ,has a decent battery and a better viewfinder . The basics are better …I don t want to use the EVF ,LV or movies ..I want a RF camera for my street work . Once I start shooting the new M240 is a seamless transition from the M9 .

Beyond the handling and operational improvements ….the CMOS sensor now gives me what I ve needed for years ….decent ISO1600 ..with enough latitude (DR and Color) to freely shoot at IS)1600. Its about 1 1/2 EV better than the M9 without killing IQ. That is what lead me to the new M240 more than anything . I can continue to improve the color as I did with the D800E but the M9 will never shoot clean ISO1600.

The MONO is a different situation ….its just exceptional . After some experimentation I went with yellow filters on each lens when using the MONO ..this gave me a very nice file in LR5 with no effort . I actually think I will be able to establish some presets so that a card can be processed like a roll of film . This takes some effort and I am still working on it .

I would sure like to have a bigger buffer (the Mono is really slow pushing lossless raw files that are 36MP) ,the battery is awful and the viewfinder just not as nice as the new M . But if I am shooting black and white ..I am trying to do serious work (expect to print large ) and the MONO is in a class by itself .

Brad makes a strong argument that the M240 black and white files are likewise superb and its expensive in both $$$$ and invested time to get a high level of results from multiple systems .

Something about the MONO just makes me want to pick it up and learn how to produce better results .

BANKER1

Brad,

What a wonderful thing you did for your mom and yourself. It reminds me why I came to love photography many years ago. My mom had a large collection of photos she accumulated over the years, and I looked through them many, many times as a youth.

Greg

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Special Editions like this means a new model is coming soon, perhaps one based on the M240.
Unfortunately for the ensuing discussion in this case it means no such thing at all. This “special edition" was commissioned by the Dutch importer to mark the official opening of the first Dutch Flagship Store. Nothing more…

D&A

Brad,

What a wonderful thing you did for your mom and yourself. It reminds me why I came to love photography many years ago. My mom had a large collection of photos she accumulated over the years, and I looked through them many, many times as a youth.

Greg
+1! Quite agree. Brad, what an absolutely wonderful gift you've provided her and I can't imagine much else thats more special. I can see what she treasures it. Aside from those obviously requiring images for specific jobs or purposes, this is what photography was meant to be...creating lasting memories.

Dave (D&A)